question about home made wort chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvinit

Reaction score
building a wort chiller ,using 1/2 inch tubing my question is is it ok to solder a fitting to the lower part of the coil it will be submerged in the brew when cooling will the solder bother the brew?

Ditto on lead free. Standard solder used for home plumbing. The same stuff your drinking water passes through. Solder melts above 400 degrees, there's no worries at boiling temperature.

When I did my wort chiller, I calculated that using silver solder would cost me more then buying solder-less fittings. If you're not planning on soldering other stuff later on, especially if you don't already own a torch, go for solder-less fittings.

good point jfsp! If you only need one fitting use a compression fitting, you should be able to get a good SS one for $10. Gas + torch + solder + flux will run you $30-$60. Since you'll be boiling the chiller in the wort at the very end you won't need to worry the nooks and crannies on the fitting.

You don't need to buy silver solder, just regular lead-free pluming solder from the plumbing department. You do need a torch, though.

I made mine with 3/8". I bent so that both ends were outside the lip of my pot. My choices were 20' or 50'. I opted for the 20'. After 1 use, which went great by the way, I decided to get another 20'. I bent this coil small enough to fit inside the first. I connected the 2 sections with a foot and a half of vinyl tubing and hose clamps. I put both in the wort but ended up pulling the small coil and putting it in an ice bucket. It worked very nicely cooled from boiling to 67 degrees in less than 20 minutes. My water is getting cooler every day so it should get even quicker.

i bought 1/2 soft tubing {more surface area} as far as fittings go they are cheap, a disposable bottle for soldering is cheap, and the mickey mouse torch head is about 15 bucks,i will be soldering the hose adapters on the top also,so there is no chance for leaks and it is permanent,a couple of parker hanafin push on hose clamps complete the operation

I guess I just thought that the ability to sweat copper was kind of a prerequisite of getting your man card out of probationary status. When in doubt, learn a new useful skill.

Yes, regular plumbing solder is fine but darn do I hate the new eco friendly water based flux.

I guess I just thought that the ability to sweat copper was kind of a prerequisite of getting your man card out of probationary status. When in doubt, learn a new useful skill.

Yes, regular plumbing solder is fine but darn do I hate the new eco friendly water based flux.

shouldnt be a prob soldered ,brazed,or flared i have the technology

When I did my wort chiller, I calculated that using silver solder would cost me more then buying solder-less fittings. If you're not planning on soldering other stuff later on, especially if you don't already own a torch, go for solder-less fittings.

Are solderless fittings designed to be immersed in boiling liquid? We are talking about the Shark Bite type of fittings, aren't we?

Back