Apple Wheat (When to add the apple)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyg354

Plant Based Homebrewer
Reaction score
So I am heading to an Oktoberfest celebration Oct. 15 and want to experiement and make an Apple wheat beer. Since Apple coincide with fall. My question is. If i use fresh apples, should I add some to the boil and some to the secondary? Any suggestions as to how much in each?

I have been reading alot about flavor like fruits and honey lately. I read some suggesting to add after the primary fermentation has dropped
so you dont lose flavor to the boiling

I add fruit after primary fermentation has completed. The main reason is that you don't want to give the yeast a bunch of simple sugar (from the fruit) until after it's done fermenting the complex sugars of the beer wort. The yeast can become conditioned to only eat the simple sugars if they are present in significant quantities at the beginning of the fermentation, so you can wind up with an under-attenuated beer.

Back