Orange zest in an American Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbeerguy

Reaction score
Is Orange zest appropriate in an American Wheat? Here is my recipe:

Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.50 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 5.26 %
4.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 42.11 %
4.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 42.11 %
0.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 5.26 %
0.50 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 5.26 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer [3.90 %] (60 min) Hops 13.7 IBU
1.00 oz Hallertauer [3.90 %] (30 min) Hops 10.5 IBU
1.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.50 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Safale US-05 Dry Ale Yeast (Fermentis #-) Yeast-Ale

I am going to be using fresh orange zest, not the dried peels. I was just wondering it that will work with the American yeast. Should I add corriander to it as well? I am not looking for a highly spiced wit, but rather a nice refreshing wheat. Thanks in advance :mug:

On the corriander part, I would personally leave it out. I don't like that flavor in blue moon, shock top etc.

I'm beng kind of hypocritical because I am about to use it in a Sam Adams clone I am trying to piece together haha

I've used lemon zest in an American Wheat of my own design. Gives it a good lemon taste and is nice on a hot day. Was thinking about trying orange zest in the same recipe

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator?group=25&item=5643

I did this recipe a couple years ago when I was still extract brewing and it turned out great. It used the zest from 2 lemons and 2 oranges . I think I remeber putting the zest in the microwave for a couple seconds to kill any nasties before adding them to the primary.

I might do a all grain version before the end of the summer. I might even use your grain bill and hops additions.

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator?group=25&item=5643

I did this recipe a couple years ago when I was still extract brewing and it turned out great. It used the zest from 2 lemons and 2 oranges . I think I remeber putting the zest in the microwave for a couple seconds to kill any nasties before adding them to the primary.

I might do a all grain version before the end of the summer. I might even use your grain bill and hops additions.

I put mine in the last 5 minutes of the boil

Is Orange zest appropriate in an American Wheat? Here is my recipe:

Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.50 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 5.26 %
4.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 42.11 %
4.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 42.11 %
0.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 5.26 %
0.50 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 5.26 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer [3.90 %] (60 min) Hops 13.7 IBU
1.00 oz Hallertauer [3.90 %] (30 min) Hops 10.5 IBU
1.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.50 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Safale US-05 Dry Ale Yeast (Fermentis #-) Yeast-Ale

I am going to be using fresh orange zest, not the dried peels. I was just wondering it that will work with the American yeast. Should I add corriander to it as well? I am not looking for a highly spiced wit, but rather a nice refreshing wheat. Thanks in advance :mug:

Should work out nice! In a way, American Wheat beers have a lot of room for interpretation, with one main condition being the use of American wheat yeasts vs. Bavarian for the clean profiles it provides.

Using fresh orange zest should be a nice addition. You really dont need to add too much, and, I recommend that you add it at flame-out and not during the boil.

Here is a suggestion/technique that someone else once told me and it works very well.

Create your zest (I use 5 large oranges usually for a subtle addition to 11 gallon batches) from oranges that have been rinsed and then quickly soaked in starsan or similar. Place in a sterilized bowl, and then add a few teaspoons of vodka, just enough to coat all the zest when you stir it around. This should take care of any little buggers.

Add the zest to the hop bag or similar right at flame-out.

Works well in my opinion!

Cheers :mug:

Wow thank you for all the responses! I ended up adding the zest with 5 minutes to go on the boil. I didn't add the corriander either. Smelled fantastic! I can't wait to try this one. I'll make sure to update and let everyone know how it turned out.

Just updating this thread. It's been kegged since the 8th. All I can say is FANTASTIC! This is one good brew. The Orange Zest is a great compliment to this recipe. This is an easy drinker and is very refreshing. I am going to add this to my recipes, I really recommend that you give this one a shot. I think you will be happy with the results.

Thanks for everyone's input! :mug:

Back