World Beer Festival - Raleigh, NC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyBroas

Reaction score
Anybody going to this year's World Beer Festival in Raleigh on April 24th? I'm considering it as it's only a 5 hour drive and I have friends there, but would like to hear if someone has gone to one of these in the past and what they thought. It actually looks sold out except at one of the pubs. The brewery line up is good, but not amazing.

Any thoughts? Anyone going?

I've gone to this (as well as the fall session in Durham) for most of the past 4 years or so. I've always hit the afternoon sessions after numerous warnings that the evening session can be a bit like a drunken frat party. Apparently, only the most responsible people drink in the early afternoon. :D Plus, it is common for some breweries to completely run out of beer during the afternoon session and have nothing to offer in the evening. So, calmer setting and more varieties available.

Anyway.... The fest was always a reason for out of town friends to come into Raleigh so we could hang out for the day, but I don't have out of town friends coming this time, so I'm not attending this time.

edit: the festival is pretty good. It does get crowded and, depending on the weather, can be quite stuffy in the tents. Food is kind of expensive at the festival.

I am going to the afternoon one because it is a little calmer and the food situation is also a little better. I have also done it ever since I moved here in 2006. I agree that the evening session can get a little crazy. The afternoon one can as well, but it is no where near as bad.

I do see more responsible drinking adults at the afternoon (12-4) session, compared to the frat party that the evening session can become. But I also do see some parents with strollers during the afternoon sessions which kind of confuses me a little bit. If I would have kids I would not bring them to a beer festival. But either way you can really enjoy yourself.

You can go with a goal to sample some beers, or with a goal to get really drunk off of a variety of beers.

There's at least 4 GRABASS folks that will be there for the afternoon session. No kids in the bunch but some of the ladies. Maybe GRABASS and HBT'ers could try to meet at some point? I've not been before so maybe that's just silly talk given how chaotic it might be.

Crap, it's sold out. Any idea where I can still find tickets? I'm keeping an eye on Craigslist but so far nothing yet.

There's at least 4 GRABASS folks that will be there for the afternoon session. No kids in the bunch but some of the ladies. Maybe GRABASS and HBT'ers could try to meet at some point? I've not been before so maybe that's just silly talk given how chaotic it might be.

I'll be there working both sessions so hopefully I can spot some of you and say howdy! :mug: GRABASSers unite!

Not that I am aware of, they are all sold out. Craigslist might be the only place to find them. It looks like they are being sold close to face value now.

I saw them on Craigslist by the boatload. You can pay anywhere from face value to well over...

I'll be there working both sessions so hopefully I can spot some of you and say howdy! :mug: GRABASSers unite!

I'll be there, first time as I recently moved here. Whereabouts will you be, Barc, I'll stop by?

I'll be there, first time as I recently moved here. Whereabouts will you be, Barc, I'll stop by?

Sorry I just got back to HBT! I was ALL over everywhere! Hope you had a good time but not as good as some folks! :)

Sorry I just got back to HBT! I was ALL over everywhere! Hope you had a good time but not as good as some folks! :)

No worries, Barc. I was bouncing off both sides of the tents! But not like the "some folks" :drunk: you mention, just sampling all the concoctions. Definitely a good time! I hear the Durham event has better space at the old ball field, will have to check that out.

When you're in town, give me a shout and we can compare notes over a pint or five. :mug:

I had a GREAT time there. Sampled some amazing brews and got to talk brewing with Sam Calagione, which was probably the highlight. Hope you all had a good time as well.

Back