“Hop Pergola” design available by request

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ceannt

Reaction score
I have wanted to start growing Hops for some time now. I have limited space that gets full sun on my little quarter acre lot. The best place is in my front yard, in full view of every passer-by on the planet. Due to this the SWMBO has been resistive of the idea. I had always figured on “tent-pole trellising” with a 16-foot 4X4, and I finally figured out that this was what she was so dead set against. I sketched out a “pergola”, designed specifically for growing Hops, worked out the details, and drew it out in CADD. The moment she saw the drawing all her reservations evaporated , and she is now as excited about it as I am. So, as of now there are two Willamette rhizomes in the ground! Eventually I will expand to 8-plants, with one other variety (Mt. Hood maybe?). I will have to hold off on the pergola construction till later in the year (too many other major projects) and just go with 6-foot stakes for now. But I was thinking that perhaps my little design might be of benefit to others. I have it in pdf format and am willing to share with anyone who wants it. I see no way to attach the file to a post , and I have no website to link it to, so…… send me a PM with your e-mail address, and for a reasonable charge (as in free) I will send it to you.

This is not really designed for growing hops...but pergolas can be really nice on the eyes if built right. We just love spending time in our back yard!

DSC000321.JPG

"design"..... just a fancy Engineering version of Autocad, set up to do a whole lot more than drafting... of course all I did was draft, so I guess it was a bit redundant, just habit......

nice. that is exactly what we are planning for our yard over the next couple weeks. it will be against the back corner of the yard, but same idea. I have 2 hops planted in anticipation of it going up. just have to put up a block wall corner first.:ban:

"design"..... just a fancy Engineering version of Autocad, set up to do a whole lot more than drafting... of course all I did was draft, so I guess it was a bit redundant, just habit......

I use fancy engineering versions of autocad all the time..they all just say CAD.

E.g. CATIA, NX, Pro/Engineer

I thought CAD was "Computer Aided Design"

But apparently "Drafting" is the other word I was looking for.

We use Carlson Civil Suite, an Autocad based system. Plain old Autocad is "Computer Aided drafting".... all the cool stuff is "drafting and design". I used to daydream about this kind of stuff back in the early '80s, and now it's on my desk... I fell a little like Jules Verne sometimes...

Back