Trappist Westmalle Dubbel / Tripel Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Reaction score
Does anyone have a clone recipe for Westmalle Trappist Tripel or Dubbel?

Just tried both and loved them.

Those are gonna be tough to actually clone even if you find a recipe. Most "clone" recipes for Belgians hugely oversimplify the process.

Raise the alcohol with sugar to keep the body low. Use a Trappist yeast.

I'm going to be starting on some Trippel adventures soon. Let me know if you have any success, and I'll do the same.

Tried the Westmalle Trappist Dubbel tonight...WOW! A tremendous beer. Would be very interested in a clone for this one too.

dave

Just brewed a trippel that is tasting great while trying the hydro samples. I'd recommend you guys pick up the book "Brew Like a Monk", it was great reading not only about Belgian brewing techniques as they relate to homebrewing but also in the general history of trappist breweries.

Byo has a Westmalle Tripel clone in the 150 clones mag. Not sure how good it is, though. They have listed another wyeast yeast than the one that supposedly derives from westmalle (wyeast trappist high gravity). Can post it later...

I don't have an exact clone, but it is hard to copy it because a lot has to do with their specific yeast and the temps they use.

Westalle yeast is WLP530
You probably want to brew in the low 70's
OG around 1.80

Use mostly Pale malt
about .25 Belgian aromatic, .25 Special B
around 1 lb of Belgian Dark Candi

maybe Spalter to get your IBUs around 25

hmmm that sounds deadly

As far as I know, what you wanna do with this beer is adding some sugar during fermentation, so the starting gravity won't be so high. Besides, these yeasts
can handle quite a lot of everything.

By the way, I've also heard that Westmalle don't ferment at as high temps as some other breweries, but keep in the low 20's ('C). Not sure about this though, but it seems likely as Westmalle is very elegant and not so estery.

The BYO clone (tripel) is:

12.75 lbs. pilsner malt
2 lbs clear candi sugar
1.9 oz styrians (5%) 60min
.75 oz tettnanger (4%) 15min
.75 oz saaz (4%) 5min
1.2 cups priming sugar (corn)

Mash in at 131'F and ramp slowly while stirring up to 148' (over at least one hour, preferrably over several hours to get high attenuation - Westmalle's is at 88%).
Ramp quickly to 168' for mash out and collect 7 gals.

Boil for roughly 2 hours to get 5 gals.

Ferment at 68'.

Use wlp530 or the wyeast trappist high gravity (though the recipe says wlp500 or wyeast 1214)

If you add the sugar in the kettle, add it with at least 15 min left in boil, though I would add it a day or two after fermentation takes off, boiled in a bit of water to sterilize it.

Haven't tried it out yet, but have fun and tell me how it turns out if you decide to brew it!

I'm beginning brewer, but I know good beer when I taste it. Westmalle Tripel is a great beer. My sister who is a career bartender Lucky 13 SF, my lady who was a pub-tender when I met her, and I all agree that this is our favorite Belgium.

I found this clone recipe and was wondering what y'all thought? I'll post the link:

http://www.homebrewchef.com/WestmalleTripelConeRecipe.html

I have brewed this a few times. I use the actual yeast harvested from a bottle my friends brought back from the monestary. Same with Rochfort 6,8, and samaranth.

From "Brew Like a Monk":

Westmalle Dubbel
OG: 1.063 (15.6 P)
ABV: 7.3
Attenuation: 87%
IBU: 24
Malts: Pilsener, caramel, dark malt for aroma
Adjuncts: Dark candi syrup
Hops: Tettnang, Syrian Goldings, Saaz
Yeast: Westmalle
Primary Fermentation: Pitched at 64f, allowed to rise to 68f, 5-6 days
Secondary: 3 weeks at 46f
Bottle conditioned with primary yeast

Westmalle Trippel
OG: 1.081 (19.6 P)
ABV: 9.6%
Apparent Attenuation: 88%
IBU: 39
Malt: Pilsener
Adjuncts: Sugar (almost 20% of fermentables)
Hops: Tettnang, Saaz, Syrian Goldings, sometimes others
Yeast: Westmalle of course :)
Primary Fermentation: Pitched at 64f, allowed to rise to 68f, 5-6 days
Secondary: 4 weeks at 46f
Bottle conditioned with primary yeast

That's all that is there. You can figure out the grist pretty easily for the trippel, but there are no amounts for the dubbel... and no amounts for the hops either, but at least there are IBU's.

Thank you very much. Any and all information will be useful. I really like the idea of yeast harvesting. Purist! Making this beer is my long term goal. I've only made cider, fig wine, and a London Brown Ale from extract. However, I have a complete machine shop, and formatible skills--see my home page under my profile if interested in what else I am doing.

If you go to the homebrewchef link that I posted, the mashing process has five rests and a mashout. I've looked at HERMS, and an interesting steam mash process, but I was wondering if anyone has tried stirring the grist with a hot water heater element attached to an insulated wand with a temperature ramp controller???

I built a ramp oven for my carbon fiber work. And a simple controller that goes click-click-click-click (on-off-on-off) until the desired rest temperature is achieved.

I use a RIMS for the long "step" mash and it works fine. If have one with ramp capabilities, that would be better.

It's very hard to clone most Belgians. You can make some very tasty beer though. I tend toward the very simple recipes, but that's me. For Dubbels and dark strongs, I do long boils and dark candy syrup. For strong golden and trippels, I use a lot of table sugar after the boil - about 1 week into primary. By alot, I mean about 20%. YMMV, etc.

Back