Barbacoa?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aubie Stout

Reaction score
I recently saw this on the Strange Eats with Andrew Zimner. Basically, they took a whole cow's head, wrapped it in foil, and slow cooked it for a while. When everything was falling off the bone, it was done.

I don't have a cooker big enough for the cow's head and I'm not gonna dig a pit in the backyard. I have found a couple of recipes that call for a couple of pounds of sirloin roast as a replacement using Mexican spices and slow cooking. I figure on throwing a roast on the Big Green Egg, then transfering it to a Dutch Oven with water, spices, etc. Does anyone has any experience with this style of BBQ?

Barbacoa is the meat from a cow's head. It taste different than any other BBQ I've eaten. In San Antonio, you can buy it on every corner. I personally don't care for it. The people that like it say it taste sweeter than the other cuts. Sweet doesn't describe it for me. It is very traditional in Mexican breakfast tacos. I can cook anything on a pit and I can't think of how I would emulate it. If there are any real Mexican places around you, they can hook you up. Luck - Dwain

I've seen cheek meat. I can get it in packs from the local butcher. I figured to try the sirloin roast first and go from there.

Barbacoa is just the fancy original name for Barbeque, typically a whole pig/sheep/goat in a pit.

Barbacoa de cabeza is the head monstrosity you refer to. I've heard the eyes are really tasty.

A local pub in Rochester has a box bbq, and is cooking a pig every 2nd Sunday of the summer months:

https://www.lacajachina.com/Articles.asp?ID=156

I guess it depends on where you are. The photo you show in the link is what I've always heard called a Cochon Delay, slow cooked pig and the box is called a Coona$$ Microwave. In Houston and San Antonio, in areas with a large Hispanic population, I've seen the heads sold, labeled as Cabeza de Vaca in some of the larger grocery stores. I've seen several of the heads cooked, but I've never seen them eat the eyes of the cow. Normally, when you order Bar B Que in San Antonio, you'll get the traditional fare, ribs, brisket, sausage, etc. Most of the Bar B Que places don't sell the barbacoa we are talking about. You have to go to a Mexican restaraunt or a Mom & Pop shop.
That's a thought also, Aubie, check out an ethnic grocery store for the babacoa. Luck - Dwain

Here's the Dutch Oven loaded with my barbacoa sauce consisting of chicken stock, onions, sweet peppers, bay leaves, etc, etc......

IMG_0171.jpg

Sirloin smoking on some Mesquite.

IMG_0172.jpg

Sirloin after 2 hrs in the Dutch Oven with the juices and veggies. Mixed the left over juices back in with the meat after I pulled it.

IMG_0173.jpg

Taste? Think fajitas, but with a BBQ consistency. Good stuff!

Back