Any yerba mate drinkers out there?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyangler18

Reaction score
Just wondering....

Yerba mate is a bitter infusion that is traditionally consumed in Argentina and is incredibly rich in antioxidants and vitamins. I was first introduced to the beverage by an Argentinian co-worker who prepared his mate daily in a gourd and a metal filtered straw called a bombilla.

Tasty stuff, but it's an acquired taste.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMA4xSFm_NE[/URL

Definitely. I just got back from 3 weeks in Argentina, and it seemed like everyone there had a mate and a thermos of water with them at all times. The first few mates taste a lot like hot dirty water, but it grows on you. Add lots of sugar for your first try. Mateine produces a nice "buzz" without the jittery effects like caffeine.

I have some at home. It's not bad. Not my favorite, but every once-in-a-while I like a nice cup or two. I haven't tried the roasted kind yet, only the 'green' one.

Yeah, I've only tried the unsmoked mate myself- and it's a part of my daily routine to enjoy the gourd.

I think that I tried a beer in Louisville with that in it. It was at cumberland brews. A pale ale with yerba somehow brewed in.

I dunno about that stuff not having the "buzz" effect. I had a cup of that a few years ago, and made the mistake of using two of the tea bags instead of one. I now know what Tony Montana felt like after that big mountain of cocaine in the closing scene of the movie...

I dunno about that stuff not having the "buzz" effect. I had a cup of that a few years ago, and made the mistake of using two of the tea bags instead of one. I now know what Tony Montana felt like after that big mountain of cocaine in the closing scene of the movie...

It definitely does produce a buzz, but I don't get jittery on mate like I do after a few coffees. Also, if you used teabags, it really wasn't a true mate. Traditionally, you add small amounts of hot water directly into the yerba mate, and filter it through the bombilla (straw). The teabag version is a lot less potent than the real deal. Sort of like the difference between a Bud Light and a homebrewed barleywine.

Got tired of all the 'pipe' jokes when sipping on my gourd at work. Now I have some on weekends and still get funny looks from SWMBO.

The sharing part is hard for me. I don't like sucking on the bombilla after other people have slobered on it.

Got tired of all the 'pipe' jokes when sipping on my gourd at work.

When I was working in an office, I used to get more comments about the mason jar of green herb than the gourd itself. My office was so full of eclectic stuff (primitive art/instruments, etc) that they just expected the unusual from me. I work remotely now, so I can't share my eccentricities in the same way any longer. :(

My buddy lived in argentina last year and he loves the stuff, even brought me back a pipe and the gourd but I havent tried it yet

Latest posts

Back