Broken hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nstowe81

Reaction score
My hydrometer broke on me ten minutes after mashing in yesterday. It shattered when it slipped out of its container while in my brewing equipment tub. After much debate I decided to proceed and pull a sample, put it in a mason jar until I can get a new hydrometer. Any problems with this plan?

Still waiting on the new hydrometer. And I have encountered a very cool problem. I think the beer sample picked up some wild yeast and has started fermenting.

image-3452275917.jpg

Loosen the lid so the excess CO2 can escape and let that mason jar beer ride. You no longer can get the OG but you might get some interesting yeast out of this. When it is done fermenting (couple of weeks) take a sip of it. If you like it, use this like a starter for a new batch. If it is not drinkable, pour it out and think of what you learned. Then buy 2 new hydrometers so when one breaks...you have another one to break too.:p

Not sure what to think of the Mason Jar Beer. It smells sweet like cherries and tastes sour like medicine. It's not even comparable to the sample pulled out of the carboy which tastes amazing.

Latest posts

Back