Update on why I've been MIA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm glad you did get to drink a final toast with/to him. hopefully, it'll be a fond memory that will help ease the pain. that really is way too young to be taken. my prayers are with you

Neither my brother or I could bear to pour it out. So on Saturday, when my dad's brothers and families started arriving, we pulled it out. My brother, sister-in-law, and I cracked open our own beers, and clinked cans with my dad's and drank to him.
That can had been in his hand, sipped on by him, and was ready for him after his nap.

That was the last time I had a beer with my dad.

Think I have something in my eye...

Yooper, I am so sorry for your loss. Grab on to those memories and never let them go.
I lost my dad in 1997 and he was just 66, just retired and enjoying his family and grandchildren. His funeral was in our church and we had it just 2 days after he passed.
The church was filled to capacity and there was a line outside the church to get in almost a block long. It lasted longer than I could bare but the amount of people who loved and respected him helped our family in ways no words, pictures or thoughts ever could.

To this day, almost 15 years later, thinking of him can bring tears to this grown-ass man. But, that's good because if you're still feeling a loss after a long while, that just shows how much love there was. And, I do believe you will see him again one day.

Thank you all for the kind words- and those of you who remembered his favorite beer!

He has two 30 packs of Genny here, so I'll take them home for Bob and I.

Here's something that I want to share with all of you. He had a habit of opening a beer, and turning the pop top about 1/2 way so he could identify his beer.

He'd drink a bit of it, and then pop it back in the fridge for later.

When I got here on Friday, about 18 hours after he was found, I opened the fridge. On the shelf, there was an opened Genny, with the top turned about 1/2 way. We assume that he opened the beer, sipped on it, and then put it aside for later. He was found at 6:30 PM, sleeping in his chair.

Neither my brother or I could bear to pour it out. So on Saturday, when my dad's brothers and families started arriving, we pulled it out. My brother, sister-in-law, and I cracked open our own beers, and clinked cans with my dad's and drank to him.
That can had been in his hand, sipped on by him, and was ready for him after his nap.

That's awesome Yooper. What a fitting send off.

He must've been a good,honest,hard working guy to be taken at 69. Same age my father died. He waited till after midnight,Oct 10th,mom's birthday,to give up the ghost. He didn't want her to have a bad birthday.
The loss of a father is a hard blow. I know it was for me. Everytime I here a scotsman playin amazing grace on the pipes,it gets me. They're not just fathers,but can be great friends as well in many hobbies & such. He also brewed beer,so I guess brewing is my way of keeping up some things in his memory. Something like that for you in the Genny cream...

Didn't see this until now. My only remaining grandmother passed away a few months back and a very good friend died suddenly at 54 a couple weeks before Christmas, one year short of his retirement, leaving his college age daughter, who I'd seen grow from a small child of only five or six years old. What comforted me during that time was the happy and sometimes side splitting memories, particularly in the case of my friend, that still remain. I hope you find comfort in the good memories as well!

Thank you, everyone. I really appreciate the kind words. I'm back home now, after driving 700+ miles yesterday.

Leaving his house yesterday was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I was three when he and my mom bought that house, and he lived there ever since.

I will miss him greatly.

Very sad news. I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like he was not in pain and did not suffer, with half a beer in him -which is pretty much how I would want to go.

We don't get Gennys out here but I will drink a Hamm's today with the tab rotated, and think of you guys.
Hugs,
Wendy

Very sorry for your loss Yooper.

"That can had been in his hand, sipped on by him, and was ready for him after his nap.
That was the last time I had a beer with my dad."

...sniff...

...On the shelf, there was an opened Genny, with the top turned about 1/2 way. We assume that he opened the beer, sipped on it, and then put it aside for later. He was found at 6:30 PM, sleeping in his chair.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. He sounds like a helluva guy. You do him great honor by being the person you are and remembering him as you do.

I read your post, began crying and El Hubbo was alarmed. So, of course, I had to read it to him. Now we BOTH have something in our eye. Dammit.

I completely understand the toast with the open can. That tugged a heart-string with me too.

After my dad passed in 1996, we had him cremated. My brother and I went to the funeral home to collect the remains. It was a cardboard box.

We drove across our small home town and stopped at his favorite watering hole. He knew the owner really well.

We took the box in and set it on the counter. My brother ordered three beers. The owner gave us a quizzical look, glanced at the box, raised an eyebrow and nodded.

We sat there and discussed dads life finished each of our beers and got up to leave. My brother grabbed the third glass and downed it. I looked at him with a puzzled loook like "What are you doing (drinking dad's beer) He replied to my unasked question "Dad wouldn't have wanted it to go to waste!"

I've been back to visit the grave a few times. Occasionally I'll take a beer along and pour it over the grave. I don't think it actually does anything, its just a remembrance.

Thank you all! I knew you would understand about the beer!

I miss him so much already. There were some things I forgot to tell him about the last time we talked (on Christmas).

And I keep thinking of those things, and then it hits me that he must already know.

Some of them are very small things, but just things I forgot to mention to him. The idea that I can't call him up and tell him now is nearly unbearable to me.

Some of them are very small things, but just things I forgot to mention to him. The idea that I can't call him up and tell him now is nearly unbearable to me.

I hope I am not out of place saying this, but you still have the chance to tell him those little things. Just go for a long walk and have a chat with him, in your own mind, he will be out there somewhere listening. I believe it.

Thank you all! I knew you would understand about the beer!

I miss him so much already. There were some things I forgot to tell him about the last time we talked (on Christmas).

And I keep thinking of those things, and then it hits me that he must already know.

You will get a chance...when I lost my parents, I had feelings and regret of the same sort....Then one night a few weeks later, I dreamed we were just hanging out and chatting. It was very vivid and refreshing. I hope you can experience the same with the same feelings of comfort. A decade later, I still dream about my parents in the same way once in a while.

They never really leave us, remembering our parents is honoring them for what they gave us.

I am sorry for your loss, and hope you can have positive reflections :)

Yooper;
So sad to hear of the loss of your dad. Dads are special to us daughters so the loss can be so much harder. I used to caddie for my dad when I was 10 years old and that started my love of golf. Every time I am on a golf course and smell the grass, pick up a club, or enjoy a beverage at the 19th hole, I remember how much fun we used to have. I am sure you have similar memories that will continue to bring a smile to your face. Hold them dear and never forget.
All the best to you and your family.
Sue

Latest posts

Back