Want to Mash Buckwheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigerface

Reaction score
Ok, I want to try to use Buckwheat as a grain in my next brew. As I have mastered brewing extract beer. First off, anybody know any good articles on how to mash Buckwheat for an all grain brew? Or maybe a combination of
grain/extract. Also, lets say I do want to use Buckwheat as a grain. How many pounds of Buckwheat would I need to make a 4.5% or 5%? Any help would be appreciated.:rockin:

Are you planning on trying to malt it, or just roast it and use it along side things like honey/rice syrup etc?

Well I malt and use buckwheat in pretty much all of my beers. I have found that depending on how you roast it, it depends on whether you get the strange buckwheat nutty flavour or not. I have found doing a crystal malt can get rid of it.

you can get malted buckwheat and allot of other GF grains from Colorado Malting Company

Back