Apollo at Sea (American IPA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tdogtt10

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have heard really good things about Gumball Head and cant get my hands on it in MA. I decided to make my own similar beer to it with a twist (completely different hops). I don't have any amarillo but did just order 4 lbs of hops last weekend and built a mash tun so it is time to play.

Please let me know what you think of the below recipe and how you think I might be able to better tweak it. I am all ears.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1664904

6 Gallon All Grain using California Ale Yeast

Malt & Fermentables
6 LB White Wheat Malt
5 LB 2oz 2 Row Malt
1 LB 2oz CaraVienne

Hop Schedule
First wort - 1/4 oz Falconers Seven Seas
60 min - 1/4 oz Falconers Seven Seas
20 min - 1 oz CTZ
10 min - 1/2 oz Falconers Seven Seas
5 min - 1/2 oz Apollo
5 min - 1 oz Falconers Seven Seas
Dry hop - 1 oz Falconers Seven Seas
Dry hop - 1/2 oz Apollo

OG 1.057
FG 1.014
SRM 6
IBU - 53.4
ABV - 5.7%

Thanks everyone!

Current hops that I will have in my possession include 1 lb CTZ, 1 lb Falconers Seven Seas, 1 lb Apollo, 1 lb Cascade, 1.5 lb Belma.

I imagine that will make a tasty beer, but in my opinion the Amarillo hops are a big part of what makes that beer. I have not used 7 c's, but while different than GH I bet it will be good.

I just learned that all of my hops that were in transit are on the way back to the shipper due to them mispelling the street name that I live on... BOOOO....

Looks like this leaves me with just Belma as a hop choice unless I borrow either some Bravo or Columbus from a friend.

Back