Commercial beers that let you down?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
budweiser,definatly not the KING of beers.i thuoght pliny definatly lived up to the hype.so many flavors in that hop bomb

Sam Adams has been letting me down across the board. I don't know if we are getting the contract brewed stuff but whatever it is the quality has taken a nosedive the past couple years.

There is some brewery in Las Vegas or near Vegas T...something creek. Some people rave about the beers, I found them extremely watery and bland. Maybe it's better fresh or whatever but I was disappointed by them.

Thomas Creek? I dont think thats vegas but if thats what your talking about i agree.

budweiser,definatly not the KING of beers.i thuoght pliny definatly lived up to the hype.so many flavors in that hop bomb

Agreed about the pliny but im thinking Avery majarhja is the king of imperial ipa's (maybe):mug: Not in the same bracket although they are both double or imperial ipa's.Just not a fair specific style to compare them.

One of our local breweries Shipyard surprised me. They're no gold standard, but usually decent.
I've been on a cider kick lately, and enjoyed a bunch with out disappointment, the woodchuck crisp, Sam Smith's Organic, Angry Orchard Dry, etc...

So I saw Shipyard's Applehead and thought "Yummy! Why not?" I was expecting something sort of like Brandon's Graff, what I got was just foul. I mean atrocious, I couldn't believe they drank this and thought "Winning, let's inflict this on the world!"

The problem is they're pushing the hell out of it around here and the stores are jammed packed full of the stuff, and it's displacing things that actually taste good.

Almost anything from Lagunitas except Hop Stoopid. I don't understand the rave reviews they get. Same for Flying Dog. Everything I've had from them has either been boring or off.

dannypo said:
Almost anything from Lagunitas except Hop Stoopid. I don't understand the rave reviews they get. Same for Flying Dog. Everything I've had from them has either been boring or off.

Have you had Lil Sumpin Sumpin? That stuff is a staple in my beer fridge...

Sam Adams Boston Lager. GROSS. Same with their Summer Ale. YUCK!

Drinking a Noble Pils. Not as good as I remember last year's, but I have drank a lot better beer in that year time...

I will say, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale has yet to disappoint me! It is always good and goes down far too easily :) Although my homebrew NB Sierra Madre is close enough, and quite a bit cheaper. I also find that Saranac is consistant, and good for the money craft beer. Not the best, but if nothing else good is available, Saranac is a very safe bet around here :)

One of our local breweries Shipyard surprised me. So I saw Shipyard's Applehead and thought "Yummy! Why not?" I was expecting something sort of like Brandon's Graff, what I got was just foul. I mean atrocious, I couldn't believe they drank this and thought "Winning, let's inflict this on the world!"

I keep seeing Applehead at the store, and keep wondering if it would be worth trying..thanks for saving my hard earned cash.

Mighty Oak from Sam Adams really disappointed me. I was hoping for something better from a sampler referring to itself as a "Brewer's Choice." The Whitewater was also a bit of a letdown.

Just had a Green Flash West Coast IPA and was quite a bit disappointed. I don't know if it's a lupulin threshold shift from all the DIPA's I've had recently, but I had this and an Ithaca Flower Power IPA back to back, and the Flower Power whooped its butt in aroma and taste. I found the Green Flash to just not have enough of a hop character for being a west coast IPA.

tdogg said:
This thread is exactly what the title says; What commercial beers, if any, have not lived up to the hype? I'm around a lot of beer fans and we talk about craft beer a lot. I'm also fortunate enough to work near a great craft beer store, so i have sampled some of the well marketed beer offerings.

Which beers have just not lived up to expectations? I DON'T want this to be a "bashing" thread, just a discussion. Some beers are released in limited quantities to drive up demand, and it often works.

My $.02, I just tried Bell's Hopslam. I have heard so much about this beer that I just had to try it! I have to say I was let down. The aroma was good, but not the big hop nose I was hoping for. The honey taste was present, and overall the flavor was nice. Alcohol was present, which I expected, but in general the beer just seemed unbalanced and definitely not my favorite.

Which commercial offerings have made you as anxious as a 5 year old on Christmas morning, only to find out you got socks from Santa?

-Cheers

Lagunitas Hop Stoopid. Too pale wAAAAAAy too sweet without any real malt character. Maybe it's just me but after hearing everyone rave about I'm just not feeling it. What am I not seeing?

jonmohno said:
The date on the bottle?

I don't recall but it was purchased in a high turnover store so I don't believe it was past its prime. It had good hop character but was too cloyingly sweet.

Hmm 102 ibu's and noted for having huge rich malt in description.I liked it alot. Maybe the new stuff has changed.Its a double are you use to double ipa's?Some of the bigger imperial or doubles can pick up alot of malt sweetness sometimes. It also use to be under description of farmhouse ipa which may explain the paleness but i dont get the paleness matching sweetness are you referring to dry as in pale or just color?

Stone Cali-Belgique (Don't think the flavors blended well)
Bear Republic Racer 5 (Nothing special)

I'm in agreement on Cali-Belgique. It has an unpleasant topsoil nature.

Racer 5 seems to be unusually variable. When it's "on" it's glorious, but it is too often dull or cheesy or something off.

Beck's Oktoberfest was really a disappointment. I like the malt profile in regular (especially canned) Beck's and was hoping to get more of the same from the festbier, but it just tasted like it got a disgusting colorant added.

Racer 5 seems to be unusually variable. When it's "on" it's glorious, but it is too often dull or cheesy or something off.

Yeah I'm not completely writing it off just yet. I have a feeling that being on the east coast, it's very difficult to find it when it's really fresh. I will try it again, and I'll try it with an IPA that I know I really like so I can calibrate my palate next time.

Another disappointment from Green Flash that I just had last week is Palate Wrecker. Definitely does not live up to its name, and was way too malt forward for the description on the bottle. Again, I don't know if it's a freshness thing, but I had Sierra Nevada Hoptimum a week before that, and the hoppiness just blew my away. Now THAT beer is a palate wrecker (in the best way possible)!

jonmohno said:
Hmm 102 ibu's and noted for having huge rich malt in description.I liked it alot. Maybe the new stuff has changed.Its a double are you use to double ipa's?Some of the bigger imperial or doubles can pick up alot of malt sweetness sometimes. It also use to be under description of farmhouse ipa which may explain the paleness but i dont get the paleness matching sweetness are you referring to dry as in pale or just color?

I generally enjoy IIPAs and double/triples but I think for my taste, if the majority of the malt bill is prob just 2 row or Pils then it needs to be drier. Without some additional complexity to balance the sweetness to me it just seems to be too saccharin. I liked the hop profile overall.

Yeah I'm not completely writing it off just yet. I have a feeling that being on the east coast, it's very difficult to find it when it's really fresh. I will try it again, and I'll try it with an IPA that I know I really like so I can calibrate my palate next time.

Another disappointment from Green Flash that I just had last week is Palate Wrecker. Definitely does not live up to its name, and was way too malt forward for the description on the bottle. Again, I don't know if it's a freshness thing, but I had Sierra Nevada Hoptimum a week before that, and the hoppiness just blew my away. Now THAT beer is a palate wrecker (in the best way possible)!

I think it was a freshness issue for you on the Palate Wrecker, for sure. I thought Hop Head Red and West Coast were mediocre/crappy at best, but then had Rayon Vert and decided not to give up on Green Flash.

I saw Palate Wrecker last night and figured I'd run into a similar freshness issue. There was no bottling date on it but I figured I'd give it a try anyway and I was really impressed!

If they keep it around and ever start to put bottling dates on it - you should grab a fresh one if you see it!

I really didn't enjoy Sam Adams Infinium. I could barely finish a pint of it. Just too sweet for me (I think, there have been many beers in my mouth since then).

I also don't really like Fat Tire or DFH 90m. I like the 60 though.

Pliney = over rated, but good. Ale Smith X , I heard great thing about it but tasted too piney for me..

DFH 120 wasn't worth drinking. World Wide stout was interesting but still just not what I would call good.

Gigan said:
Pliney = over rated, but good.

Agreed. The problem with Pliny is there is no way ANY beer could live up to the hype that it gets. It is excellent, and fairly unique of a beer. But there are so many great beers now that it's just not reasonable to put one so far above the rest. Of course it will disappoint.

However, if you want to taste TRUE disappointment try standing in a line for 5 hours to try Pliny the Younger. I am pretty convinced at this point that the worlds best beers are coming out of our garages.

I just had a bottle of Kentucky Breakfast Stout ad I have to say that all I could taste was bourbon and chocolate. not my favorite.

DFH 120 wasn't worth drinking. World Wide stout was interesting but still just not what I would call good.

I agree with the 120. I haven't had WWS in almost 10 years. I hear it get's really good after a few years of cellaring, but I can't speak from experience. DFH did say they were putting WWS on hiatus this year to make room for a few new yearlong offerings.

well - the last time i drank a case of blatz, i really didn't get the diarrhea that i used to- i guess their product is on the decline. Also vitarroz malta - terribly underattenuated...

Agreed. The problem with Pliny is there is no way ANY beer could live up to the hype that it gets. It is excellent, and fairly unique of a beer. But there are so many great beers now that it's just not reasonable to put one so far above the rest. Of course it will disappoint.

However, if you want to taste TRUE disappointment try standing in a line for 5 hours to try Pliny the Younger. I am pretty convinced at this point that the worlds best beers are coming out of our garages.

True

The wife and I went to the coast an bought a growler of dead guy. So unimpressed they charge so much more than other beers and I'm not seeing it. Now I do believe that Deschutes brewery is putting out some awesome beer!

agreed. The problem with pliny is there is no way any beer could live up to the hype that it gets. It is excellent, and fairly unique of a beer. But there are so many great beers now that it's just not reasonable to put one so far above the rest. Of course it will disappoint.

However, if you want to taste true disappointment try standing in a line for 5 hours to try pliny the younger. I am pretty convinced at this point that the worlds best beers are coming out of our garages.

amen.

It's hard to get DFH120 around here, but I would rather have a 90 anyway. Rasputin RIS tasted fine, but definitely overhyped, not enough flavor. Would rather have a Founders RIS, now that is a BIG and surprisingly clean yet complex beer. Founders Centennial IPA tastes to me like a watered down version of Bells 2hearted. Boston lager. 600 pound monkey...Mostly agree with the previous poster that the best stuff today is probably being brewed in garages...or maybe really tiny brewpubs.

I had very high hopes when I brought home a bottle of this beer today.
Boy was I disappointed.
About the only thing remotely Belgian about this beer was the bottle format.
Maybe it's the cumin (something I would reserve exclusively for cooking).
Reminiscent of an English bitter gone terribly awry.
I'm a bit sad because I really like what these folks are doing up there, but they won't be around long brewing beer like this.

Lagunitas Little Sumpin Wild - On tap in Portland at a place across from Rogue - Slightly soured, hints of acetobacter with a cough syrup viscosity. Difficult to finish but each drink I kept telling myself it can't be this bad. I had Lagunitas Czech Pils bottle recently and their IPA on tap at Tenaya Creek in Las Vegas a while back, both of which I enjoyed. This brew not so much.

Schlafly Pilsner - On tap in Kansas City. Cant say it was a disspointment b/c I had never heard of the brewery before, and had been drinking Boulevard all week so I wanted to mix it up, but this pour was the worst beer I've ever consumed. If benzene and diacetyl somehow made their way into my glass, I wouldn't have been surprised. Maybe they pitched some stressed yeast into a nearby fracking resevoir....

edgeoftheUS said:
Lagunitas Little Sumpin Wild - On tap in Portland at a place across from Rogue -

They messed up this last batch. I've had it before and it was excellent. This last batch was just short of nasty. Belgo by New Belgium is the best example of the Belgian IPA I can find lately. It's damn good.

They messed up this last batch. I've had it before and it was excellent. This last batch was just short of nasty. Belgo by New Belgium is the best example of the Belgian IPA I can find lately. It's damn good.

Interesting, maybe ill give it another shot if I see it next year. Haven't had Belgo by NB, can't say I've seen it in the far NW either.

I'm surprised at the frequency of seeing DFH on here, but maybe that's just my DE pride. I like a lot of their stuff, and the fruity beers are actually pretty damn good for what they are (Raison D'etre, Punkin, Aprihop). By far the worst DFH I've ever had was Festina Pesche. Peach beer, as my buddy described it: "Vomit."

Also, I'm rather underwhelmed overall by Magic Hat. #9 is drinkable, but nothing else I find noteworthy.

By far the worst DFH I've ever had was Festina Pesche. Peach beer, as my buddy described it: "Vomit."

Festina Peche is what vaulted the significant other back into beer drinking so I can't hate on it even if its not my taste. DFH calls it a neo-berliner weiss, in reality it taste like a highly carbed fruit syrup soda to me.

I brew berliner's sans fruit and buy lambics for the Saturday/Sunday soccer/football events in place of buying wine. I was surprised by the number of woman who said they didn't like beer, but drink both of the aformentioned in copious amounts. I was even more surpised by the number of men who "only" drink stouts and imperial ipa's fall back to the berliner weiss when they think no one is looking.

In terms of underwhlemed beers, I'd also have to add Elysian Night Owl on tap this year. One of my favorite pumpkin beers but I always get bottles. Had it on tap on Sunday and was sadly underwhlemed. Taste was harsh and had some bitter notes at the end, similar to when spices are added to the boil and not the whirlpool or primary.

My wife will hardly ever drink beer but she's a sucker for those horridly sweet blended fruit lambics.

I had very high hopes when I brought home a bottle of this beer today.
Boy was I disappointed.
About the only thing remotely Belgian about this beer was the bottle format.
Maybe it's the cumin (something I would reserve exclusively for cooking).
Reminiscent of an English bitter gone terribly awry.
I'm a bit sad because I really like what these folks are doing up there, but they won't be around long brewing beer like this.

They've been around for a long time and that beer is universally loved. Just goes to show that not everyone has the same tastes.

:mug:

They've been around for a long time and that beer is universally loved. Just goes to show that not everyone has the same tastes.

:mug:

May have been old - I have had many (ok, too many) of these - got a bad one a month ago and couldn't get the second swallow past the molars...

Just had a fresh one yesterday - big Belgian goodness.

Just something else to toss out there - I love IPA's but be careful of the order in which you drink these! My latest IPA tasted like dirty carpet after a Port Mongo (awesome, BTW). The next day, my IPA magically tasted great again.

I quit buying 6packs from consumers beverage (our brew store in bufahole), because they are old and oxadized 1/2 the time. Got sick of bringing them back and the slack jawed kid workin the counter thinking i'm trying to scam him or something. Alot of the six packs don't have dates on thier packaging. Now I just fill a growler everytime. It's a limited selection however. I need a full barrel system so I do not run out of fresh homebrew damit :guzzle:

Back