Propane valves and a sealed gas tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kord78

Reaction score
Morning all!

I need some help here as I am trying to figure out how to make a sealed square tube for propane dispersion to two honeywell valves. So what I need to know is:

- What size/type input port to mount on the sq. tube so that I can hook a propane tank up to it.

- If I am using a 30 PSI propane tank (standard grill propane tank correct?) what size honeywell valves could I use? - I was thinking 1/4" in/out? Do they make those? I have found 1/2" valve assemblies, but no 1/4". Lastly, do I need special couplers for these or do I just mount 1/4" OD threaded pipe to the tube?

Any input on this would be great.

Thanks all!

The attached image shows the basic structure that I would run with. The "threaded" bumps outs are all 3/4" long and are just there for example purposes.

6066-sealed-gas-tube.png

OK, a little more info on that OHG? What type of tubing would you suggest?

I am seeing tons of people using square tube - bunches of threads, the Brutus system uses square tube, etc.

Thanks!

P1040281.jpg

P1040278.jpg

Black iron pipe available at any hardware or home improvement store, that is what is design to be used for gas. Don't use galvanized either, the zinc reacts with the gas.
Just because we see something doesn't mean it's safe.
Gas is very dangerous, why risk injury?

The last thing a redneck says before he dies: "Hey, watch this!"

Those home-welded gas tubes make me nervous ... It's like strapping a pipe bomb to your stand ...

I made my brewstand and manifold out of 2x2 inch mild steel square tubing, 1/8" inch wall, like Lonnie Mac's original Brutus except that I used mild steel instead of stainless.

I drilled holes with a step-bit to just barely bigger than the outside diameter of the weldable steel 1/2 inch NPT couplings I bought. They were weldable steel couplings, smooth cylinders, not like the cast iron fittings you find at HD or Lowes. I don't recall where I got them, but maybe McMaster Carr. I couldn't find anything like that locally.

Then I made a little jig to hold them in place and I just welded them in. I didn't do anything special to seal off the ends of the manifold. I just welded it to the legs on either side.

I leak tested it when I made it, and again a couple of months ago. No leaks. I'm using natural gas, not propane. Square tubing may not be rated for gas, but it is working fine for me. The low pressure gas, whether NG or propane, is certainly not going to pose a problem.

That said, I do worry about my welding prowess and the continued leak-free operation of the manifold. That's why I test it now and then. It was my first ever welding project, and my welds are definitely not the best. I wouldn't go that route again. In my opinion, it is just as easy and more versatile to use 100% black pipe for your manifold, and just clamp it to the back of the stand.

Can black pipe be welded to a mild steel brew stand?
And if it could be done, would that be perceived as unwise?

Cheers!

Not sure I understand the question... do you mean welding the fittings on to turn the frame into a manifold or attaching the pipe to the stand?

P1040120.jpg

Back