20.5g Bayou brew kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoalCracker

Reaction score
Does anyone use the BBK 20g pot? I am looking for a 20 gallon without breaking the bank. They say 18g steel so It's not super thin, although not built like a tank either. This will be siting on a brew stand so it won't be moved around much at all. I like the mega pots but don't like the dimension for a 20g. Too wide. Blingmann is a bit out of my price range. So if you've used the 20g, I'd like to hear some feedback. Next choice would be a penrose if they can make a 20g.

CC

I did read a lot of amazon reviews on that and the 25 gallon bayou classic pot that said there were leaks in the rivets by the handles. I was considering going that route until then. After a lot of consideration I decided to go for megapots, and they are great and are high quality. I have a 15G and plan to pick up a 25G pot in the near future for a BK

I read that too. Asked brewhemouth if they would do a custom kettle and they aren't able to. Well I'll wait until I'm ready and see if I can get a used 20g blingman.

Let us (or at least me) know what they say. I wish I could get a blank blingman in the 25G size, no dials, no nothing. But I heard they don't do that. Though I never asked.

Does anyone use the BBK 20g pot? I am looking for a 20 gallon without breaking the bank. They say 18g steel so It's not super thin, although not built like a tank either. This will be siting on a brew stand so it won't be moved around much at all. I like the mega pots but don't like the dimension for a 20g. Too wide. Blingmann is a bit out of my price range. So if you've used the 20g, I'd like to hear some feedback. Next choice would be a penrose if they can make a 20g.

CC

Yes for 6 months now. It is my HLT/HERMs kettle. I added 4 weldless bulkheads with ball valves and a HERMs coil between 2 of them. Never had a leak and I fill it to the brim. I bought it at Stainless Steel Crock Pots. It is 18ga 304 SS just like the Blichmann. I copied the electric HLT/HERMs kettle build at theelectricbrewery.com

$149 with free shipping and 4 days from order to delivery.

I use the 20 gallon pot from Bayou Classic and I have been really pleased with it. I use it with a basket for BIAB. I just installed a ball valve with a side pickup, works out real slick. I can't say a bad thing about this pot. I'd say go for it!

Squirrels- would you mind grabbing me the dimensions on that? I can't find them listed anywhere.

Thanks!

Coalcracker

just to follow up on this. I ended up buying the 102qt stainless Bayou brew pot for 208 shipped. What a great deal... I returned the pot.

Couple reasons were:
1. metal quality was much less than the megapot, or blichman - metal was thinner feeling.
2. handles were tiny (couldn't pu my hands in them to lift the pot)
3. the rivets were tiny, and no plate to reinforce. i.e. I suspect this is why they leaked for some people. If you were to lift any amount of liquid with the handles I could see them working loose.
4. the dimensions of the pot weren't as stated on the manufaturer's website. They were actually 19.25 inner diameter vs. reported 18.25. I called the manufacturer and the smallest diameter they could find was 18.75.
5. you could see the tack marks and the joining part of the sheet metal (where they joined the sheet metal on the pot).

Just poor quality IMO. it was 239 shipped to get the 100qt from megapot from AHS - which based on the wrong dimensions (larger) there really wasn't much difference in the diameter between the megapot and the bayou. My megapot was spec in all its measurements.

I am sure it boils wort, but it won't find a place on my rig.

Thank you for this review. I was on the fence about it and this seals the deal. Maybe I'll go with the Penrose as my second choice. Or a used 20g Blichmann if I can find one.

Thank you for this review. I was on the fence about it and this seals the deal. Maybe I'll go with the Penrose as my second choice. Or a used 20g Blichmann if I can find one.

No problem man. When i saw that pot for $208 I jumped all over it. Was disappointing when I got it.

If I could find a used 20G blichman I would would be all over that ;)

I hear you on the dimensions of the megapot. Would I like them to taller and skinnier? Sure! But eh, I will just have to adjust for a bit more boil off. the pot itself it pretty bomber.

Good luck!

just got a killer deal on this kettle it's 19" x 19". Pretty sure it's a 25g pot. 75 bucks w/ lid

2011-09-16201337.jpg

That's my 4yo nephew for size comparison. Probably weighs about 30lbs. Great pot. Couldn't pass the deal up.

CoalCracker said:
just got a killer deal on this kettle it's 19" x 19". Pretty sure it's a 25g pot. 75 bucks w/ lid

That's my 4yo nephew for size comparison. Probably weighs about 30lbs. Great pot. Couldn't pass the deal up.

So which one is it, where from and how much?

Life is Good!
David

it's a home made jobber. Looks kind of like a penrose kettle. Can't wait to use it but won't get the chance until I finish the new stand. Plus still need to get a valve and site glass. Paid 75 bucks.

Awesome price and an awesome score! I ended up getting a megapot shipped from instawares (25G) for 207.92 shipped! But not as good of a deal as yours!

Back