Interesting, Jim Koch made a video to answer my question on facebook

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilsons

Reaction score
So this is kinda cool,

So myself and another person named David posted on Sam Adams Facebook page asking why they always include Boston Lager in the variety packs, well i expected a canned answer from the company typed up, but what we got was a homemade video from Jim Koch addressing myself and David (my names Rick) explaining why he puts them in thier, i thought it was kinda neat! Here is the video

[ame]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=464110943940[/ame]

That's pretty cool. I wish more upper management types took the time to actually respond to customers' questions sincerely like this, without coming across as jerks, a la Steve Jobs answering email sent to [email protected].

Edit: If I have to go grocery shopping this evening, I may actually just pick up some Sam Adams because of this video.

That's pretty cool. I wish more upper management types took the time to actually respond to customers' questions sincerely like this, without coming across as jerks, a la Steve Jobs answering email sent to [email protected].

Edit: If I have to go grocery shopping this evening, I may actually just pick up some Sam Adams because of this video.

Agreed, this is some great customer service! :tank:

The engaging and charming thing about Jim Koch is that he actually manages to convey the passion and interest he feels in his product, rather than just the process (the bottom line of the corporation).

Well, I want to go out and buy some Sam Adams now. That was pretty cool of him. Good question too by the way. And a very good answer too. It is very much like an experiment, there has to be a control.

No doubt about it- he's a great guy with a great company. He's very personable, and gracious when you talk with him, and of course he's a homebrewer at heart. Those of us who have had the chance to have a beer with him have come away with very good impressions of him.

Thanks for the video!

I am not satisfied with his answer. To condense, "Boston lager is great, Boston lager is great, Boston lager is great, and finally, Boston Lager is great."

Wondering if someone would post a link for those of us that don't facebook. If not then I guess I won't ever see it.

It's a facebook video posted directly to facebook, so unlike an embedded video to facebook with an external link like youtube, you are out of luck.

I am not satisfied with his answer. To condense, "Boston lager is great, Boston lager is great, Boston lager is great, and finally, Boston Lager is great."

Eh, he didn't voice it well, but it makes sense to me. Not that it's the greatest thing in the world, but that it's their gold standard. You aren't just tasting the other beers in a vacuum, you're tasting them in relation to Boston Lager, because they think it's the most enjoyable of their beers but they want you to decide for yourself side-by-side.

Boston Beer Company's big customer base is much more mainstream than, say, Dogfish Head's (continuing comparison to Sam Calagione above), and people just getting into the alternative beer world could probably benefit from having a standard metric to compare to. At least more so than those of us who have already had hundreds of beers of different styles.

Well, since I'm one of the last ten Facebook holdouts in the Universe, I don't get to see the cool video. F*ck Facebook and Mark Zuckerman.

Eh, he didn't voice it well, but it makes sense to me. Not that it's the greatest thing in the world, but that it's their gold standard. You aren't just tasting the other beers in a vacuum, you're tasting them in relation to Boston Lager, because they think it's the most enjoyable of their beers but they want you to decide for yourself side-by-side.

Boston Beer Company's big customer base is much more mainstream than, say, Dogfish Head's (continuing comparison to Sam Calagione above), and people just getting into the alternative beer world could probably benefit from having a standard metric to compare to. At least more so than those of us who have already had hundreds of beers of different styles.

That's an excellent answer, but that's not what he said.

Eh, it's their flagship product, he's made it very clear over the years (not just in this video) that Boston Lager is his baby. It's like having a house beer on draft. You go to a pub, maybe they've got a Maple Porter in the fall, or a hefeweizen in the spring, or a spiced winter ale around Christmas time, but they've always got the APA on draft. There's always that one beer that you always want to have around, that one go-to beer. That's how I heard his answer.

Very cool that he responded directly. I have a kind of hard time buying that he really can taste new nuances in the lager after 26 years. I normally buy Sam Adams beers when I want a mild, somewhat bland, but decent representation of a style to introduce someone new to beer tasting with. Still, I've gotta respect it if he really does enjoy his flagship beer that much and isn't just putting it out the way it is because it's a publicly traded company.

:off: You'd think he'd be able to afford a tripod though.

Eh, it's their flagship product, he's made it very clear over the years (not just in this video) that Boston Lager is his baby. It's like having a house beer on draft. You go to a pub, maybe they've got a Maple Porter in the fall, or a hefeweizen in the spring, or a spiced winter ale around Christmas time, but they've always got the APA on draft. There's always that one beer that you always want to have around, that one go-to beer. That's how I heard his answer.

thats the way i heard it as well.

"That's the beer that I've been drinking every day of my life for almost 26 years."

I have heard him say that his goal in life, his sign that he lives well, is if he can drink a beer that he made every day of his life.

Cheers to that.

Back