Help a brother out. Losing carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aylmer

Reaction score
During bottling, I have the simplest and most primitive method of siphoning. Yes, I suck and use my thumb as a stopper. During my last batch, the beer would splash on the bottom of the bottles, releasing every last bubble of carbonation. Now, two weeks after having been bottled I tried my caramel ale for the first time. It's flatter then texas. Anyways, I'm planning on throwing it back in secondary with 2 cups of sugar and another package of ale yeast for another month as the bitterness is a bit overwhelming also. Feel free to call me an idiot and tell me why, because at this point I have no idea what i'm doing. Any suggestions and/or objections to my plan?

Did you add priming sugar the first time? It may take longer than 2 weeks to get adequate carbonation but you sound in a hurry.

I would get some carbonation drops and open the bottles and drop one or two into each and recap.

Ever heard of a bottling wand?? They work great for what you are doing.

It sounds like he's trying to bulk carbonate in secondary, then rack carbed beer to the bottles. Sorry but it doesn't work like that. You mix the sugar in, then rack to the bottles. The carbonation happens in the bottle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gracias fellas. I will not rack to secondary and just add some more priming sugar and recap and wait, what, two weeks?. Carbonation drops are expensive at my lhms. And exactly how much priming sugar should I add to each bottle? I've only used the boil and pour in the batch method.

Back