Worst beer I've ever had...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoctorDuvel

Reaction score
Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat.

Tried it about two years ago, couldn't even finish the bottle, which is kind of rare for me. And it wasn't skunked. My friend described it..."take bud light, throw in some fruit loops, and strain it out"...there's your sunset wheat. Everyone thought it was disgusting. I black-listed Leinenkugel for over a year until I decided to give them another shot and had their amber, which wasn't bad. One thing's for sure, I'll always remember the Sunset Wheat.

I guess its all a matter of taste....I enjoy the Sunset Wheat on a hot summer night...although it is definitely not a beer that you can drink several bottles of...at least not for me. After about two, the sweetness is too much for me. My wife loves Sunset and summer Shandy (I'm not a fan of the Shandy at all).

there was actually a wide array of tastes that night at my place...from hardcore IPA drinkers (i used to be one) to casual drinkers with good taste to "girls"...all thought it was nasty crap haha...

obviously there are people who like it because i see it everywhere...and my friend's friend just got a kegerator and filled it with sunset wheat lol

I don't mind it for a hot summer day. It's not your thing if you preffer IPA's and such. But definetly way better then budweiser.

I actually dig this beer on tap, but I've never had it in the bottle. The ladies LOVE this beer for whatever reason.

That's a subjective statement and I respect your thoughts. That said it's not my favorite Lienie's. Creamy Dark and Big Butt Dopple Bock are great - their Red is pretty good to, but more than four bottles in an evening and I've got a headache the next day.

Well, Dick Leinenkugel just withdrew his bid for Senate in Wisconsin, so he'll have more time to work on his beer.

Well, Dick Leinenkugel just withdrew his bid for Senate in Wisconsin, so he'll have more time to work on his beer.

At least he did something right...

His beer sucks rocks... I hate it, probably more than any other beer. Living in Wisco, Leini's is everywhere and gives craft beer a bad name IMHO, because people think they are drinking a microbrew(ish) beer and the style they indicate on the bottle is never well represented.

I had become pretty disenchanted with "fruit" infused beer, Pete's Wicked Strawberry Blonde (to me) tastes like the crap wine cooler I drank in my 20s. There's also some east coast produced Blueberry ale that had a sort of sour aftertaste to it, dumped it, gave the rest to Boyfriend who will drink anything.

There are exceptions, of course (Ephemere, Three Philosophers, Avery's "Sixteen") but in general, the fruity wheat beers targeted to the "non-beer drinking female" demographic are not all that appealing to me.

At least he did something right...

His beer sucks rocks... I hate it, probably more than any other beer. Living in Wisco, Leini's is everywhere and gives craft beer a bad name IMHO, because people think they are drinking a microbrew(ish) beer and the style they indicate on the bottle is never well represented.

Please send me cases of New Glarus Old World Porter and Cranbic, STAT.

I actually dig this beer on tap, but I've never had it in the bottle. The ladies LOVE this beer for whatever reason.

I don't know any ladies who like it, but I have a (male) friend that likes it. He's the only one I know that can stomach it, though.

I tried it once, but couldn't finish it. It tastes like Fruity Pebbles cereal with beer poured over it instead of milk. It's so awful that it's unbelieveable.

I don't care for any of Leinie's beers, except for their Big Butt Dopplebock. Since they only make lagers, and I'm not a lager fan, I don't drink many of Leinie's offereings.

Living in Wisco, Leini's is everywhere and gives craft beer a bad name IMHO, because people think they are drinking a microbrew(ish) beer and the style they indicate on the bottle is never well represented.

well Im glad Im not the only one who thinks Leinenkugel Brewery is a joke in the microbrew world.

IMO, their best beer is the Leinenkugel Original. Its the only one that doesnt taste like it has artificial flavorings in it. The worst of the lot is the Fireside Nut Brown. What the f*ck is that???

I don't know what is up with the midwest and crap beer.. but I still have nightmares about Strohs. :cross: I remember those days when I was a younger lass, working for rent discount at one of those fancy apartment complexes - the kind with a clubhouse - I was more or less the keg girl for the summer barbeques and Sundays with da Bearz...

...keg after keg of Strohs. *twitch* Talk about a bad introduction to beer.

I don't know any ladies who like it, but I have a (male) friend that likes it. He's the only one I know that can stomach it, though.

I tried it once, but couldn't finish it. It tastes like Fruity Pebbles cereal with beer poured over it instead of milk. It's so awful that it's unbelieveable.

I don't care for any of Leinie's beers, except for their Big Butt Dopplebock. Since they only make lagers, and I'm not a lager fan, I don't drink many of Leinie's offereings.

LOL

exactly!

so glad others are coming forth...together, we can get through our trauma caused by leinenkugel's sunset wheat

my word, can you imagine if this was someone's first beer? the horror :eek:

Worst I've had was Sam Adams Scottish Ale. Way way too malty for my tastes. Only beer I can think of that I refused to finish drinking solely because I disliked it so much. Other beers I've disliked, I've been able to at least choke down.

ETA:
Oh yeah, I totally forgot about Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. Ick.

I actually liked Sunset Wheat for a while and drank a lot of it. Now, it's a too sweet for me to have more than 2. I do like their 1888 Bock, but not as much as Shiner Bock or a good dopplebock like Celebrator or Troegenator. The WORST beer I've ever had as many others here can attest to is Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic.

If you liked that one, you REALLY need to try the Berry Weis!!

sunset wheat i like.
but i can do without the berry weis. bought a 6-pack of berry weis, opened 1 bottle, took 1 drink and spit it back out. wife didn't care for it either so we dumped the rest of the bottle and gave the other 5 bottles to a freind that we knew liked it.
the summer shandy is alright.

sunset wheat i like.
but i can do without the berry weis. bought a 6-pack of berry weis, opened 1 bottle, took 1 drink and spit it back out. wife didn't care for it either so we dumped the rest of the bottle and gave the other 5 bottles to a freind that we knew liked it.
the summer shandy is alright.

Im with you on this.. I love Sunset Wheat and Summer Shandy, but Berry Weis tastes like a smurf pissed in a beer bottle.

Sunset wheat is disgusting. Literally tastes like they did a "dry hop" with fruit loops. Wtf.

Other disgusting beers I've had are SA Cranberry "lambic" and Magic Hat #9. Had to pour both of them out.

Ha. I tried a Michelobe Ultra Pomegranate.

The only beer I have ever poured out that was intentionally brewed to taste like that.

Ha. I tried a Michelobe Ultra Pomegranate.

The only beer I have ever poured out that was intentionally brewed to taste like that.

They shouldn't even PUT the Michelob name on it. It just looks like it's got epic fail written all over it.

Like fruit flavored Zima.

Heineken Light. I love the beers more people put down as skunky (Grolsch, Heineken, St. Pauli), but this stuff has no redeeming value. I like a grassy bitterness to beer, but watery skunky bitterness sucks - it makes the hops seem like an off-flavor.

I like Leinenkugel's.

McGarvey's or McGravey's or something like that... Scottish was BAD.

I'm glad someone else said Pete's Wicked Strawberry blond. My taste buds have nightmares still of that unfortunate swill flowing over them. First post!

I have had the misfortune of tasting Cave Creek Chili Beer. (http://www.chilibeer.com) The only possible explanation I can offer is: It seemed like a good idea at the time..... :-/

If you want a good laugh, convince someone else to try it and just watch the look on their face.

My wife hates sunset wheat, which to me indicates good taste. Although, she did marry me, so I guess her taste is a mixed bag.

Sunset Wheat= delicious. Summer Shandy= created to refresh you after mowing the lawn. SA cranberry lambic=inspired me to brew a better version. Its funny reading so many diff opinions on these beers. Im curious if people hate Leines b/c they are owned by miller. Take it for what it is, non traditional, not categorical beers that are different. Here in Michigan, we love shandy on the golf course. It flew off the shelf. Someone mentioned fireside....last year it tasted like they burned the malts in the fireplace, but its good again this year. People need to relax on "craft brewers" even as they expand.

Sunset Wheat is ok...I'll drink it if I have to (actually had one a couple days ago that a friend had left in my fridge), but I wouldn't buy a 6-pack if I had any choice. I think the Berry Weiss is worse. It has that same fake-fruity flavor, but it's just way too sweet, and it just ends up overpowering any other flavors. I'm not hating on Leinie's in general for being Miller-owned...their Summer Shandy is a good lawnmower beer, and the Fireside Nut Brown Ale and 1888 Bock are decent.

I have had the misfortune of tasting Cave Creek Chili Beer. (http://www.chilibeer.com) The only possible explanation I can offer is: It seemed like a good idea at the time..... :-/

If you want a good laugh, convince someone else to try it and just watch the look on their face.

Amen man, I posted in the other worst beer thread that Cave Creek gets my vote for worst. beer. ever. That **** is vile. Not even worth trying for the novelty factor of a beer with a jalapeno in the bottle.

Ive had a few Leiny dumpers.Seldom come back ever for any but will try anything once or twice just to try it,to not dump would be a waste of a good beer to drink instead.

lol, somehow i didn't catch this...a year ago!? time flies

Latest posts

Back