Killer pizzas??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cape Brewing

DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Friday night is always "Pizza Night" in our house and then we pop in a movie for our two young sons... (so mommy and daddy can relax and have a beer)

We're running outta great pizzas... Anyone have any suggestions.

A couple of our standards are:

BBQ chicken pizza... shredded grilled chicken with some BBQ sauce, Mozz, red onion, green onions, maybe some green pepper.

Proscuitto and fresh basil: self explanitory... regular pizza sauce, mozz, fresh basil and proscuitto.

We've got a chicken alfredo with diced pancetta in now.... we'll see how it is.

white pie:

take some sliced onion and carmelize them over med low heat in a skillet with some olive oil and a little salt. It takes a while 45 minutes? Till they are golden brown and lovely. Or you can rush them and it will still be good... add some pepper, garlic, a good dry italian blend (oregano, basil, rosemary). Then mix in one of the small cartons (6oz?) of riccota cheese, stir it around real good. Add in some shredded parm while stirring it. Check your seasoning.

Spread that on your crust. Top as desired. I love sliced meatballs, red onions, more garlic.

I love sliced meatballs on any pie though.

Let me know what you think.

or spinach, feta & roasted garlic. (over white or red sauce... mix in some mozz for the kids)

or go crazy: bacon, black beans, red onions, jalapenos, and a dash of Texas Pete

Or use some pesto for sauce... either make your own or cheat and use the package of Knox brand from the envelope (or jars of it)

Yes... I have a pizza problem. It goes well with my beer problem.

And make your own crust and cook it at 500 degrees... mmmm

I made this last week. Incredible.

Buffalo and Smoked Mozzarella Pizza.

I used crumbled up spiced up buffalo burger patties, grilled onion and smoked Mozzarella. Baked it on a pizza stone in the Weber. :drool

Three-Cheese Overdose
---------------------------
  1. Spread a thin layer of olive oil on a pan.
  2. Spread/lay dough on pan.
  3. Spread a thin layer of olive oil on dough.
  4. Make layers in this order, in quantities that push your limits:
  • mozzarella
  • fresh ground black pepper
  • fresh chopped basil
  • a little more mozzarella
  • shredded romano
  • crumbled gorgonzola

Bake at 425 deg. F. for 10-15 minutes, depending on how brown you like your crust and cheese.

-Steve

Steve... you are killing me. Now I am going to have to make dough and make pizza. And it is midnight and I am not sober. GRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Great plan.. simple, elegant, looks great.

I grew up in Buffalo and I don't know where Rachel gets that crap. Keep your wings and pizza separate but eat them together! I think the white pizza sounds great Mike! I'm going to try that one. I usually stick to the traditional NY pizza and keep the toppings sparse and simple but that sounds killer. I think it is easy to "over do" a pizza. I think it's all about the cheese, sauce, and crust. Everything else should just be there to enhance the flavor but not cover it up.

I like the combination of radicchio, pear, and gorgonzola. Skip the sauce on this one, though... or go very lightly with it. Needs a bit of mozzarella, but too much will ruin it.

Oh, and Rachel Ray is a insipid dumb bish. That is all.

Cool, thanks for the suggestions! The alfredo chicken and pancetta was awesome... The pancetta is opretty salty and the alfredo sauce from the parm is also a bit salty so I used a good amount of fresh cracked pepper and the pie was really really good. It's on our keeper list.

And Chefmike.. absolutely, we do 500 degrees on a pizza stone in the oven. No wood-fired pizza oven... although... someday...

Sweet... thanks guys... looks like we might be making some more tonight!

I often go with the Thai pie, though no meat here. Whenever I make a Thai dish mid week, I put aside a bit of the sauce for our pie on the weekend. Just a basic coconut milk sauce with peanut butter, cilantro, and all the normal spices. Top with a little cheddar, veggies, and some form of protein if I'm feelin it.
Also, I haven't seen anyone suggest the tried and true margarita pie. And we are in prime tomato season for it. Last night I added roasted garlic to mine to give a little more flavor.
I like to puree some fresh (uncooked) greens (kale, chard, arugula, etc) with ricotta and a dash of nutmeg. Use this as the sauce base and top with mozz, a little cheddar, carmelized onion, roasted garlic, and walnuts. Then a little parm. yum.
Or, olive oil, minced garlic, fresh tomato, thinly sliced fresh mozz, red onion, goat cheese, and sprinkle of parm. Layered on in that order.
Also, I have been all about the whole grains lately, so have been making my dough accordingly. Hearty and healthy, 100% fresh milled whole grains on my little home mill. Love to top it with a red sauce, a blend of mozz and swiss or provolone or some other rich cheese and some veggies.

Oh, and Rachel Ray is a insipid dumb bish. That is all.

HEY! My last name's Bish and I dont think I've met any family members as dumb and annoying as that Biotch!

With that said, I like the BBQ chicken pizza I make. You basically chop up leftover BBQ chicken or saute chunks of chicken with a little oil and some BBQ sauce. The pizza sauce is equal parts canned pizza sauce and BBQ sauce. I know that sounds a little weird but it's surprisingly good!

You could have a plumbing service, Bish and Sons, or Sons of Bish's Tire Repair.

On topic though, I love a good blue cheese, pinapple and meat pizza. Tang, sweet and salty all on one. I also loved my last olive and bacon (cook the bacon first and then crumble it on prior to cooking) and mushroom. I house favorite of the SWMBO is artichoke hearts (in water if possible), olives, cheeses and when in season slices of tomato (and she loves the sauce, so sauce it well). Make sure to cook as high as possible because it is a wet pizza!

For the thai style, I used to go to a place that did a crust that was cooked, then made a thai style salad on it and you eat it kinda taco style by folding the entire crust in half. Chicken, sprouts, lettuce, little niblets of peanut and then sauced with a tangy peanuty, cocnut flavored "veniagrette". Fecking Awesome! You could do it anyway you want, but I would make sure to either make the pizza family or personal sized. Be sure to fork holes into the crust prior to cooking otherwise you will have a pita balloon instead of a nice pizza dough.

By the by, my go to cheese topping is Pecorino Romano and Mozzarella. Flavor and stretch. Gouda though is awesome on pizza! Costco, $14, large wedge of Gouda with red rind. That is the creamiest most tasty cheese in the world. I love hard to find cheeses too and that is a high up on the list for availablity and flavor (no searching high and low for it or paying out the ass)

A good old cheese pizza

I like some whole wheat dough in the crust.
Moozerelly, Parmesan, romano, sharp provolone and Asagio maybe some Fontina too.

Mashed potato and bacon with sun-dried tomato
Just do it, I'm tellin you.

Skin on red bliss or yukon gold, cooked as you would for smashed potato
A little sour cream or plain yogurt and lots of black pepper and salt, a dash of nutmeg for the adventurous types.
Mash them beauties up nice.
Spread it over your crust, top with some cheeses then the bacon and tomato

Oh Lawdy!!!!!!!

I didn't have the freakin' freezer space to stuff 30#s of freakin' currants somewhere! And it was 60 f'in gallons... you would think the yeast would toss off enough heat on its own!

and please you know I was joking on the pizza. That sounds damn good.

I gotta get a pizza cookbook.

Might try to make some more sausage for FW's this weekend. I know he pulled my trick on me and told me not to bring anything but heck with him... I might bring some sausage if I can find the time this week to make it.

I didn't have the freakin' freezer space to stuff 30#s of freakin' currants somewhere! And it was 60 f'in gallons... you would think the yeast would toss off enough heat on its own!

and please you know I was joking on the pizza. That sounds damn good.

I gotta get a pizza cookbook.

Might try to make some more sausage for FW's this weekend. I know he pulled my trick on me and told me not to bring anything but heck with him... I might bring some sausage if I can find the time this week to make it.

Screw the cookbook, your mind is the best cookbook.

Another great pizza we used to get over in Wareham was what my BIL called a swamp pizza

Sausage, spinach, tomato, sliced moozerelly, anchovies, black olives and peppers.
Man, I'm dying for pizza right now.

Another good one is the Hawaiian/Portuguese pizza
Pineapple and Chourico!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
For
The
Win

Lisa's birthday is gonna be fun!
Just hope we get good weather.

I try to keep it simple:
Premade Trader Joes Dough (1 bag makes 2 piza "crusts")
Ragu for the sauce
top with shredded montery jack
add
Banana pepper rings, diced red onion, pieces of the "heat and eat" bacon.

Bake on preheated stone in over at 450 for about 10-12minutes...

I typically make the crusts and turn the wife loose on them. She adds things I would never think about and it usually turns out pretty good. Last Saturday she laid down a white pizza with some olive oil, arugula, chicken, and a 6 cheese blend that was great! It sounded weird when she was doing it but I was going back for more. I have no imagination so I do the technical part and let her create. I should probably let her design my beer recipes too...

We grab pizza dough, let 'em rise on the counter for a little while and then go pizza stone in a 500 dgree oven.

I kinda like the mashed potato idea and having had a couple of Babalu's creations so if he says it's good, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I gotta try some of the others on this thread as well.

Back