Orange Peel and Coriander Amounts for Belgian Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fknizner

Reaction score
I'm brewing [something like] a Belgian wit tomorrow, and I was planning on using orange peel from freshly peeled oranges (or clementines), and ground coriander.

Question 1: How much orange peel should I use?

Question 2: How much coriander should I use?

Question 3: at which point(s) during the boil should I add the orange peel and coriander?

I have a scale, so can measure exact weight. Any other measurement standard works too (e.g., the entire peels from 5 clementines; 1 tsp of coriander...)

Thanks!

Question 1: How much orange peel should I use?
Question 2: How much coriander should I use?
Question 3: at which point(s) during the boil should I add the orange peel and coriander?

1) I normally zest two large oranges which is enough to know it's there, but not overpower
2) I normally use .5 oz
3) I normally add both with 5 minutes left in the boil

Usually the beers I make using coriander and orange peel are not heavily hopped so I dump just about everything from the brew kettle into the primary fermentation vessel once I reached pitching temps.

Hope this helps...

I like an ounce of crushed coriander and an ounce of dried peel in 6 gallons. I've also used the zest of 2 large grapefruits, which is also great. Don't boil those, toss them in at flameout.

5.5# Pilsner 2 row malt
5# flaked wheat
.25 pound Munich malt
.5# rice hulls
1oz. orange zest
.4oz corriander
.3oz chamomile
1 tube white lad WLP 400 Belgian Wit yeast
1.4 oz Hallauter 4.10 percent 30 min
Protein rest 122 30 min mash 152 for 45 min mash out 168 boil 85 min

Have this in the fermenting now, smells good wont know how it tastes for a couple of weeks yet.

Thanks, everybody. I kind of averaged out everyone's recommendations to serve as a baseline, then made some substitutions based on my own discretion/experience:

I ended up using .25 oz of ground coriander (I wanted to err on the side of less than more) and I used .5 oz bitter orange peel (the kind you get dried from LHBS), and the zest from three clementines.

I added them both with 5 minutes left in the boil. Hopefully I'll get just enough of both in the final product.

Thanks again

I like an ounce of crushed coriander and an ounce of dried peel in 6 gallons. I've also used the zest of 2 large grapefruits, which is also great. Don't boil those, toss them in at flameout.

I am making two hefes and one with coriander and grapefruit and other with coriander and orange peel or zest. What do you think about the amounts I should add for a 6 gallon? What kind of orange peel did you use? Also should I use more grapefruit since im not since orange peel in that one?

Wow- zombie thread! I personally wouldn't want coriander in a hef, but if you're going to use it I'd go with half an ounce crushed to start. If I'm using dried peel, it's just your standard LHBS dried bitter orange peel (curacao sometimes, same thing). Otherwise, fresh zest.

Back