Mango Mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angels_brew

Reaction score
Was talking to a coworker and he mentioned to me that he would like for me to make some mango mead. My question is are there any recipes to make some?

I made a Mango Mead. My suggestion, start with a batch of show mead and put the mangos in the secondary. Mangos are really the devils fruit, as in hard to deal with. Basically you need to deskin them and then de-seed them. The seed clings to the flesh too, not like a peach.

I recomend the blanching method of removing the skins. Basically it's putting them in boiling water and for a few seconds and then in ice water right away and then using a paper towel or just a thin towel to rub the skin off. Be very careful taking out the seed at this point as it is quite slippery.

As far as amount, I'd go 15 pounds for a 5 gal batch, and in the secondary.

Matrix

Check out the wine recipe section of this site and look up the mango pulp wine thread. I plan to try that out as well as do a mead/melomel version of that. It uses mango pulp in a can which take out alot of that prepping work. Only thing to plan ahead for is the first racking as there will be a ton of sediment/ pulp left behind, leaving with with much less wine compared with how much you started the ferment with. So you'll have to plan your size carboys accordingly.

Back