Gray matter in my grain bed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digdan

Reaction score
I started using phosphoric acid to adjust the pH of my water. Ever since then I've notice a layer of gray material on the top of my grain bed.

This has happened on every batch I've used the phosphoric acid, no matter what my grain bill looks like. Has anyone else experienced this, and mostly... what is it?

Also, since I've used the phosphoric acid, I've noticed that when I boil for long periods of time the proteins develop very long white spider-like strands.

Anyone got any insight for me?

I get the grey material all the time and as far as I know it is the finner part of protien and malt that rises to the top of the mash after conversion. I could be wrong however, so I'll wait for a more experienced answer.

"Gray matter in my grain bed "

I knew it had to happen some day- somebody finally brew his brains out...

Doctors have such a sense of humor sometimes.....went to get wax out of my ear and it was a little grey.... I said... wow... thats all wax (I wear hearing aids so it builds up)... and he said... "Mostly... theres a little bit of brain matter there, but nothing to get upset about..."

You should have responded "That's unfortunate for you, because I think it's the part of my brain that remembers to pay bills, Doc."

I tend to see that stuff in brews with unmalted grains. I figured it was the starches from unmalted wheat. In any event, it's harmless unless it sticks your sparge.

Maybe your adjusting of the pH of your water causes some of the starches/proteins to precipitate out?

As far as the stuff in the boil, I sometimes get "beer bagels". It looks like dough chunks boiling around in there. Again, seems harmless. Hot break on steroids...

Cheers :D

Jeff Meyers said:
According to one of the probrewers recently interviewed on the brewing network...the gray stuff is protein.

Yep, Eric Watson form Titletown Brewery (GREEN BAY, WISCONSIN!) said that.
:ban:

GO PACK, 2-0 in 2006 (so far)

Back