Carbed cider in comparison to still cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meadiator

Reaction score
Is there anyone that prefers still cider over carbonated cider? It seems like it would be much less hassle to make still cider, because even if pasteurization is done improperly, there is a smaller chance of bottle bombs. Thoughts? Opinions? Any feedback is welcome.

It is purely a matter of personal preference. I don't mind still cider, but I carbonate mine. A still cider needs to be good quality, carbing can cover a lack of flavour. It depends a bit on your climate - when it is hot outside a fizzy drink is very refreshing.

I like them both....Dryer ciders, like apfelwine I like highly carbed like champagne. But I did a cider with honeycrisp and heirloom ciders that was back sweetened, and tastes great still.

But it is all preference.

Definitly a matter prefrence. They are different, and so folks can be on either side of the fence. I like to back sweeten, so I gravitate towards still ciders. However, I've had great tasting carbed ones, so I won't say one type is better! :)

The thing to do is that whenever you're trying a new recipe for the first time, split the batch and carb half and leave the other still, and put some of both type aside to age and you can decide over time as you're enjoying them which way you and your friends prefer. That make not of that recipe which way is more popular, so next time you make that type, you can do the entire batch that way.

That's what I did with my first recipe of Apfelwein, and I learned that me and my friends prefer it carbed and a minimum of a year old. So that's how I make mine every couple of years.

I had one still bottle in my first batch, with the rest carbed. I preferred the carbed version better. Also, I forgot to degas the still bottle and popped the cork once or twice.

My second batch got carbed in beer bottles again. I like a med/hi carb level and dry as a bone.

I like my ciders (and wines) to be still, not sparkling. I make all of my wines, meads, and ciders uncarbonated. I also prefer dry ciders and meads and wines. Others like them sweetened. I just don't have a sweet tooth at all, and don't drink anything sweet including tea or soda.

It really depends on your own preferences.

I agree with Revvy about making half and half. I prefer sweet, still ciders, but dry, carbonated ciders. Probably the opposite of what most like, but it's all about finding what you like best.

The other question that arises is whether to drink at room temperature or chilled. I prefer room temperature, I think it gives more flavour. The traditional way for Australians to drink cider is chilled like beer, mainly due to the climate.

Entirely personal - I like both still and carbonated ciders. But I seem to prefer mine the opposite way round to the other posters in this thread. Having drunk cider for many years in Britain I developed a taste for scrumpy so like my dry ciders still, and sweeter ciders carbonated to stop them tasting sickly sweet.

Both are (IMO) best served cold - unless you're using them to cook pork with :)

I agree too with Revvy's post above, make each style of cider both ways at first so you can decide which way you prefer it, then keep making it that way.

The other question that arises is whether to drink at room temperature or chilled. I prefer room temperature, I think it gives more flavour. The traditional way for Australians to drink cider is chilled like beer, mainly due to the climate.

I agree. I drink my bottles at basement temps (60º-65ºF) and my draught ciders the same temp as the beer in the kegerator. (45ºF) The lower temps seem to mute the apple flavor a little.

On the whole, I prefer sparkling ciders. However, pairing a nice dry, full-bodied, still cider with nuts and/or a cheese plate fills a niche that many sparkling ciders would have trouble with.

Generally speaking, carbonation opens up the fruit and make the beverage seem more refreshing while still ciders tend to be a bit heavier on the palate, and emphasize the earthy tones of the apples. It's important to consider the apple blend being used when choosing to carbonate or not. To build on what gredbathurst said, carbonating can help mask lower quality cider, not all good sparkling ciders would be good still, but most good still ciders will make a good sparkling cider.

One thing to watch out for when choosing to carbonate cider is the acidity. I've had a buddy's cider that was nice and tart when still, but he carbed it pretty high (3+ vols) and the CO2 pushed it over the line in terms of pucker factor.

Revvy said:
I like them both....Dryer ciders, like apfelwine I like highly carbed like champagne. But I did a cider with honeycrisp and heirloom ciders that was back sweetened, and tastes great still.

But it is all preference.

Bingo. I like apple wine still& sweet. I like dry cider carbed and usually with another fruit flavor, like cranberry.

Back