Coffin Keezer Build, lid insulation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweets10v8

Reaction score
So Im building a keezer out of an 8.8cuft Kenmore black chest freezer. As I am dismantling the lid I see that there is only 1.5" of batting insulation in the entire lid. Which is probably about an R value of 4-5.

Has anyone thought of, or had experience, adding additional 1.5"-2.0" foam board insulation over and around the lid for an addition R7-R10 or so? Id simply sandwich it between the lid and the plywood base of the top of the keezer.

I know I cant add it around the exterior at all because that's how it get rid of heat and requires a 3" gap minimum. But the lid could take more insulation without harming anything.

Thoughts? Experiences??

I had thought about drilling little holes and spraying Great Stuff Foam inside mine. I did that for my two 10gal coolers. But those were hollow and there is some insulation in the freezer lid. In the end I decided not to add any additional insulation to the lid since it is a freezer and it does freeze. That being said, my freezer is still in the box and I'm building my surround.

I did my 20cf chest freezer that way I added 3/4 foil backed insulation from Lowe's then put FRP board to replace the plastic liner, you can't feel the cool in the top any more. mine only runs for 5-7 minutes every hour now as well.

Thanks,

I started mocking it up tonight..... :) I just used a spare piece of plywood laying around, this isnt anywhere near finalized.

Before_small.jpg

Surround_small.jpg

top_small.jpg

PLywood_small.jpg

Tiles_small.jpg

The cool thing is that I got the freezer on sale at sear for $259, with 15% off because of credit card cash back bonuses!!! So $220 for an undamaged, non clearanced, brand new freezer isnt bad.

I removed my lid and made one out of a 2x4 frame, rubber/foam weather stripping around the sealing edge of the 2x4, & covered that with plywood + some extra over the 4 edges so it overhung the base frame around the freezer chest.

I filled in the base of this 2x4 frame on the "new" lid with spray in foam, then laid in about 3 layers (2 in some areas) of 3/4" insulating foam board.

Still have the lid in tack in case I need to go back to just having a freezer or need to replace the freezer. If I need to replace the freezer I don't have to modify another lid. I can just swap the 2x4 covered plywood top onto the new freezer bottom and pour!

I bought granite, it was SOO FREAKING HEAVY, that I took it back. Im going with the function over beauty idea, Not my "dream machine" but I will still have beer on tap, 120" screen, and pool table "coming soon".

Nice start. I've built all of mine except the lid. The coffin is heavy enough with a tile back splash and I'm sticking with tile or epoxied wood for the top.

I removed my lid and made one out of a 2x4 frame, rubber/foam weather stripping around the sealing edge of the 2x4, & covered that with plywood + some extra over the 4 edges so it overhung the base frame around the freezer chest.
How is your seal? I've been trying not to mess with the factory seal at all. Thats one of the reasons I went with a coffin style over a collar.
I added my foam to the inside, aren't you worried about the flex causing the grout to crack away from the tile?
The tiles I have pictured are actually stick on style vinyl. There was just no way I wanted the lid to weight more than the freezer itself did. All 10 of the vinyl squares I plan on using weigh about 1/2 of a single 12" x 12" piece of granite!

Back