Using Propane in the Garage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigben

Reaction score
Hey!

Ok, first All-Grain this weekend and first time using my burner and keggle.

I'd like to brew in my garage(half garage/half converted to office). But Im afraid. I keep all my lawn stuff in there...weed wacker/leaf blower/lawn mower, etc..as well as gas cans and oil and stuff. So if I were to brew in there would it be safe if I removed everything from there.

Of course I would open the door, but I am just leary of having a giant flame in my garage with all those fumes and stuff in there.

Also, is there anything I need to do to my chiller to prep if for the first time? Does it need to be boiled in vinegar or anything?

Thanks!

Scrub the chiller with pbw and rinse well. If you get the gas/flammables out of the garage, you should be fine. Also, I like to lay a big piece of cardboard down under my kettle/fryer. If you have a boilover, you won't have to powerwash your floor:)

bigben said:
Hey!

Ok, first All-Grain this weekend and first time using my burner and keggle.

I'd like to brew in my garage(half garage/half converted to office). But Im afraid. I keep all my lawn stuff in there...weed wacker/leaf blower/lawn mower, etc..as well as gas cans and oil and stuff. So if I were to brew in there would it be safe if I removed everything from there.

Of course I would open the door, but I am just leary of having a giant flame in my garage with all those fumes and stuff in there.

Also, is there anything I need to do to my chiller to prep if for the first time? Does it need to be boiled in vinegar or anything?

Thanks!

As long as you don’t have excessive “fumage” from kerosene rags, open paint containers, tools soaking in gasoline, you’re fine.

I brewed in the garage all the time…even in the winter. As long as I had the door cracked and nice air flow, there’s no problem. Take some reasonable precautions.

10Gallon_Setup.JPG

Now I brew in my basement. :D

Me_Brewing.jpg

Muncher Dude! Ya gotta get a better captains chair than that folding church basement chair. PLEASE!

I've missed this question....It's been an whole week since I last saw it!!!

:D AND

BierMuncher is still sat their alive drinking that same pint!!!!!!!

Do a test run somewhere with really good ventilation and get that burner cranked up nice and high with the keggle on top. Put some water in it of course. You are going to get a lot of smoke and fumes off a burner when you use it for the first time until the paint has set or burned off.

Don't be too worried though, I just did my first 6 gal boil in my apartment bathroom. 7'6" painted ceilings and only 12" to the closest flamable surface can't be worse than your garage. You're not likely to get any sparks but I'd make a buffer zone and make sure the lids on the fuel tanks and cans are tight. Aluminium foil was my friend for heat reflection.

EdWort said:
Muncher Dude! Ya gotta get a better captains chair than that folding church basement chair. PLEASE!
Already working on it. Got an old lazy boy recliner upstairs (most comfortable ugly chair ever) and four spare castors.

eviljafar said:
Do a test run somewhere with really good ventilation and get that burner cranked up nice and high with the keggle on top. Put some water in it of course. You are going to get a lot of smoke and fumes off a burner when you use it for the first time until the paint has set or burned off.

Don't be too worried though, I just did my first 6 gal boil in my apartment bathroom. 7'6" painted ceilings and only 12" to the closest flamable surface can't be worse than your garage. You're not likely to get any sparks but I'd make a buffer zone and make sure the lids on the fuel tanks and cans are tight. Aluminium foil was my friend for heat reflection.

That's pretty hardcore! I might do it in a concrete basement with ventilation, but that takes the cake!:rockin:

orfy said:
I've missed this question....It's been an whole week since I last saw it!!!

:D AND

BierMuncher is still sat their alive drinking that same pint!!!!!!!
Blah...I did a search and nothing turned up...not in the titles anyway. Didn't feel like reading through 5,000 posts.

eviljafar said:
What's that set of steps for BierMuncher? Are you only 5' tall?

That thar is for lugging up the strike/sparge water. And for getting up there to give the mash a good stir.

Doesn’t look that high, but the ridge of that cooler is right at 5’ 9”.

Thanks for all the tips.

I will probably just brew outside since it will be 60 degrees this weekend.

Just stirring BierMuncher. I'd give my first wife for a garage or a basement, let alone a garage or a basement with all that beer making stuff in it.

BierMuncher said:
That thar is for lugging up the strike/sparge water. And for getting up there to give the mash a good stir.

Doesn’t look that high, but the ridge of that cooler is right at 5’ 9”.

So???? What's up with the step ladder??? :D

Back