collapsable false bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huaco

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to use one of these collabsable steamer backets as a false bottom? It is about 10 inches when open and made of Stainless...

IMAG0757.jpg

IMAG0758.jpg

The grain moves around and gets past the flaps. It doesn't work. It should work to keep whole hops out of the dip rube on the boil kettle though.

I do BIAB exclusivley with a keggle, this is the same false bottom that I use.

Ha...
My wife just saw the photos I posted and said..."What is that??? Is that my vegetable steamer basket? DON'T mess with a vegetarian's steamer basket!"

I guess I will have to get my own for BIAB...

I've also been thinking of doing an expanding false bottom for my mash tun, mainly because the opening at the top is 6" and the inside is around 11".

I started thinking about some stainless screen with some sort of spring form edge, almost like the "pop open" car windshield shades (attached pic). I could make some sort of spacers to keep it off the bottom if needed as well. I'm just not sure on how feasible it would be. It would be nice to collapse it, push it to the bottom, and then expand it to fill the entire bottom.

21334289Warm%20Car%20Sun%20Shade.jpg

Latest posts

Back