"Cold Shocking" Lager yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newton

Reaction score
I'm going to take my first stab at lager beer. I have a crawl space under my stairs that stays a constant 50 degrees all winter and a fridge in my garage that ranges from 33 to 36.

My plan is to do the primary fermentation in the crawl space, rack to corny and then lager the beer till prime summer drinking time. The literature I've read really recommends stepping down the lager temp over several days to avoid "cold shocking" the yeast. I don't really have any means to do this as I don't have any temperature control over the fridge. Anybody have any tips on this? Does skipping the "stepping down" part of lagering really have any affect on the final product, or is this just another brewing old wives tale?

I'm going to take my first stab at lager beer. I have a crawl space under my stairs that stays a constant 50 degrees all winter and a fridge in my garage that ranges from 33 to 36.

My plan is to do the primary fermentation in the crawl space, rack to corny and then lager the beer till prime summer drinking time. The literature I've read really recommends stepping down the lager temp over several days to avoid "cold shocking" the yeast. I don't really have any means to do this as I don't have any temperature control over the fridge. Anybody have any tips on this? Does skipping the "stepping down" part of lagering really have any affect on the final product, or is this just another brewing old wives tale?

You can reduce the temperature faster- as the yeast really do most of the work before lagering. And keep in mind that putting it in the fridge means it will slowly go down to fridge temps.

I'd strongly consider doing a diacetyl rest before racking, especially if you're not experienced with lagers and deciding when to do one.

Thanks for the tips Yooper. I'll probably do a diacetyl rest...but I was thinking also of trying the lagering method proposed in "Brewing Classic Styles". That method is pitching the yeast at 44 degrees and letting the beer rise to its primary temp. Supposedly the primary will then produce little if any noticeable diacetyl, thus eliminating the need for the rest. That being said, I'll probably end up doing a diacetyl rest anyway...

Thanks for the tips Yooper. I'll probably do a diacetyl rest...but I was thinking also of trying the lagering method proposed in "Brewing Classic Styles". That method is pitching the yeast at 44 degrees and letting the beer rise to its primary temp. Supposedly the primary will then produce little if any noticeable diacetyl, thus eliminating the need for the rest. That being said, I'll probably end up doing a diacetyl rest anyway...

That's a good idea. Some yeast strains are notorious for producing diacetyl, while others aren't but doing it the first time as a matter of course can't hurt.

If you pitch cold, be sure to use a lot of yeast. Check Mr Malty for pitching rates but normally this means a gallon starter.

I've done a few lagers now using the method described in Brewing Classic Styles and have not needed a diacetyl rest.

Back