What hops to grow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanRIowa

Reaction score
I would like to be able to brew the following styles:
Vienna
Marzen
Oktoberfest
Irish Red
Koslsch
Pilsner & Bohemian Pilsner
Pale Ale

Any recommended varieties of hops to grow to be able to brew the most of the following? I want to be able to get the most usage out of a few hops varieties.

thanks,
Dean

From the perspective of a grower.
Perle, good dual purpose hop - pale ales, porter,stout, lager weizen, alt, kolsch- alpha7-9.5
Santiam, Spalter select, Tettnanger, Crystal.
Look for aroma hybrids with Fuggle and /or Hallertauer breeding. Try to select dual purpose hops with an alpha between 5 and 10. some excellent duals are: Challenger, Chinook, Northern Brewer, Perle, Santiam,and Vojvodina.
Everybody has their favs - I'm sure they will chime in . . .

If you want to be able to calculate your IBU's in your beer you will need to keep buying your bittering hops, unless you plan on having the AA's tested. If you don't care to know exactly (like me) then you can grow one high AA type, like Magnum, Zeus ext.
As far as aroma, that all depends on your own taste. Buy and oz of a few types and compare the smell. What do you like?

As Greatlakes said; dual purpose may be good too. If you want to have just one plant that can do it all there are some good ones. But again it's a matter of taste. I like my sterling plant (good yield too).

Looks like Cascase for your pale ale. And then a couple of noble hops to cover your german and bohemian varieties. Maybe a Hallertauer, and Saaz or Saaz substitute. Spalt and Tettanger are two others that could be used. Of course these are all traditionally gown in Europe, so adapted American varieties, or even the same variety may have different characteristics in the US. This is on the finishing/aroma side.

You can probably continue using store bought bittering hops (safe route), or get a general purpose bittering hop like Galena or Columbus.

I can't comment on how most of these may grow in Iowa. My Cascade grew well in MN, and my Hallertau struggled (probably a couple of other reasons though). I won't know for sure until I see the growth in their second year.

Back