Farmhouse Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyacovett

Reaction score
I am planning on doing a farmhouse ale. I got the wrong yeast, but heard from White Labs, and was told it should be OK. Now I have to come up with a recipe. This is what I came up with, does this look reasonable???

I'm not sure about the hops, should I add some aroma/flavor??
I am also not sure about the turbinado ..... would corn or table sugar be better?

Batch Size: 5.500 gal
Boil Size: 6.750 gal
Boil Time: 0.000 s
Efficiency: 70%
OG: 1.059
FG: 1.015
ABV: 5.7%
Bitterness: 27.5 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 9 SRM (Mosher)

Fermentables

Pale Malt (2 Row) UK Grain 10.500 lb Yes No 78% 3 L
Munich Malt - 20L Grain 2.000 lb Yes No 75% 20 L
Turbinado Sugar 1.000 lb No No 96% 10 L

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Willamette 5.0% 2.000 oz Boil 1.000 hr Pellet 27.5

Yeast

Wyeast - Belgian Witbier Ale

Mash
149.000 F 1.000 hr

fermentation:
Plan on keeping fermentation around the 85 F mark

I would either do maybe 1.5oz of willamette for 1 hr, .5oz for 10-15 min. Either that or throw in some centennial or cascade towards the end just to give it a little more aroma. That is interesting yeast for an ale, post how it turns out.

PS I just saw your ferm temp, seems a little high but I have never used that yeast. I generally don't ferment any yeast above 75F unless told to specifically which you may have.

Your current hop choice will probably result in a great tasting brew, but if you're going for a Belgian-style farmhouse ale--which it appears you are--I would suggest using Saaz or Hallertau to give it that mildly spicy edge. Willamette is a Fuggles offshoot, so it will probably be a bit more earthy than you would expect for a farmhouse. If that is the character you want, though, looks good to me; I can't see it detracting at all from the recipe.

EDIT: Oh, and a 15 min. addition would probably be very nice. Maybe 0.5 oz of your hop of choice. (As noted above, I'd stick with the nobles.)

+1 on the hops. Saaz is my favorite for flavor/aroma in saisons. I would go with turbinado over corn sugar. Turbinado is slightly less fermentable and will leave you with a slight sweetness that is preferred in saisons. I just brewed one last weekend that used a pound of turbinado and styrian golding for bittering and saaz for flavor and aroma. I also added some rand and grapefruit zest, corriander, and grains of paradise, smelled fantastic.

Latest posts

Back