What's your favorite type of bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbolte1976

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just wondering what everyone uses for beer bottles? I mainly use my PET bottles that came with my Coopers kit. I have been trying to buy Grolsch 4 packs (not a big fan of the beer though) and build up an inventory of these, I like this style of bottle, seems simple and I don't have to mess with bottle caps.

I've thought of breaking down and buying a big set of grolsch styple bottles and phase out my PET bottles. I don't even owne a bottle capper.

Anyway what's your favorite bottle type and size?

:tank:

Jason

I use a bunch of bottles from various colorado micro breweries, mostly new belgium. And I also built up a nice collection of the 22oz jewbelation twelve bottles.

what's your favorite bottle type...
Jason

One Thats Full :rockin:

Actually, I mostly use the standard 12 oz glass bottles most of which came from local microbrews. I am actually in a position of having way to many bottles right now.

I have some 22 ozr's but not too many. I have 2 large boxes of the grolsh bottles that SWMBO got for a steal at garage sale, but I havn't used them yet. I plan on bottling my first Apfelwein in those.

Guinness bottles are my #1 all time favorite. The sexy feminine shape of the bottles, the ease of label removal... Man, those things are just plain sexy.

#2 are Anchor Steam. They just look... arcane? Ancient, maybe? I don't know, but they look like mini-wine bottles. Good stuff.

Don't kill me for saying this, but I did order a few packs of the Mr Beer 1 liter PET bottles (bradsul reminded me) and they work like a champ. Almost a perfect 2 pints after the bottle waste is discarded.

Also, the Odell's bottles are cool. Nice hop wreaths.

I like the ones that start full and end up "in my belly"...

Tha being said, I use the 750ml flip top.

Tim

EZ cap are my fav, but there are expensive, and I'm just getting into kegging so they will get less use now.

Sierra Nevada 12oz, and various imported Imperial pint bottles. (Fuller's, Belhaven, various German flip-tops, etc.) That way I get one pour per bottle, which perfectly fills my favorite Sam Adams and nonic pint glasses. I hate making a second pour from a bottle of homebrew, as tilting it up can stir up the yeast and cloud the beer.

The SNPA 12oz bottles are great...not too tall, completely unmarked, and emptying them of their original content is quite enjoyable.

My bottle collection consists largely of 12 oz. 9 inch commercial recappable bottles.....probably about 450. I toss any like the Sierra Nevada or New Belgium that aren't 9 inch. The glass isn't all that thick in most of them, but they cap & hold up fine. Only had two fail so far. I also have @ 20 of the 16 oz. flip-tops. I have a few larger bottles, but these tend to be problematic unless they can be emptied in one pour, as the sediment gets stirred up.

I have a wide variety of bottles though most are standard 12oz pop tops or 22oz. I like the ones that are a little different or unusual. Like Orval bottles (really nice shape), Red Stripe (The short squat design is quite different), Guiness Extra Stout (another short bottle). The 16oz aluminum bottles I have are really nice. First they are Steelers 75th anniversary, second 16oz is a great size and finally Al bottles are much lighter that glass. My newest bottle is a 2 liter fliptop bottle. It has a great design and was only $10 filled with a German Dopplebock.

Get a capper, they are cheap and easy to use. Then you can use whatever bottles you can get. You don't really need to buy bottles because you can reuse many commercial varieties.

The local grocery store is carrying a German brand in 16oz brown fliptops for $2.75 each. The have Hefeweizen, Bavarian Ale and Dopplebock. All are much better than Grolsh and the bottles are better too. Its not cheap beer but its about the same price as Ez-cap bottles are empty.

Craig

I try to stick with one bottle type per batch. I have a full set of:
1. Grolsch swing-top
2. Standard brown long-necks
3. Sierra Nevada stubbies
4. Anchor curvy stubbies

The grocery store near me carries 24oz Sierra bottles, so I'm accumulating those. I also have a smattering of 22oz guinness extra stout bottles and 750ml champagne/cider bottles. I'd love to have a full set of Red Stripe bottles or Orvals.

Guinness bottles are my #1 all time favorite. The sexy feminine shape of the bottles, the ease of label removal... Man, those things are just plain sexy.

#2 are Anchor Steam. They just look... arcane? Ancient, maybe? I don't know, but they look like mini-wine bottles. Good stuff.

+1 on teh Guinness draught bottles. I had the local bar and grill save me the ones they bought for St Patrick's Day and it was so easy to take off the label and pull out the widget.

Pacifico Bottles are a favorite of mine. Heavy 12 ounce Brown glass with long necks and labels that practically come off while you are drinking them.

I also have a good assortment of German 500ml bottles from Franziskaner Weiss Bier.

Expensive, but fun to empty the first time, and each time thereafter.

Exactly here! (for aesthetic reasons)

However, for actual ease of bottling my 10 cases of German flip-tops cannot be topped!

I like the Sam Smith Taddy Porter bottles. which is good cause I like drinking the Taddy Porter, but kegging setup is on route :) via FedEx so if anyone in South Jersey could use a couple cases of empties let me know/

1. Hoegarden (I like the kneck shape)
2. Red Stripe (SWMBO gets a kick out of the "cute little bottles")
3. Sam Adams... cause I enjoy drinking alot of their brews

I have about 11 cases of 500 ml (16.9) oz. bottles. They are sexy! :D

40246_lg.jpg

I love them but I do bottle in 12 oz for swaps.

I like the Sam Smith Taddy Porter bottles. which is good cause I like drinking the Taddy Porter, but kegging setup is on route :) via FedEx so if anyone in South Jersey could use a couple cases of empties let me know/

+1 on these, Love 'em. The Guiness bottles are awesome too. I have a couple of Fisher flip tops, those are sweet. But mostly I use SN stubbies.

Sam Adams are my main 12oz bottles, I have some random 16.9oz bottles and 12 22oz bottles. I just scored some more 22oz and a few 32oz off of craigslist for free the other day.

I prefer the 22oz bottles because when I say I'm having one beer I get a bit more out of it :)

I have mostly Sam Adams because everyone I know that does not brew drinks them but my new favorite bottle is Bud American Ale. Cool shape and contents are not bad. Also just rinse under hot water and the labels just disapear.

I use 22oz Brown bottles that accept a standard cap. I drink from a 26oz hammered pewter stein, so i only have to use 1 bottle to fill it!

I know everyone like Sierra Nevada bottles but for some reason, my wing capper breaks off the neck of these every time. I hate that. I have no problem with any other non-twist-off bottles. I do have a large collection of 22oz Martinelli Sparkling Cider bottles that are pretty much indestructible.

22oz & short 12oz sierra nevada style bottles. I'd probably do all 22oz if I had enough except for strong beers.

I know everyone like Sierra Nevada bottles but for some reason, my wing capper breaks off the neck of these every time.

You need a new capper! I've capped several hundred SNPA bottles with my old metal wing capper. The only one I've ever broken the neck on was because I accidentally stacked two caps together.

I have a closet with about 6 cases of returnable 16's ... perhaps they will give me back my deposit after 10 years.. and another 6 cases of 12's. I've been putting them in the recycle bin pretty reguar now as I keep getting more.

I'm swing-top for the limited amout I bottle. They really can't be beat. I wish I could buy full Grolsh swing tops around here. I'd enjoy them more than once.

The only bottles I hung onto through a move are two Orval and one DFH Fort (750ml brown US champagne).

750 mL punted bottom green champagne bottles. They hold pressure well and are easy on the eyes. If they were brown, that would but even cooler.

I love my German sparking wine bottles. They are a little shorter and rounder than my other Champs. I love the shape and size of them and they cap beautifuly & hold 750ml. I think they are my favorite thing. But I only bottle in things I have recycled so really anything I get free is good for me.

Back