Advice for someone about to start brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avaserfi

Reaction score
I have been hobbiest chef/baker for a while and am very comfortable in the kitchen loving to create and eat (see some of my work today with a loaf of Challah). Recently, when discussing beer with some acquaintances one recommended I look into home brewing suggesting the Mr. Beer Premium Gold Edition Home Brew Kit and two books The Complete Joy of Homebrewing Third Edition and Clone Brews: Homebrew Recipes for 150 Commercial Beers.

I started researching the kit, primarily, and it seems Mr. Beer is popular for beginners, but many quickly outgrow it. I take my hobbies fairly seriously and would rather spend a little extra money now and save it in the long run as well as getting higher quality materials. So I was wondering if there was better out there, within reason as I have not set up a budget, yet.

I have done some searching on the forum and seen some recommendations, but was wondering a little bit more. As of now I have technically purchased nothing for this hobby, but do have an array of kitchen tools, if that would help at all?

My current favorite commercial beers are: Dogfish Head - 60, 90, 120 minute; Stone - Arrogant Bastard and other high IBU/gravity IPAs. Can't get enough of those :D.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I started off roughly the same way as you, I went for the canned kits which are similar to Mr. Beer. I quickly realized that they do not produce the best beer and are not very challenging or entertaining. I immediately upgraded to all-grain skipping both extract and partial-mash brewing. My advice to you is if you have the money, buy large enough equipment to do all-grain batches but start with extract or partial mash to get a feel for it then you can upgrade. It's not much more difficult but requires extended periods of free time and some patience. The only downside is it is extremely addictive and you will quickly find yourself obsessing over your next batch... well at least I do. The bottom line is to consider how much money you can spend and the time you have. The finished product from all-grain is without question far superior, and with the right recipe, can match almost any brew.

If you want to get started quick and not spend a bunch of money on stuff you don't need, start with buying a copy of Complete Joy of Homebrewing. Read it, THEN buy stuff. Don't bother with Mr. Beer; the results are a novelty, but you won't yield satisfying brew. As Alton Brown says, "Your patience will be rewarded". Your kitchen may have several items you'll need to BYO, such as stockpots and stainless spoons, a digital thermometer, etc., so read first, spend money later. Amazon has the book cheap and you will be glad you waited before buying a bunch of junk you may not need.

I agree, read the book first, it's fantastic. He reminds you constantly to have fun brewing and relax. After you read it, then decide how you want to start.

I have to agree, don't tell your friends about how great your beers are, you will never get them out of your stash after that.
Read:
How to Brew - By John Palmer
If you still feel the desire, you can buy an advanced brewing kit and a couple of recipes from many great online or LHBS, and then feed your new addiction from there.
Best of luck, but note: you have been warned.

As another one who takes their hobbies seriously, you won't learn a lot from Mr. Beer. While my first batch of Mr. Beer was fermenting I started learning more about making beer and quickly realized that I was basically making the brewing equivalent of boxed macaroni and cheese - it tasted OK and made beer, but with a little more equipment and effort I thought I could do better. Of course I was right.

You don't even really need a kit - I scrounged up a couple of clean food grade buckets with good lids from a grocery store bakery, bought a couple of airlocks, hydrometer, racking cane, hose and bottle capper from the LHBS. I found a 3 gallon kettle at Goodwill for a couple of bucks and went straight to partial mashing in a 2 gallon drink cooler. I learned almost everything here at HBT so you're on the right track already. It is a consuming hobby indeed! (pun intended)

+1. You don't want to become obsessed like me, and end up having your friends and neighbors lined up around the block to worship your beer, do you? Huh?? :D

I just had some "friends" leave the house here and its 11:30 on a Tuesday WTF They don't love me... Oh no!!!! they LOVE the BEER!!! Ya know they even left w/ some of my beer.......
**** Why don't I serve them the crap??? note to self****

Looks like I will be doing some reading before jumping in! I will start with How to Brew - By John Palmer since it is free and I can start today. I also plan on picking up the Complete Joy of Homebrewing. Once I get through some of those two books I should have a decent idea (I hope) of what I will need to really get going. I am sure I will have more questions, which is why I am glad I found this place. I was also told there is a near by Brew Store, so I will check that out in a week or two and see what they have/recommend and if it is too intimidating ;).

Ohh, and I intend to obsess, isn't part of the fun? Most people think I am crazy when it comes to the obsession with speakers and their design this will probably be the same :drunk:.

Thanks and I am always open to more suggestions! :D

Just finished reading How to Brew - By John Palmer it was very encouraging. I have a good idea of what I need, but it seems like it would be cheaper to purchase it in a kit rather than everything separately. I figure about $100 to start off with should give me a good set of equipment. Does anyone have specific recommendations of starter kits that have basic supplies? I will be visiting Homebrew Headquarters in Richardson, TX in about two weeks so I can actually look around as well. It seems like it would be best for me to use my cooking tools for cooking and brewing tools for brewing to minimize any chance of contamination so I will start fresh with this.

Also, anyone have suggestions on a great first shot hoppy IPA? I was thinking something like the DFH 60 minute recipe on this site, but think that might be beyond me for a first shot? :confused:

Thanks again.

here's the exact kit i started out with from a local home brew shop in houston defalco's

Double Stage kit. all you need is a large pot to brew in and ingredients. it comes with instructions to do extract brews for 5 gallon batches.
df00199.JPG

Brewing Starter Kits

but i'd go with austin home brew shops kit it comes with everything above and more for 20 bucks cheaper
Deluxe Beer Making Kit [01749]
$86.99
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_33_52&products_id=11357

The Austin Homebrew has three options for the carboy. Is there any big difference between plastic (extra $25) and glass (extra $35)?

I was eying that kit with the 24 quart stainless steel stockpot for my starter kit. From my understanding 5 gallon batches are heated in two groups so a 6 gallon pot should be plenty large. Is it too large though, would smaller be better for starters?

Thanks for all the help!

The Austin Homebrew has three options for the carboy. Is there any big difference between plastic (extra $25) and glass (extra $35)?

I was eying that kit with the 24 quart stainless steel stockpot for my starter kit. From my understanding 5 gallon batches are heated in two groups so a 6 gallon pot should be plenty large. Is it too large though, would smaller be better for starters?

Thanks for all the help!

i started brewing in a 3 gallon kettle but after my first batch i bought a 7.5 gallon kettle makes it easy to go from extract to all grain with no worries. you won't have to worry about boil over either the bigger the pot. for the carboy question i'd go with the plastic carboy does the same thing less of a cost and much safer. lots of horror stories of glass carboys breaking. also plastic is easy to ship and can't break also will bring shipping cost down

I recommend picking up brewing books from the library before purchasing.
I got "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" 3rd Ed. free from a friend along with some equipment, and the book was not for me. I don't care for the writing style, and much of the information is out of date.
I have been very happy with Palmer's book, and I enjoyed reading Korzonas' Homebrewing Vol 1. And there are even more options, so pick one you like. Just like beer :mug:

i started brewing in a 3 gallon kettle but after my first batch i bought a 7.5 gallon kettle makes it easy to go from extract to all grain with no worries. you won't have to worry about boil over either the bigger the pot. for the carboy question i'd go with the plastic carboy does the same thing less of a cost and much safer. lots of horror stories of glass carboys breaking. also plastic is easy to ship and can't break also will bring shipping cost down

Looks like I know pretty much everything I need now.

Thanks again! :mug:

Back