Munich Dunkel Recipe wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UselessBrewing

Reaction score
I'm looking for an AG Munich Dunkel recipe that is low in bitterness and has lots of caramel flavors. Does anyone have one they could share?

You want Munich malt flavor not caramel flavor in a Dunkel IMO. Anyways here is one I did last year that turned out well.

Category Dark Lager
Subcategory Munich Dunkel
Recipe Type All Grain
Batch Size 10 gal.
Volume Boiled 12 gal.
Mash Efficiency 85 %
Total Grain/Extract 18.00 lbs.
Total Hops 3.0 oz.

12 lbs. German Dark Munich
4 lbs. German 2-row Pils
.5 lbs. Chocolate Wheat Malt
.5 lbs. German CaraAmber
1 lbs. German CaraFoam
2 oz. Spalt Spalter (Whole, 4.75 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.5 oz. Spalt Spalter (Whole, 4.75 %AA) boiled 30 min.
.5 oz. Spalt Spalter (Whole, 4.75 %AA) boiled 5 min.
Yeast : White Labs WLP820 Octoberfest/Märzen

Predicted Munich Dunkel Compliance
Original Gravity 1.053 1.048 - 1.056 100 %

Terminal Gravity 1.013 1.010 - 1.016 100 %

Color 17.54 °SRM 14.00 - 28.00 °SRM 100 %

Bitterness 21.9 IBU 18.00 - 28.00 IBU 100 %

Alcohol (%volume) 5.3 % 4.50 - 5.60 % 100 %

I just brewed this 3 weeks ago, turned out great. obviously sub any more appropriate hops you have on hand.

Recipe: Dunkelweizen
Style: Dunkelweizen
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.10 gal
Boil Size: 6.11 gal
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 17.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 15.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 60.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.50 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 4.04 %
6.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 48.43 %
2.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 20.18 %
2.50 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 20.18 %
0.37 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2.99 %
0.37 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 2.99 %
0.15 lb Carafa II (412.0 SRM) Grain 1.21 %
0.75 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] (60 min) Hops 15.8 IBU
1 Pkgs Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300) Yeast-Wheat

----------------------------
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 15.49 qt of water at 169.0 F 154.0 F

A dunkel is traditionally 100% dark munich malt and any noble hops to bitter (little to no flavour or aroma). Use a german lager yeast of your choice and go to town. Try out a decoction mash if you like for even more traditional flavour. :)

jzal8, I'm going to go on a bit of a rant here and make an example out of your post; nothing personal, you just hit on a nerve and I feel that the Munichner Dunkel style is hugely important and needs to be preserved and respected.

If someone is looking to actually brew a Munich Dunkel (a lager), Jzal8's recipe is pretty much the opposite of what you want to brew. Explanation: "dunkel" is just the German word for "dark", although you can often order whatever a brewery's dark beer is in Germany by just asking for a "dunkel" the beer style known as simply "dunkel" is actually a malty dark lager that is primarily Munich malt.

The style is fairly hard to find in the US and dark hefeweizens or "dunkel weizens" and those with enough knowledge to be dangerous often don't realize that "dunkel" is a VERY different distinct style.

German dark lagers (from Munich and Franconia) are most likely the oldest style of lager beers and existed WAAY before the other now famous porter and stout styles of beer; the world will be a terrible place if the "Munich Dunkel" style is allowed to die; it's certainly not the most popular style and confusing it for dunkel weizens or dunkel bocks will not help it to survive. It is a very distinct and super satisifying malty beer; if you want it almost nothing else will suffice. Very similar to a lower gravity of a dunkel bock and occupying the huge color space in lager styles between a Vienna lager and a dunkel bock.

The maltiest and smoothest drinking beer given how dark it is; super easy drinking and appropriate year-round. I seriously love this beer style!

This page contains a recipe from Weyermann, I just brewed it this weekend but given the 30% Vienna malt, and 8.5% CaraMunich I'm assuming that it's on the sweetish finishing side so I put it through a 75 min mash, starting low and ramping the temps up. Eventually I hope to circle back to this post and report how it went. http://www.weyermann.de/can/faq.asp?umenue=yes&idmenue=62&sprache=2

Adam

Back