First Barleywine. Need input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrutalBrew

Reaction score
Ive been doing alot of research on barleywines. This is the recipe that ive created to try for my first batch and would love to have some input. Im using a 10 gallon round cooler as mash tun with a 5 g sparge. Ive lowered my total grain to 24 lbs and adding 2 lbs of DME because im scared I wont have room for more grain. Im planning on fly sparging and end up with around 10 - 12 gallons of pre-boil wort. I will use 2 6g pots to boil down to 5.5 g.
Heres my recipe
Going to use 8g strike at 150f for 90 min. fly sparge 5g at 165f , I will boil how ever long it takes to get down to 5.5g. Think I will strike with as much water as I can due to heavy grain bill. This gives me 20 total lbs of grain to mash. Calls for 6.25 g strike. Hope it fits.

12 lbs Maris Otter
2 lbs Briess 2-row
5 lbs Vienna Malt
1 lb Caramel 60
4 lbs light golden DME
.5 lb table sugar (help dry it some)

1 oz Chinook @ 60
1 oz Warrior @ 60
2 oz Target @ 5

according to brewtarget , if Its correct OG 1.115 - Boil SG 1.093 - FG 1.029 - ABV 11.2

I have no idea on what yeast I need to use. I am not able to do starters. I would like to use dry packs and hydrate. I need something thats good with high alcohol. Ive read some add more yeast and o2 during fermentation at set times.
Also what do you think of recipe. Any thoughts on anything you notice.
will 24 lbs of grain and 8 g water fit in a 10g tun?

I like nottingham for huge beers as it always dries out really well and does alright without a lot of O2. It is definitely going to be a tight fit in your mash tun. One thing you could do is steep the crystal separately on your stove and only put the "must mash" grains in the tun. The last big beer, I BIABed half the grist in the kettle (a very thick mash that gave me 3 gal of 1.080) and then ran in the first runnings of the other half of the grist (mashed in a 6gal mash tun). It worked really well, allowing me to get 7gal of 1.085 all grain wort (pre boil) into my kettle. Its definitely going to be my new method of brewing big beers.

I have a 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler with a stainless steel braid. I can fit 20# of grain and 5.25 gallons of water in and it's almost at full capacity. I probably have an inch or two at the most of headspace.

Cheers.

I dont want to steep because that's going to raise my pre-boil isn't it?

you don't have to add steeped grain at the start of the boil. I usually let it boil down enough that I can at it without worrying about boil over. The other cool thing is you can do a small beer with the second runnings thats a completely different beer style.

you don't have to add steeped grain at the start of the boil. I usually let it boil down enough that I can at it without worrying about boil over. The other cool thing is you can do a small beer with the second runnings thats a completely different beer style.

I thought about doing a second beer but that would lower the gravity reading and I want it a high ABV so Im going to boil down the sparge in a second pot. I guess I could steep the caramel 60 in the pot with the sparge but that still is only freeing up 1 lb.+ sparging the steeping grain to get all the goody's from it

"Bump" I would love some input on this. Will it turn out to sweet? what do you think of this recipe? Is the 2oz target at 5 min a waste of time? Should I up the oz on the chinook and warrior? I dont like heavy dry beers , so should I go with Nottingham or 2 packs of safale 05 dry yeast and hydrate 30 min before pitch?

BrutalBrew said:
"Bump" I would love some input on this. Will it turn out to sweet? what do you think of this recipe? Is the 2oz target at 5 min a waste of time? Should I up the oz on the chinook and warrior? I dont like heavy dry beers , so should I go with Nottingham or 2 packs of safale 05 dry yeast and hydrate 30 min before pitch?

I've never used Nottingham before so I couldn't answer this question for you. I just used 05 for the first time and really liked the neutral character it gave my smash pale ale. I would like to comment on my previous post. I brewed yesterday a Pliny the Younger clone. I used just under 20# of grain with 5 gallons of strike water and you are correct with your volume amounts. I had room for more grain or water. When I batch sparged I had maybe an inch or two once the grain had absorbed from the mash. The Sparge volume was 5 gallons once again. Just wanted to make sure I reported my results.

Cheers.

Back