Flint knives for NWTF

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer

Reaction score
Some knives I made for the local chapters in my neck of the woods. Mike
101_5055_zps7509bc8b.jpg

101_5054_zpsdd746845.jpg

101_5061_zpse80742e0.jpg

It is just one flake at a time. Remove everything that does not look like an arrowhead or knife blade and haft it.<gg>. Thanks for the compliment. Mike

WOW.

I am a knapper, and I have made some small blades. nothing even CLOSE to those. I really admire your skill!

I like it!

Any photos from production?

It is just one flake at a time. Remove everything that does not look like an arrowhead or knife blade and haft it.<gg>. Thanks for the compliment. Mike

Yeah, right...

I watched a couple of guys that the Feast of the Hunter Moon festival in Indiana a couple of years ago and I can safely say that it's not quite that simple!

I'd love to give it a try, but I have no idea where to find suitable rocks in my area.

I have now watched a few knapping videos and it seems like fun, but one of those things that takes ages to master.

Well it won't take ages to learn but probably more than one bucket of rock before you get any where. I been knapping for about 12 years now. Getting enough good rock to start with can be a problem. Mike

Believe it or not, I think that looks like a lot of fun. Congrats, those look awesome.

Other than exhibition, have you used them for anything?

I have killed one eight point with a flint tip and homemade bow and arrow, Butcher deer and fish regularly with blades and flake knives. I don't remember the last fish I filleted with a steel knife. The flint is much sharper than steel. Primitive people had a lot of things really figured out. Mike

Back