First Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCW

Reaction score
I just completed my first brew and I am totally hooked!

I think everything went pretty good... But before the boil I was totally unprepared...

Besides the plastic fermenter, etc. I was pretty much ready to go except I discovered that my kettle could only hold 4 gallons. I suppose I could have done a partial boil, but being a first timer I didn't want to risk a catastrophe. So off to the store I went...

Everyone there was pretty cool to me. I asked them about their kits and they helped me pick out an American Pale Ale recipe kit. When I asked about brew pots, he suggested I buy an 8 gallon one with double-sided walls and a ball valve fitting. It also has a fitting for a thermometer. Twas a bit more than I wanted to pay but I considered the long term and I thought I was good first upgrade to my gear.

Anyway, got the kit, got the kettle... warp speed home.

Unpacked the kit, clean/sanitized my equipment ... Super excited!! ... And then I realized I didn't pick up any water...

Fast forward ...OK so now back from the market, water in the sweet new brew pot, getting ready to steep my specialty grains... and realize... I have no muslin bags. A little defeated at this point, I turn to Google to see, if by the love of everything holy, there was a closer HBS near me. Prayers answered, and it was 10 minutes away. I need to get out more...

The boil went pretty good with the exception that I couldn't get one burner on my stove to put out enough juice to boil all that water. I decided to try turning on 2 burners and positioned the pot to sit over both. It worked. The other issue I had was... the utensil I used to stir the wort was a little uh ... short. Burnt my fingers a bit but I bet it's gonna be worth it in the long run.

I learned a few things on my first brew:
1) Be prepared
2) Don't Panic
3) Be patient

It's been in the fermenter for about 9 hrs now. No activity yet but I'm sure it'll happen soon.

It always helps me to make a list of everything I need if I'm going to the lhbs for supplies. We're all like kids in a candy store as soon as we walk in! So a list helps one to stay focused. Otherwise,it sounds like you're on your way to some good beers!:mug:

Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely write out a supplies list next time. Happy New Year all.

just so you know... that "be patient" one is going to be sorely tested for the next 7 weeks.

and welcome to the fun

In truth I wish it was already bottled in my fridge... I'd poked my head in and it's bubbling away. I think I'm going to run out and grab another fermenter today.

It always helps me to make a list of everything I need if I'm going to the lhbs for supplies. We're all like kids in a candy store as soon as we walk in! So a list helps one to stay focused. Otherwise,it sounds like you're on your way to some good beers!:mug:

^^^^ this about the list.

really important because without it the money seems to fly away really fast.

In truth I wish it was already bottled in my fridge... I'd poked my head in and it's bubbling away. I think I'm going to run out and grab another fermenter today.

oh boy, this one's hooked big time.

and, for what it's worth, after my first brew I went out and bought three cases of one gallon carboys so i could have at least SIX batches going at any one time if i wanted to.

so far, i've only got up to five at a time.

welcome to the abyss

JCW said:

Welcome to the addiction lol :) I'm only on my 4th brew but it's sooo much fun!

I went over my notes and have a couple questions:

1) The directions said to add the 6 gallons of water, then add the grain and steep for 1/2 hour or until the temperature reaches 170. I had issues with one burner not putting out enough btu's to even reach a boil and the temp took awhile to rise to 170. I concentrated more on the water temp and steeped for 50 mins. Because I steeped longer than 30 mine will it have a negative outcome on the final product?

2) I pitched the yeast at 75 degrees (halfway between tempertature range in directions) then aerated the five gallons for 15 min. Should I have aerated before pitching and should I have pitched at a lower temp?

Aerate the wort first,then pitch the average ale yeast at 70F or lower,like 66F. The 50 minutes would be ok if it took that long to get up to temp. But 170 is a bit high,the threshold of leaching tannins out of the grain hulls. 150-165F is more normal.

Back