Boil coming over top of sight glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jknapp

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals- swmbo got me a weldless sight glass for Xmas, I installed and doing my first batch with it. When my wort boils it comes out the top (which is cut level with the top of kettle)

do y'all have any fixes for this annoyance?

Thanks!

mine used to the same, but i found out it was because my sight glass was heating up and the wort was boiling inside the tube as well.

i put a plate on the corner of my burner that protected just enough to keep the sightglass from getting direct heat. worked out perfectly.

I have the same issue with my boilermaker. The scrap of stainless steel they give you for a heat shield began melting in about 2 minutes the first time I used it. The next batch, I plan on positioning the sight glass directly over the leg of the burner to see if that shields it enough. I would think aluminum flashing would burn up pretty quickly based on my experiences using it as a heat shield for plumbing repairs. Have you aluminum guys had any longevity issues using it?

If you don't want to bothered to go out to get the aluminum flashing, a piece of aluminum foil folded to about 2" x 2" works just as well. I've been doing that the last few batches and I've had zero sight glass boiling.

I have the same issue with my boilermaker. The scrap of stainless steel they give you for a heat shield began melting in about 2 minutes the first time I used it.

I bet the template on the one side of the SS heatshield is melting and not the heatshield itself...or else your entire pot would also be melting.

I have a clip on shield for the Blich:

560321_10151124118095130_1393344903_n.jpg

I bet the template on the one side of the SS heatshield is melting and not the heatshield itself...or else your entire pot would also be melting.

Lol, I are smarter than that. I don't know how someone would a) not notice the protective film on the heatshield before using it and b) not be able to tell that it was melting and the heatshield was not.

Lol, I are smarter than that. I don't know how someone would a) not notice the protective film on the heatshield before using it and b) not be able to tell that it was melting and the heatshield was not.

What burner were you using?

I have the same issue with my boilermaker. The scrap of stainless steel they give you for a heat shield began melting in about 2 minutes the first time I used it. The next batch, I plan on positioning the sight glass directly over the leg of the burner to see if that shields it enough. I would think aluminum flashing would burn up pretty quickly based on my experiences using it as a heat shield for plumbing repairs. Have you aluminum guys had any longevity issues using it?

The scrap (10 x 6 SS) melted?
Mine didn't and the first time I used it I cranked up the heat to see how much it could boil off.

Would an aluminum can work as a heat shield? Its melting point is 1,200F.
(that lower than SS which is in the 1400-1450F range)

The scrap (10 x 6 SS) melted?
Mine didn't and the first time I used it I cranked up the heat to see how much it could boil off.

To be clear, I didn't leave it on there until it liquefied. It began deforming and drooping down so I removed it.

I bought a roll of aluminum flashing this week and cut off a 4x8 inch piece to slide under my pot where the sight glass is installed. Worked perfectly today, there was a slight bounce in the fluid level but I was still able to gauge the volume accurately.

Back