Help w/ a recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaFours

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to brew an APA this weekend and was looking for a little help. Here's the recipe I came up with. Any input would be appreciated.

3.69 lbs. American 2-row
1.25 lbs. American Caramel 30°L
0.17 lbs. Belgian Cara-Pils
4.08 lbs. Liquid Light Extract
0.11 lbs. Torrifed Wheat
0.7 oz. Chinook (Pellets, 13.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
0.50 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) boiled 15 min.
0.50 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) boiled 1 min.
Yeast : WYeast 1056 American Ale info

This is going to be my first partial mash recipe. Do you guys think this looks ok? I also want to try dry hopping. I'm not a complete hop head, but do want a strong precense of hops. I was thinking I could dry hop some whole cascade. How many ozs would you guys recommend, and if I'm dry hopping, should I cut back on some of the hops I'm using for the boil?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

p.s., I'm pretty much a complete noob, as I've only brewed two batches thus far. If there are any flaws in the recipe let me know! You can be harsh. :)

Hey LaFours,

Looks good to me. It should have a gravity towards the high end of the style. The bitterness should be right around the middle range for APA. Personally, I'd probably bump the bitterness up a hair, but that's just personal preference.

Don't reduce your hops because of the dry hops. Hops in the boil contribute bitterness, while dry hops contribute aroma solely. I'd throw in another ounce of Cascade for dry hopping.

What I'm wondering is where you got those far out quantities and how you'll measure .11 pounds of wheat :D Cheers!

Janx said:
Hey LaFours,

Looks good to me. It should have a gravity towards the high end of the style. The bitterness should be right around the middle range for APA. Personally, I'd probably bump the bitterness up a hair, but that's just personal preference.

Don't reduce your hops because of the dry hops. Hops in the boil contribute bitterness, while dry hops contribute aroma solely. I'd throw in another ounce of Cascade for dry hopping.

What I'm wondering is where you got those far out quantities and how you'll measure .11 pounds of wheat :D Cheers!

Hehe, I used beertools.com. I know some of those amounts will be hard to get. I'll have to round up or down I guess.

Do you think the wheat in the recipe is ok? And is there a difference between torrified and flaked wheat? My LHBS only sells flaked it seams.

The torrified wheat probably refers to whole ground kernels instead of flaked, but no big deal.

I don't think wheat is very true to style, but, hey, we're homebrewers and APA as a "style: is about 27 minutes old, so knock yourself out. You want wheat, add wheat :D

I've got an update to this recipe. I'm about to head down the the LHBS. Here's what I'm getting. I'm limited to what they have in stock.

3.5# American 2-row
1# caramel 20L
.25# cara-pils
3# Light DME
.25# Wheat

1oz perle
2oz cascades

I'm thinking that there wasn't enough DME. What do you guys think? They only sell in 3# bags. Could I add a little LME? Or do you think that this'll be fine. Again the is partial mash. Hope you guys can help.

Janx said:
... You want wheat, add wheat :D

I like the idea of a little wheat in this APA.

And I like dry hopping. I think it would lend well to this, as Janx states it so aptly, "about 27 minute old" style.

I added an ounce of Cascades pellets the the secondary of my Bock. I know, I know, that's odd. But this is my first lager and when I racked it to secondary, it seemed to be missing some type of aroma and was a bit too sweet. So, I thought, "What the..." and added some. Last Wednesday, it had been four weeks, so I took an SG and sampled it. I really liked the results. Bottom line - glad I dry hopped! :D

Back