wine coolers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used a wine kit called Island Mist. It is a wine based drink, similar to Arbor Mist that you buy in the wine shops.

It comes in flavors like Blackberry Merlot, Green Apple Reisling etc...

My wife doesn't drink much so I bottled them in beer bottles and capped them. You can add a little carbonation to them if she likes the fizz...

NYeric said:
I have used a wine kit called Island Mist. It is a wine based drink, similar to Arbor Mist that you buy in the wine shops.

It comes in flavors like Blackberry Merlot, Green Apple Reisling etc...

My wife doesn't drink much so I bottled them in beer bottles and capped them. You can add a little carbonation to them if she likes the fizz...
Which flavor is the best you've tried?

ive made exotic fruit zin and peach apricot chardonnay and they were both great

LouT said:

I don't particularly like those Island Mist kits (too sweet and fruity for me) but I tried a kiwi-something that was great. Fruity and light and lightly sweet. Not exactly a wine cooler, but kind like one. My daughter loved it.

LouT said:

Oooh Good question.

I think I liked the green apple reisling best. The Blackberry Merlot waas good too though. The Strawberry White Merlot was just OK.

There is another one on the market that is similar called Orchard Breezin, and they have a Cranberry Chiante.... Real good. I also want to try the Citrus Ice Sauvignon Blanc

And YES they are 6 gallon kits

I have the blackberry Merlot in the basement as we speak. Haven't bottled it up yet as I made it for a friend away at school so I'm in no hurry. I tried a sample..... You don't want my opinion. I suppose if you're into wine coolers to begin with it might be good, I haven't really ever had any. We'll see what she thinks. The orchard Breezin kits have more alcohol in them than the island mist kits if that is important for anyone.

david_the_greek said:
I have the blackberry Merlot in the basement as we speak. Haven't bottled it up yet as I made it for a friend away at school so I'm in no hurry. I tried a sample..... You don't want my opinion. I suppose if you're into wine coolers to begin with it might be good, I haven't really ever had any. We'll see what she thinks. The orchard Breezin kits have more alcohol in them than the island mist kits if that is important for anyone.

That's a good point- sometimes the lower alcohol kits are what you want because they more resemble a wine cooler without that "hotness" of wine.

The one I tried might have been that kiwi pear sauvignon blanc. I just don't remember. I just remember kiwi and Island Mist, so that's probably it.

I've made 4 of the Island Mist kits : Mango Chardonnay, Blackberry Merlot, Wildberry Shiraz, and Blueberry Pinot Noir. I used some extra sugar to bump up the %alcohol. They are a little sweet, but very much like wine coolers with carbonation. I don't care for the Mango Chardonnay, but it is great for making punch.

Are the "red" ones less sweet - I almost ordered the Blackberry Merlot and/or the wildberry shiraz Island Mist kits today while I was ordering a bunch of stuff from Northern Brewer. I ended up instead buying a Winexpert red and white (I think a cab and a chardonnay) along with a kind of pricey Italian red kit. I just figured that apfelwine/cider is enough of a "chic drink" to keep on hand, and it's a lot cheaper to make and not sickeningly sweet...

I think I'm the guy that snoozed and got whacked with huge price increases -- the wine kits are about 20% more money than they were 8-10 months ago, and the hops prices are crazy with some varieties not available at all!
I did stock up on some hops, though, bought some by the pound just to be sure I wouldn't be screwed if things get REAL tight w/supply...
The $5.99 saver shipping applied, which was cool since they told me the order had a weight of like 140 lbs.

Anyway, don't be shy of ordering any of the kits -- I haven't done and Island Mist, but the kit I did was very easy and came out excellent.

Lou-

To me the red ones seem less sweet.

My feelings are this if you are looking for wine, make wine. Do not make Island Breeze or Orchard Breezin'.

If you are looking for a decent drink try them. I even thought about trying a different yeast with one and seeing how it came out. For a "wine based drink" they are not too bad....unless you compare them to "real" wine.

Personally I prefer the reds.

I've tried the Orchard Breezin' ones, and for a "wine cooler" type, they are pretty good.

Another thing, since you're fermenting them yourself, ferment them as dry as you want. They are supposed to have some residual sweetness, but you can do what you want.

steve

:off: Sorry, but as a Wolverine, I simply need to say this:

Ask Jim Tressel. He drinks them all the time.

Again sorry. I couldn't help the cheap shot.

Latest posts

Back