Wine making and frozen concentrates

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guthrie

Reaction score
Want to make five gallons of cranberry wine from frozen concentrate. Should I use all frozen or mix it up with some bottled juice?

Unless you are buying high end organic juice it won't matter because the store bought juice is "from concentrate" When I am using concentrate I like to use a higher concentrate to water ratio. This allows me to get a higher ABV with out adding more refined sugar also the extra fruit flavors will be more prominent and will make a better overall wine with more flavor depth.

As an example when I make cider from concentrate I use four 12 ounce cans to make one gallon. Based on the instructions on the can only 2.5 cans would be needed to make 1 gallon of juice but by adding four I get much more apple flavor.

So besides the yeast and maybe a little bit of sugar would you suggest adding any thing else?

well cranberry is extremely acidic so depending on the taste you want you may want to consider cutting the acid just a bit with some baking soda. Also some people like to add tannin for flavor and the dry mouth feel, I personally am not a fan. If it was me I might add a couple of 12 ounce cans of grape concentrate. The cranberry will still be prominent but the grape will add a little extra body.

My pleasure, also I forgot, some pectic enzyme and yeast nutrient are also good idea.

right, is the yeast nutrient only needed because of the acidity of the cranberry juice?

It is a good idea all the time but is needed even more when using store bought juice because a lot of the natural nutrients in the fruit are removed when it is processed.

vitamin C is natural in fruit, if it was a problem no one would be making wine. Only certain preservatives at certain levels will prevent fermentation, just because it has preservatives in it does not mean it is impossible to ferment, it just means it could be difficult.

Back