How much 100% blueberry juice to add?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmsteele

Reaction score
Planning on adding this stuff to a wheat beer at bottling time.

Anyone have any experience using 100% blueberry juice? I'm having a difficult time figuring out how much I should use. From a lot of the threads I've read, there's plenty of info on fresh/frozen/extract but not 100% juice.

I can figure out the amount of sugar it will add and all that jazz without a problem. I just don't want to end up with purple drank that is an overpowering blueberry assault.

At bottling time? Unless you carefully measure out to hit your carbonation numbers, won't that make everything go all explodey?

I'd take into consideration the grams of sugar/serving of juice and subtract that from my total priming sugar needed.

If it was my beer, and I was adding blueberry juice, I'd do it about a month before bottling and let it ferment out.

Then, I'd see if it needed some lactose for sweetening once the sugars in the juice fermented out. If so, I'd add some lactose and still bottle with the correct amount of priming sugar (about 4 ounces by weight per 5 gallons).

Diluting with juice and calculating the priming sugars in it may work. Or it may blow up in your face. Literally.

Back