Rent a brew stand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneHoppyGuy

Reaction score
Assuming you don't own a stand:

Would you rent a stand if they were available?
Rent one with a few friends and make a big batch to split?

We're talking unit batch size 5, 10, 20 and 50
Smallest would be a gravity (3 tier) and the rest would be single tier with the option to use digital controls. (Standard on the big boy)

Guess it depends on the price. My turkey fryer / cooler mash tun works for me. If it were 5 bucks to rent I probably would just to try it out. If it's 20 or 30 I would probably pass.

Special Hops said:
Guess it depends on the price. My turkey fryer / cooler mash tun works for me. If it were 5 bucks to rent I probably would just to try it out. If it's 20 or 30 I would probably pass.

For the cost to build these plus the plumbing and vessels, I doubt they're going to be $5 for a 4-8 hour process.

jtkratzer said:
For the cost to build these plus the plumbing and vessels, I doubt they're going to be $5 for a 4-8 hour process.

Probably not. Just trying to give the guy an honest answer. He asked.

I could see renting it for a giant batch. I don't need a 50 gallon batch unless my brew club wants to fill a bourbon barrel or something similar (my club only have 4 members).

I could see this being awesome for someone like me that is on the fence between a herms system and a rims system I could try both first

I would think you might get some action on the larger units for someone/group wanting to do a bigger than usual batch. For the people who could use the smaller units - already experienced - in most cases they would not have a need for a rental. For noobs the additional cost of a rental would probably make most pass on the idea. IMHO
:mug:

My first instinct is to say "no".

The reason is that most people that don't already have a stand may not have an understanding of how it works. Sure, gravity is easy- but then, we'd all have a gravity stand already even if it involves a picnic table and a ladder if we already know the basics.

so, for people who are more experienced but still wanting to rent a stand- how do they know how to prime the pumps? How do they get acquainted with how much flame they need to maintain a boil, etc? I think it's a good idea, but I don't see how it could possibly work with novice/intermediate brewers without someone who knows the stand well standing by with help.

taking a stand for a drive before purchasing?
no room to store a stand?
special brew with some buddies and everyone takes home a carboy?
want to look pimpin' for the gal that lives in the apartment with the balcony that faces yours?

the stands have to be built bullet proof, just like any other rental equipment

great feedback by the way

Join a local homebrew club. My old one had a nice system members could rent for free.

I would have to say no unless you are going to provide setup and cleanup for the rig. I can't see the advantage of renting unless there's a special gathering or event. The price would have to be right or those interested could probably piece together a rig to brew on.
-cheers

I think distance to your customers would be the biggest drawback. You would have to have a whole lot of homebrewers in your immediate area to make a go of it I would think. I would think a homebrew club would be a much easier option.

I saw on basic brewing video a while back a special brewery that lets you do the brewing on their system. They then ferment it and you get it. To me renting equipment would be better off going to a facility to do it. Easier cleanup and staff that knows the equip.

i think it could work. you need to assume, though, that the customer has zero equipment to begin with, or else you will be severely limiting your market. you need to be able to rent not only the stand and kettles, but also ferment equipment, provide sanitizer, fermentors, and some way to keg or bottle it. obviously you would charge for those things, but if you didnt have them available, it would exclude a lot of people.

secondly, you are assuming that people know how to use an all-grain, automated, large-batch system, which i dont think you should. i know how to brew on my setup, but if you ploped me in front of someone else's, i dont know if i could replicate a beer like i would normally be able to on mine. people who make fantastic small extract batches may be disappointed. there is a learning curve. perhapse you could have classes, or add "rent an instructor" to the price.

third- you will inevitably need to supply the ingredients. sure some people will use their own, but the whole reason spaghetti sauce sells out next to the spaghetti instead of in its own aisle, is because people are lazy. if they are paying you, they want this to show up at their house ready to rock. then you get into having to assemble recipes and instructions for people to use...

i really like the idea of opening a brew-your-own facility, much more than a "we-come-to-your-house" method where you dont know what resources you have availble when you get there (and so have to design it for the lowest common denominator).

Back