Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
full_smoker.jpg

Who needs to wait for the weekend? :)
1 whole chicken, 6 classic brats, 6 sun dried tomato and mozzarella brats, and 2 blocks of tofu in the smoker.

The tofu is ok.
I think the next time I do tofu I'm going to marinade first, press the liquid out for a longer period of time before smoking, then smoke for more than 5 hours. It was ok, and definitely smokey, but I was hoping it'd be a little more chewy. After a 5 hour smoke it was about the consistency of baked egg. I think I might take this batch, cut it up and fry it. That might give it the edge it needs to feel "complete" this time 'round.

Put on a brisket last night. Smoker held at 210 (I was shooting for 205, 210 is fine) all night. Not bad for starting the smoker when drunk.

Will pull at 18 hours, maybe later.

Got 2 racks of ribs in the smoker now. Also making a batch of bread and a gallon of pizza sauce for canning. And watching Man United v. Blackpool. SWMBO & daughter are out grocery shopping. Overall a good day!

Wife and I had several friends over this weekend for a just because BBQ and Homebrew. 31lbs of butt:
79188f4a.jpg

jetmechG550 said:
Wife and I had several friends over this weekend for a just because BBQ and Homebrew. 31lbs of butt:

Nice rack.

I'm helping cook this weekend for an annual Memorial day party. Last year it was a mix of boston butts and whole shoulders. It was enough meat to cover most of the rack in a big oil drum smoker. This year we should be doing a good bit more. We are going to be feeding our party goers plus wedding guests 2 weeks later. We are precooking, chopping, and freezing enough BBQ for the wedding reception.

Nice rack.

I'm helping cook this weekend for an annual Memorial day party. Last year it was a mix of boston butts and whole shoulders. It was enough meat to cover most of the rack in a big oil drum smoker. This year we should be doing a good bit more. We are going to be feeding our party goers plus wedding guests 2 weeks later. We are precooking, chopping, and freezing enough BBQ for the wedding reception.

Thank you

TXCurtis said:
Put on a brisket last night. Smoker held at 210 (I was shooting for 205, 210 is fine) all night. Not bad for starting the smoker when drunk.

Will pull at 18 hours, maybe later.

I think we were doing the same exact thing at the sane exact time...including the drunk.

Did a Boston Butt and Atomic Buffalo Turds on Sunday. If you've never heard of or done ABT's they are a halved/seeded jalapeño filled with cream cheese (I used chive) put a lil' smokey inside and wrap with bacon. Smoked for 2 hours, THEY WERE AWESOME!
I pulled the pork and mixed in a Carolina Red sauce with BBQ Sauce and put some slaw on the top. Also made homemade rolls that were pretty good. The guests were very ecstatic and I fed 10 people on an 8 lb. butt and had enough to send 5 sandwiches home and froze the rest. I couldn't imagine four butts like in the photo above. passedpawn, you must have been feeding an army!

Taking the WSM to the lake for 5 days this memorial day. I have a brisket, 6 racks of ribs, 2 pork shoulders and the fixins for a whole mess of ABTs. Its going to burn non stop for the whole time Im thinkin

Taking the WSM to the lake for 5 days this memorial day. I have a brisket, 6 racks of ribs, 2 pork shoulders and the fixins for a whole mess of ABTs. Its going to burn non stop for the whole time Im thinkin

Are you doing the whole sholder or just the butt or picnic? I have never seen anybody fit a whole sholder on a 18.5" WSM. Maybe you have the 22.5" model.

while not technically smoking... I have 10# of pork ground for italians and brats. and a new ESB to get cold conditioned and unveiled monday :D

Smokey smokey. We have 5 briskets, 5 shoulders, 3 butts, and some ABTs going right now. More ABTs and smoking some Mac and cheese tomorrow.

until I found that I'm now working the weekend (through tuesday night, actually) I was planning on smoking 10LB pork shoulder (12hrs slow-smoke -this stuff practically pulls itself apart for your dining pleasure) -I'll have to up some pix of my backyard smoker sometime. It can accomodate 8 full racks of ribs (and has before) and a brace of sausages when the need arises. Its fired by oak and hickory, and I use orange wood to help regulate the temps.
I'm intending on starting to build a second firebox on the side, piping the smoke to the main firebox where it will flow to the smoke chamber -the idea is to add cold-smoking capabilities.

Off work this weekend ( to save labor hours ) so I'll be putting something on the smoker here at home.
I'm thinking a nice Brisket, and if I can find some casings at a good price - some homemade sausages.

It's 1AM and I just fired up the WSM and threw on a 13lb brisket. Now I'm in the chair,watching swamp people and enjoying a glass of scotch. Life is good!!

Smoked a Pork Butt yesterday. Didn't want to be anchored to the smoker all day so I gave it 3 hrs on hickory in the morning & then stuck it in the oven at 225F all day with a large pan of water under it.

pork_butt_1.jpg

pork_butt_2.jpg

My Dad gave me his Brinkmann smoker for this weekend, So I've got a nice 225* charcoal/hickory fire going now, 3 racks of St. Louis style ribs went on at 10 (Gonna try the 3-2-1 method) and 2 brined/dry-rubbed whole chickens are going on at noon. Never smoked anything before, I have a feeling it's going to be a while before I give the smoker back, if ever!

There was smoke yesterday but only from the fat hitting the propane burner. I think I earned my street cred on Friday night and Saturday.

image-1829646244.jpg

Latest posts

Back