Sweet dunkleweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mobeers

Reaction score
So I am new to the home brew scene, and my first beer has been in the bottle for 1 week. It is an extract dunkleweizen kit form morebeer. During the bottling process I tasted a sample and it seemed sweet. My question is is this normal for this time in the process, or this type of beer and will it clean up. Thanks for the help in advance.

being that it is ur first beer, my guess is that u r tasting diacetyl. This is the compound that smells and tastes like butter/butterscotch. I have heard people talk about a "homebrew taste" and for me this was the source. In small quantities or in some beers, it can taste sweet. It may clean up with age.

uncarbed beer can taste sweeter than carbed beer due to the lack acidic bite from the carbonation. also, if that happened to be after you added the priming sugar it certainly will taste sweet.

The sweet taste didn't appear to be like butter or the diacetyl that was mentioned. It did taste sweet before priming and being conditioned in the bottle. Is this type of beer style, the dunkel, a sweeter type of beer? If it is diacetyl, where did I go wrong?

Being that this is your first beer, I have to ask the question:

Did you take hydrometer readings prior to bottling?

As far as the first hydrometer reading, the OG was 1.052 and the final was 1.014 if I remember correctly.

In general, does the overall flavor change during carbonation?

Yes the taste will change with carbonation. As others have said, you will likely notice some of the "sweetness" will be masked by the CO2.

1.014 is middle of the road as far as sweetness goes, probably pretty standard for dunkel. As long as it was done and didnt need to come down a few more points (did you test the FG consecutively a few days in a row?), I suspect that this will taste just fine once carbed up.

Let us know! I have a dunkel thats been in primary for a lil under 2 weeks now and it is a bit drier at 1.010. I attest that to lower mash temps, which is what I was kind of going for. Something that could be refreshing but malty on a summer afternoon by the pool.

Thanks gents for the advice, I will definitely update you next week to the final taste, as next wensday is drinking Time!

Back