What do you call this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northcalais40

Reaction score
So I did it to myself again. Brewed a moderately big beer, intending a double dunkel (I know, I made it up). No time all week for a nice big starter, so I popped a wyeast activator before brewing. (I did take the otherwise good advice of my brewing store owner here). Pack did not swell, but they say go ahead and pitch it anyway. After 48 hours+, no activity, so I pitched 1 pack of us 05.

Here's the question. This was going to be a German Lager:

14.5# Munich
.5# Carafe
.5# Cara-pils

OG 1.078
Wyeast Munich Lager
IBU 40

Now it's an Ale. Does it resemble any real style? What would you call it? Dark Munich Bastard?

Forgot. This is the second time I've fallen for the smack pack routine.

You were "forced" because you were not prepared and/or not patient enough. You severely underpitched a high gravity lager with questionable yeast. Maybe if given enough time it would have taken off.

Edit: I forgot to answer the question. Imperial Alt

How about:

"Lesson Learned Ale"

or "No Swell, No Sell Ale"

I'm not trying to be a dick, or anything.. I thought it'd be a funny reminder. I have a beer I named "Eroneous" because I thought it was going to turn out a certain color and it did NOT do what I inteded.. whoops..

I'll just go back to my beer now.
M

I'd be worried about under-attenuation. Big lagers need a big healthy dose of yeast to get going. And 1 little packet of notty isn't quite enough either. I'd be prepared to let that thing churn for some time.

The good news is that nottingham can ferment at cooler temperatures. So even though it's not a lager yeast you can still "lager" it.

Also starters are your friends and take so little time to do. 5 minutes of sanitation. 15 minutes of boiling. 10 minutes in an ice bath and you're ready to pitch in 30 minutes. If you're taking the multiple hours it takes to make a batch a beer, why let yourself miss such an easy (but totally necessary step) as making a starter? Especially on such a big brew.

Oh well. I've done the same. I made an IIPA for my second brew and hadn't discovered the magic of starters.... let's just say the word "cloying" took on a whole new meaning.

could it being a lager pitched with ale yeast could that put it along the lines of a Kolsch or Altbier

Back