McMaster-Carr

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MX1

Texas Ale Works
Reaction score
as a matter of fact, i will never look at their web sight, or point others that may need equipment in their direction.

Placed a small order from them a few days ago to be shipped to my APO, they said no dice, wont do it...Fine.

So reordered having it shipped to my MIL house in VA. They said that because it was the same stuff I ordered before, that they will not even ship it to her so she can fwd it to me....

Really??? WTF???

Screw'em I dont need them.

Tim

Sorry to hear you're having a bad experience. McMaster is a great resource.

Great for what???

Supporting soldiers stationed overseas...not in the least!

Tim

as a matter of fact, i will never look at their web sight, or point others that may need equipment in their direction.

Placed a small order from them a few days ago to be shipped to my APO, they said no dice, wont do it...Fine.

So reordered having it shipped to my MIL house in VA. They said that because it was the same stuff I ordered before, that they will not even ship it to her so she can fwd it to me....

Really??? WTF???

Tim

Wow. I'd really like to hear their explanation for this. I don't understand why they wouldn't ship it to a different address.

they said they can ot export their products.

I told them they were doing no such thing, they were sending a box to VA.

Tim

If they knew it was going to be forwarded to you, they wanted to cover their ass in case of any sort of export/import violation. Can't say that I blame them with as complicated as the laws are getting these days.

Really/ 4 sets of QD's.....

Do you have any idea the things I ahve had shipped to me? Whole computers, tires, extract brewing kits, hot water heater breaker boxes with 30a breaker...everyting needed to build a heat stick...

and they cant ship QD's to VA....

Support them if you want, justify it how ever you need to, IMHO they are wholly UnAmerican

Tim

Tim

It doesn't matter what you have had shipped to you. McMaster doesn't want the liability of sending you a product that may or may not violate import/export laws.

I can't blame them for not wanting to ship the same order to your wife (likely placed with the same credit card/billing information) as they knew it would be forwarded to you and again, they don't want to deal with the liability...

Support them if you want, justify it how ever you need to, IMHO they are wholly UnAmerican

I'll take the flaimbait. :D

So, any business that chooses not to conduct business with you due to liability/policy issues is "unamerican"?

Yes, because he's a soldier!

:rolleyes:

I do appreciate what you do for the country, but you can't expect special treatment from companies when it comes to policies like these.

Not bait, just my thought on the matter.
Take it as you like.

Tim

It doesn't matter what you have had shipped to you. McMaster doesn't want the liability of sending you a product that may or may not violate import/export laws.

I can't blame them for not wanting to ship the same order to your wife (likely placed with the same credit card/billing information) as they knew it would be forwarded to you and again, they don't want to deal with the liability...

Fanboy much?

Tim

I've never ordered from them. I'm just saying not wanting to deal with the liability of an international shipment is a 100% legit reason to not ship international. I'm sorry you don't understand that.

I do appreciate what you do for the country, but you can't expect special treatment from companies when it comes to policies like these.

Your order has been cancelled and will not ship. We have previously been advised that the items on this order will be exported. Due to the complexity of U.S. Export regulations, McMaster-Carr has decided to only accept orders from a few, long-established customers of ours overseas. We regret any inconvenience this causes you.

Ok look at the bold part...its not like they dont do it, they just cant be bothered to do it for me.

Most of the time, I understand when someone will not ship to APO, only the USPS can do it. If they have a contract with another shipper I get it. Lots of time I have been told they just dont want to fill out the extra paperwork...so be it.

But to decide that I am not important enough to ship to a Stateside address, well that really ticks me off.

Tim

I have no problems with them not sending products overseas, but I do not understand their desire to be international police and decide not to ship to a US address. Not only should they have sent it to the US address, they should have offered this as a solution when the OP first placed the order.

This company WAY over stepped its boundaries and responsibility. As far as being a soldier, yeah I really don't give a ****. Has nothing to do with it and never will.

I've never ordered from them. I'm just saying not wanting to deal with the liability of an international shipment is a 100% legit reason to not ship international. I'm sorry you don't understand that.

This is where you, like them seem to miss the point.

It was a domestic order.

If i buy a fitting from them, install it on my brew kettle, THEN move overseas, do I need to send it back, because they can not export my fitting? As soon as it is recvd at the Stateside addy, they no longer have control.

I mean really, it was not a fuse kit for a atomic cherry bomb...

Tim

I have no problems with them not sending products overseas, but I do not understand their desire to be international police and decide not to ship to a US address. Not only should they have sent it to the US address, they should have offered this as a solution when the OP first placed the order.

This company WAY over stepped its boundaries and responsibility. As far as being a soldier, yeah I really don't give a ****. Has nothing to do with it and never will.

and I dont give a **** what you do for a living either....

wow, I will sleep well tonight

Tim

I would have just had my wife/significant other order the gear an hour later.

I do think it's strange that they wouldn't ship QD's to an address in Virginia. We aren't talking centrifuges or encryption technology.

They don't want to deal with the headache of being involved in an international transaction whether there is a middle man or not. Why is this hard to understand?

Who is to say that the box would have been shipped to your wife, then your wife would have sent it to you in the original packaging with the purchase order, inspected by customs and determined to be illegal? It's easier for McMaster to say no to your low dollar order than worry about the potential legal ramifications of shipping an item to you.

I would have just had my wife/significant other order the gear an hour later.

This is what I would have done as well. Completely remove yourself and your payment information from the equation. Then they would have had no idea what your plan was.

They don't want to deal with the headache of being involved in an international transaction whether there is a middle man or not. Why is this hard to understand?

Who is to say that the box would have been shipped to your wife, then your wife would have sent it to you in the original packaging with the purchase order, inspected by customs and determined to be illegal? It's easier for McMaster to say no to your low dollar order than worry about the potential legal ramifications of shipping an item to you.

What is so hard to understand THEY were not involved in an international transaction. They were involved in a domestic transaction.

Me and my MIL were involved in an international transaction.

Tim

They know that it is an international shipment regardless if it's stopping at your mom's house first and the box crossing customs will have their name on it. And sorry if you're little >$100 isn't important enough for them to fill out the paper work, but it's not. Their established customers are likely large business accounts, not individuals. If you don't think that should matter, well, sorry, but it matters very much.

Like I said before, if you want to use them go right ahead.
If you want to beat the drum and call from the roofs, they are the best thing since sliced bread, be my guest.

I am done with them.

Tim

They know that it is an international shipment regardless if it's stopping at your mom's house first and the box crossing customs will have their name on it. And sorry if you're little >$100 isn't important enough for them to fill out the paper work, but it's not. Their established customers are likely large business accounts, not individuals. If you don't think that should matter, well, sorry, but it matters very much.

I know the little guy never matters, Joe nobody is just that....

Tim

and I dont give a **** what you do for a living either....

wow, I will sleep well tonight

Tim

Yeah, I bet I served more time than you.

Pipe down Francis. I am agreeing with you.

Yeah, I bet I served more time than you.

Pipe down Francis. I am agreeing with you.

Any of you guys call me Francis, and I'll kill you.

You may have served more time than me, but I am no spring chicken in the Army.

Sorry if I misread your post, truly sorry if I took it the wrong way.

Tim

You're not understanding the fundamental issue here. They don't know you from Tom, Dick, or Harry. You asked for an export shipment. They said No. You then asked for the shipment to be sent to VA, obviously skirting the export rules.

They can NOT ship the item, if they knew it possibly might be exported. It's against the law. I do export inspections as part of my job in the Government, and I commend them for not violating import/export laws.

I'm prior Navy, and I know how it's a pain to get stuff when deployed. Trust me, I only got mail everytime we pulled in port, once every 2 months, and email once a week. Being a Submariner sucks sometimes.

Think about it from their perspective. Lets say they're a liquor store. A 18 year old kid comes in, asks to buy some booze. They say No, due to his age. He leaves the store, and then an older gentleman walks right in and asks for the same exact item, while the kid stands outside.

We all know what's going on here. Obey the damn law.

You've got serious anger management and self-control issues.

I think you missed the reference (Stripes - 1981)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psycho: The name's Francis Soyer, but everybody calls me Psycho. Any of you guys call me Francis, and I'll kill you.
Leon: Ooooooh.
Psycho: You just made the list, buddy. And I don't like nobody touching my stuff. So just keep your meat-hooks off. If I catch any of you guys in my stuff, I'll kill you. Also, I don't like nobody touching me. Now, any of you homos touch me, and I'll kill you.
Sergeant Hulka: Lighten up, Francis.

Not taking any sides here, but I'll tell you what I think likely happened.

Is your CC billing address the same as the address you were going to have it shipped to? If not, that is likely why they would not ship the order. This is a flag for fraud - especially after first trying to have it shipped to the APO.

Merchants have no protection from chargebacks if they ship to an alternate address. Sure, people use different bill-to & ship-to addresses all the time, but if the merchant does it, they are taking a risk of a chargeback.

Why does this have to be so complicated. Just have whoever was in VA make the order. Done.

Why does this have to be so complicated. Just have whoever was in VA make the order. Done.

Logic on the internet? You must now go spend 10 minutes in the "Box of Shame"!

I believe they don't want to get in trouble for violating a straw purchase law of some sort. I am no law expert and do not know the extent of the straw purchase laws but they are probably not wanting to violate them in some sort of way.

Really??? WTF???

Tim
It's for security reason. It's so people don't buy stuff with stolen card #s. Read the thread Ever have a credit card number stolen??? and you will understand why they do it. Kudos for McMaster-Carr for taking extra steps to protect their customers. :mug:

Some of you guys need to wipe your chin, there is a little bit of McM-C dripping....

So, I said my part, I made my decision, you can try to tell me how wrong headed I am for being upset, but it wont change my mind.

Sweet dreams.

Tim

Have you tried buying locally? I can't imagine that qd's are a uniquely American intellectual property... That way you don't have to ask anyone in America to commit a federal crime (assuming the items are ITAR or Export Controlled)

I have tried, it is always my first option, unless it is a part I need from a vendor such as Weldless Fittings. I usually pay more for it over here than it wold be even with the shipping charges.

Thing is, they dont deal in Home Improvement and plumbing and such the way we do in the States, and then there is that pesky I dont speak Dutch or French that always gets in the way. I am going to a new plumbing supply store that I found last week, and give them a go. If not I will have to order from someplace else.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back