American Lager Pottsville Common (Yeungling Lager Attempt)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeeordye11

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 2112
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
32 @ 62-64
Tasting Notes
Taste is spot on to Yeungling. Color is just a bit light.
# 46 Pottsville Common
Premium American Lager

Type: All Grain
Date: 1/24/2010
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: TRASK
Boil Size: 7.18 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: Brew Pot (15 Gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (10 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 0.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.50 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 5.13 %
6.00 lb Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 61.54 %
2.50 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 25.64 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 7.69 %
0.25 oz Chinook [11.40 %] (60 min) Hops 10.6 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [7.50 %] (30 min) Hops 10.8 IBU
1 Pkgs California Lager (Wyeast Labs #2112) Yeast-Lager

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.049 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.48 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.17 %
Bitterness: 21.4 IBU Calories: 205 cal/pint
Est Color: 9.6 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body Total Grain Weight: 9.75 lb
Sparge Water: 4.15 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Light Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 12.19 qt of water at 161.4 F 150.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 7.80 qt of water at 200.2 F 168.0 F

Taste is spot on for Yeungling. Color is just a bit light. Next time I think I'll use a darker Crystal malt, but I wanted to share for AGers looking for a Yeungling recipe. I used the 2112 since I can't yet Lager effectively.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep me posted as to how this is turning out. I grew up about 20min from Pottsville and am an avid Yuengling consumer...when homebrew isn't on tap of course.

I've never used that much flaked corn in a recipe, what will that much eventually impart onto it?

So would you step up the .75 lbs of Crystal Malt to 1 or 1.25 lbs or would you go to something like 100 or 120 L to get the desired color?

So would you step up the .75 lbs of Crystal Malt to 1 or 1.25 lbs or would you go to something like 100 or 120 L to get the desired color?

I wouldn't want to go more than .75#, probably try a darker crystal next time. Either that or keep the 80, or even go to 60 and use a little de-bittered black to get it a little darker.

I can't wait to make this. Big fan of Yeungling... I think I'm going to substitute the mentioned yeast for White Labs WLP810 since my LHBS sells White Labs and not Wyeast...

Well, I brewed this and my starting gravity was a little high around 1.056 and it tasted sweet and smelled of sweet potatoes!!! Awesome. Now a week later, the Nottingham took that down to 1.012 so that's cool, and the hydro sample tasted GREAT! I'm cold crashing it now down to 58* to let it clear a little...

Snevey-
I'm interested in hearing how Nottingham works in this recipe.

The Nottingham is STILL working its magic. I have it in an ice water bath right now at about 57* for the last week. It has went down to 1.010 since the 04/08/2010 when it was 1.012.

im gonna make sure i can stay in the low 60s and give this bad boy a try very soon

Has this been tasted yet? All the numbers add up fairly well and the grain bill looks good, but at 21 IBU, I think it might be slightly high. Also, the 30 min addition of cascade is going to give it that citrusy flavor. I don't think lager has any citrusy notes. I would be hopping with galena, cluster, glacier, perle, etc.....hops with earthy tones.

What is the cali lager giving to this beer too? I think this might be a good canidate for a neutral ale yeast fermented low. I wish this was a thread to clone lord chesterfield, but you take what you can.

My question was not the cascade but the chinook. According to yuelengs website they use cascade and cluter hops for the traditional lager. However, I am assuming the cluster is for bittering which would male chinook a good substitute correct?

My question was not the cascade but the chinook. According to yuelengs website they use cascade and cluter hops for the traditional lager. However, I am assuming the cluster is for bittering which would male chinook a good substitute correct?

My LHBS said they had Cluster hops on their webiste, but when I showed up this was not the case. One of the guys there siggested Chinook as a sub, so I adjusted for the higher AA%. I would def want to use the Cluster if I did it again.

As far as the side by side test on this. Yeungling was def clearer than mine, which is pretty much to be expected. The flavor was right on, but mine did taste noticably thinner than the Yeungling believe it or not. I would probably reduce the corn next time, but the flavor was right there. I was really surprised how close it was to the real thing on my first attempt.

As far as the Cascades and the yeast, I did not pick up any higher fruitiness in mine vs the Yeungling. A neutral yeast fermented cool think would do just fine. I would really like to do this again using a lager yeast once I get myself an extra fridge. I am really looking forward to seeing someone elses results with this recipe.

Just wanted to post an update to the process of my brew... I bottled this beer last Monday (4/19/2010). I had it fermenting for 3 weeks, the last 1.5 weeks were at about 58-62 degrees in an ice water bath. All the hydro samples were delicious! Well, out of curiosity, my brew-sistant and I popped one in the freezer for an hour and then the fridge for 30 minutes to sample one. Well, after only 5 days of conditioning it was nicely carbed already, but the taste was very sweet. Probably because all the sugar from bottling hasn't been handled yet.

But it didn't taste like Yeungling at all yet. Now, I did deviate from the recipe with different yeast and different procedures. I used Nottingham and fermented it as an ale, not a lager. But, when this mellows out, it will be a GREAT beer. Great recipe!!!

Steve

Another update... I threw one in the fridge yesterdat, since when I opened one 4 days ago, even at only 5 days carbed, it was carbed nicely. I just drank this, and even with one day cold conditioning and 9 carbing, it is freaking awesome. When I tried it 4 days ago, I threw it in the freezer for a while, then the fridge for about 30 minutes. Majorly rushing it. The taste is totally different today and I can't wait until it's actually "ready" to drink.

There is definitely a Yeungling similarity in this brew...

Steve

would you change the chinook hops to cluster at .5 oz and the corn to 2.0 lbs. I would like to try this tomorrow.

thanks tom

would you change the chinook hops to cluster at .5 oz and the corn to 2.0 lbs. I would like to try this tomorrow.

thanks tom

Sorry for the delayed response as you have probably already brewed this, but yes. 1/2 oz Cluster was what I had intended on until I couldn't find it at the LHBS. And I think 2# of corn would be a good way to go as well. Also, using something other than crystal 80 would be another change I would make. perhaps a 50/50 mix of 120 and 40 to try and darker it a little? I'll have to think about that one. I'm hoping to get a fridge soon since I just moved this past weekend and try some cooler fermentation temps. Or I could just use my second bathtub as a sort of swamp cooler? We shall see. I hope yours turns out! Cheers!

I used 1/2 oz cluster hops, 2 1/4 lbs of the corn, crystal 90, and WLP810 San Francisco Lager Yeast. Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 58-65°F the basment is 61°F at this time.

thanks for the reply

I am give this a try this week end and mash a 153 for 60min and see how it turns out.

Batch Size: 5.500 gal
Boil Size: 6.394 gal
Boil Time: 60min
Efficiency: 70%
OG: 1.051
FG: 1.016
ABV: 4.5%
Bitterness: 19.3 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 9 SRM (Mosher)

Fermentables
================================================================================
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Corn, Flaked Grain 2.000 lb Yes No 80% 1 L
Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 8.000 lb Yes No 79% 2 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 120L Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 72% 120 L
Carafoam Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 72% 2 L

Hops
================================================================================
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Cascade 6.2% 0.500 oz Boil 30.000 min Pellet 7.7
Cluster 7.2% 0.500 oz Boil 1.000 hr Pellet 11.6

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Wyeast - California Lager Lager Liquid 0.528 cup Primary

Did not get to brew this weekend. But have the day off today so I am just started. So far so good!!

I brewed this with one big change. I left out the corn and added 2# of caramel wheat (I have a ton of it). Of course it came in darker than the original recipe. Mine has an SRM of 17.

I have had this in the keg about 10 days and I already love this stuff! Hard for me to say if it tastes anything like the real thing. Living out west I have only tried this beer once on a trip through Philly.

I am give this a try this week end and mash a 153 for 60min and see how it turns out.

Batch Size: 5.500 gal
Boil Size: 6.394 gal
Boil Time: 60min
Efficiency: 70%
OG: 1.051
FG: 1.016
ABV: 4.5%
Bitterness: 19.3 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 9 SRM (Mosher)

Fermentables
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Corn, Flaked Grain 2.000 lb Yes No 80% 1 L
Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 8.000 lb Yes No 79% 2 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 120L Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 72% 120 L
Carafoam Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 72% 2 L

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Cascade 6.2% 0.500 oz Boil 30.000 min Pellet 7.7
Cluster 7.2% 0.500 oz Boil 1.000 hr Pellet 11.6

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Wyeast - California Lager Lager Liquid 0.528 cup Primary

Just transferred to secondary. FG was at 1.012 so its at 5.0 ABV and the hydro sample definitely had a distinct Yeungling flavor. Was surprisingly clean tasting already.

As an update, I am brewing this again right now with a few of the changes that have been discussed. Using 1/2 oz each of Cluster and Cascade like I wanted the first go round. Also went to 1/2# of Crystal 150. Wort looks a bit dark in the kettle, but we'll see what happens. LHBS doesn't carry 120, so that's what I went with. Updates in a month or so. Oh, I also knocked the corn down to 2# and mashed around 151. Cheers!

I brewed this as my frist all grain, put a whole house water filter in and used my city water for the frist time, no more bottled water. I brewed an all grain each week, all five taste like chewing on a tea bag at the end. I'm letting them sit and see if time helps. Went back to bottled water I will try it again later, sent a water sample to ward laboratories and see what I have to start with. Welcome to AG

Tom

Had this on tap for the forth it is just plain good. One of the best I have made. Everyone loved it

What are your thoughts on using all Cluster hops? I'd like to be able to buy 1 oz of 1 type of hop. I'm thinking .5oz at 60 and .5oz at 30 for 22.5 IBUs (at 7.0%).

I'm also thinking of using a Cali Ale yeast, since I can't lager.

What are your thoughts on using all Cluster hops? I'd like to be able to buy 1 oz of 1 type of hop. I'm thinking .5oz at 60 and .5oz at 30 for 22.5 IBUs (at 7.0%).

I'm also thinking of using a Cali Ale yeast, since I can't lager.

I'd say give it a shot. I never expected to get exactly the recipe, just used it as a guide. It's just a nice light drinking beer with a nice amber color and just enough hop bitterness for balance. 22.5 IBUs sounds good to me.

As an asside, attempt #2 is still in the primary. It will probably get kegged tomorrow before I leave for vacation so I can come home to 6 carbed kegs! Very nice...

I am a big fan of Yuengling. I travel from New Olreans to Mobile to buy it. Can you give ne specific recipe instructions as how to make this brew?

I am a big fan of Yuengling. I travel from New Olreans to Mobile to buy it. Can you give ne specific recipe instructions as how to make this brew?

Did you look at the first page of this post?? Everything you need is right there. I will be making this one again real soon!!

I have made several varying recipes using the original as a guide line. I been grooming it into something beautiful. Problem now it is not that close to Yeugling Traditional anymore. It is a excellent beer anyway. But I must say the original recipe is real close. I have 2 more experimental batches in 2ndary right now. We will see in a few weeks what they turn into!

I got a friend I will be brewing for soon that loves him some yuengling. So I should stick to the original then?

I brewed a variation of this about 10 days ago with an added lb of light Munich, a little less corn, Cluster hops for bittering. I tossed in about a 1/2 oz of chocolate malt to darken it up a tiny bit.

How did it come out?? I see you are drinking it right now.

It is definitely good. I've been too long without the real thing, so I can't say exactly how close it is. Color is definitely on. I definitely enjoyed drinking this over the summer.

It is definitely good. I've been too long without the real thing, so I can't say exactly how close it is. Color is definitely on. I definitely enjoyed drinking this over the summer.
What temp did you mash at? My last 2 batches I mashed at 154-153 and don't taste near as good as my first batch, which was suppose to be at 153 but ended up at 151.

What temp did you mash at? My last 2 batches I mashed at 154-153 and don't taste near as good as my first batch, which was suppose to be at 153 but ended up at 151.

Actually, I mashed pretty low- 149 or so. It still came out maltier, not very dry. Not sure why. I didn't get great attenuation.

Back