is there any simple stout recipe, with very simple ingredients???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallas

Reaction score
hi,
my name is tony, and i would like to ask you if there is any recipe to make all grain stout beer (dark) with simple ingredients, hops, barley (malted barley which i will make) yeast safale s04(thats what i have now). If there are recipes for making roasted barley that will help the main recipe, it would be great!!!
i dont have a store near me that i can buy malt extract, or kinds of black or crystal patent barley, so i have to do it by my self like roasting barley. I can also find wheat grains or corn, but generally simple ingredients. This will be my first attempt to make beer... please any help would be appreciated. this site really rocks :rockin::rockin::rockin:

Aw man, you'll be hooked like a fish after the first sip of a beer you made with your own two hands!

I've been thinking about roaring my own barley for a while now but it's very difficult unfortunately. What makes a modern toasted malt different from the next, depending on the genetics of the grain, the moisture content of the grain before toasting, the temperature at which its toasted and how long you toast it for, and some grains are toasted multiple times under multiple temps. :p

I'm a shoot-from-the-hip type brewer and just end up throwing things into the pot.

Here's the last stout I did and thought it came out pretty well.

---5 gallon batch-----
6# pale ale malt (45L)
2# pilsner malt
1# briess caramel (40L)
2/3# english black

Mash @ 152F (67C) for 60 minutes
1 hr boil with hop addition @ 20 minutes (1 oz Zeus 14% AA)
Cool & pitch yeast (Muntons Ale yeast)

It's fairly low ABV. The Muntons produced some fruity flavors that subsided in a few weeks. I imagine that roasting your own barely will produce enough variability that you could just do 9# of base malt +2/3# of dark malt to get a full range of flavor.

I did a dry stout last dec. that was delish and scored a 41 in competition. I feel like its pretty simple, with ingredients easily found online (waaaaay easier than making your own).

Recipe:

7 lbs English pale
1 lb roasted barely
.5 chocolate
.5 flaked barley

.5 oz norther brewer @ 60
1 oz northdown @ 15

Wyeast 1098 British ale fermented 2 weeks @65

OG- 1.044
FG- 1.016
IBU- 37
SRM- 40
ABV- 3.7%

It was really smooth and roasty. If I did it again I'd just do 1 lb flaked barley to make it a touch creamier and mash a little lower so it would finish with a lower FG.

Not sure how helpful a recipe will be if you are malting and roasting all your own grains. Your products won't really match any commercial products.

Totally generic stout recipe from homemade grains.

10 lbs malted barley
1lb very dark roasted barley
0.5 lbs medium-dark roasted barley
1oz golding @60
1oz golding @15

thank you for your replies, i am waiting for more recipes like the one above..

Wow, you're really diving in headfirst. First brew, and it's all grain, and you're malting your own barley? I applaud your ambition.

Anyway, billl's recipe looks like a good starter. If you want to get even more adventurous, you could try making both roasted barley and chocolate malt (unmalted barley for the former, malted barley for the latter). You could even make something vaguely like crystal malt, if you just roast it until it turns golden. If you wanted to go that route, you could make something like:

9 lbs pale malt
1 lbs medium/crystalish malt
.75 lbs roasted barley
.5 lbs chocolate malt
2oz Fuggles @ 60 (some people snarl about fuggles, but I think it makes a great bittering hop in a stout, as the earthiness blends into the roasty flavors)

Given that you're doing your own malting, it might be a good idea to do a full blown multistep mash (http://beersmith.com/blog/2013/02/08/multi-vs-single-step-mashing-for-home-brewing/), as your malt may not be as fully modified as a commercial product.

Good luck. I hope you keep this thread updated with your results.

Wow, you're really diving in headfirst. First brew, and it's all grain, and you're malting your own barley? I applaud your ambition.

Anyway, billl's recipe looks like a good starter. If you want to get even more adventurous, you could try making both roasted barley and chocolate malt (unmalted barley for the former, malted barley for the latter). You could even make something vaguely like crystal malt, if you just roast it until it turns golden. If you wanted to go that route, you could make something like:

9 lbs pale malt
1 lbs medium/crystalish malt
.75 lbs roasted barley
.5 lbs chocolate malt
2oz Fuggles @ 60 (some people snarl about fuggles, but I think it makes a great bittering hop in a stout, as the earthiness blends into the roasty flavors)

Given that you're doing your own malting, it might be a good idea to do a full blown multistep mash (http://beersmith.com/blog/2013/02/08/multi-vs-single-step-mashing-for-home-brewing/), as your malt may not be as fully modified as a commercial product.

Good luck. I hope you keep this thread updated with your results.

i found this video at youtube

which i think is easy to make malted barley with the barrel..
the only thing i worry is what taste will my beer have and how can i correct it?? thank you for your post, the multistep mashing is very interesting!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back