Bells Oberon Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fermented in primary at 63ºF for five days. Racked to secondary, added hops, bottled after two weeks.

QUOTE]

Just to clarify, are you saying here that the beer will spend 9 days in the secondary on the dry hops - or 2 weeks in the secondary on the dry hops?

Jhoss

PS - Major Ditto's on the Thank You's!

This I cultured up from two bottles of Bells Pale Ale. I used it on the Two Hearted Clone, Washed and ready to go. Next Up..Crypto's Oberon-decocted clone.
IMG_4427.jpg

I tried a clone from harvesting their yeast from an oberon bottle. Mine fermented at 68F and I feel like it was too clean so I would second the thought to ferment a bit warmer.

This I cultured up from two bottles of Bells Pale Ale. I used it on the Two Hearted Clone, Washed and ready to go. Next Up..Crypto's Oberon-decocted clone.
IMG_4427.jpg

You won't be disappointed, this recipe is top notch. We've drank 20 gallons of this so far in 2012.

Try fermenting it at 72. I hear that's the magic zone for the distinctive fruity esters.

I have this one going in my kegerator currently. I didn't do the decoction, fermented at room temp (70 degrees plus whatever heat the yeasties kicked up). It's two weeks since I took it off the dry-hops and the current fave in my lineup - great for hot weather. Mine turned out to have a little more hop in the nose than the original, but I'm assuming that will die down quickly, if it lasts that long. The ester levels are perfect.

Thanks very much for the recipe!

Hello everyone. I'm a noob when it comes to homebrewing and so most of these Oberon recipes are over my head at this stage of my homebrewing expertise.

I just had a queston about some of the extract kits available from some homebrewing suppliers.

Has anyone tried the extract kit available at Adventures in Homebrewing? I actually just brewed a batch of this kit last weekend but I can't find any reviews on it at all.

Right now it is in the primary fermentation bucket where I plan on keeping it for for around 24 days. Talked to a guy from AIH and he said he didn't see a need to transfer it to a carboy for secondary because it is a wheat beer so I'm just going to leave it go in the bucket unless someone thinks this is a bad idea.

Thanks, Matt

So how did it turn out- the kit from AIH? I was going to pick one up today but also found no reviews and didn't know if I should or try one of the other ideas?
Thanks!

So how did it turn out- the kit from AIH? I was going to pick one up today but also found no reviews and didn't know if I should or try one of the other ideas?
Thanks!

While I'm sure it's not quite as good as Crypto's recipe, I am very happy with the results! I actually changed up their recipe a bit and dry hopped with 1 oz of whole leaf cascade to try and get more of a citruicy flavor. While I don't have anything to compare to without dry hopping, I love the way it turned out with the dry hopping. Very happy with the result of this beer for being an extract kit! :ban:

In fact, I liked it so much, I already ordered another kit and plan on brewing batch #2 this weekend! :mug:

I also ordered their Fruit Wheat which I am making a Strawberry Wheat and I brewed that one last weekend. :)

Hi,
AIH is by where I work so I will by buying a lot from them. They have a summer wheat beer on sale for $20 (w/o yeast) and said this is their 3rd year doing it and it is very popular. I may pick that up today instead to try. She said they recommend adding some dried bitter orange peel and coriander. I think she recommended the vial yeast and I can't remember the number (I think it was American ale 2- looked that up and it is -http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=11). So now I am wondering which one to do now. This (with adding orange and coriander> http://www.homebrewing.org/Summer-Wheat-Bier-Special_p_1223.html or the Oberon clone>http://www.homebrewing.org/Solsun_p_607.html

Sorry if this is slightly off-topic
How did you do the strawberry (real or extract) and was it this kit (this one-http://homebrewing.org/assets/images/PDF/AIHrecipes/CherryWheat.pdf)? You will have to let us know how it turns out. I wanted to do a strawberry or raspberry wheat and not sure if this generic one would be a good base for that, or the one you did, or if someone has a better idea. Also with fruit beers, generally is adding real fruit or puree to these is way better than extract or not too noticeable since you are trying to be subtle.

Here is their recipe for Oberon btw- Since I'm new to brewing I have no idea if this sounds right, but it is different than the ones posted.

Malt Base 6 lb. Wheat Malt Extract or 7.2 lbs Liquid
Specialty Grains: 1/2 LB Caravienne , 1/2 Lb Munich
Hops: 2.5 HBU. Hallertau Hop Pellets (bittering), 4.5 HBU Saaz Hop Pellets
(Flavor and aroma)
Other: Saison Ale Yeast , Muslin Bag, Priming Sugar
Suggested Yeast: White Labs Saison, Wyeast 3724

This is their summer wheat and I see it shows some generic hops so I can ask what it is

Malt Base: 6 lbs. Wheat LME
Specialty Grains: 8 oz Flaked Wheat, 8 oz Flaked Oats
Hops: 15 IBU Bittering Hops
Other: Hop Sack, 5 oz. Priming Sugar
Suggested Yeast : American Hefeweizen Yeast

Thanks

It's different because it's an extract recipe and it's difficult to clone Oberon using extracts compared to AG recipes. But with that said, I was very happy how this Oberon clone turned out.

As for your questions regarding the fruit beers, I actually called someone at AIH and asked them that very question regarding which wheat beer would be best to use for a fruit wheat. I was actually considering just adding fresh strawberries to the Oberon kit, but he did recommend using the fruit wheat kit as opposed to their summer wheat kit or the Oberon kit. I am using fresh strawberries that came from a local grower that I cut and froze and am planning to add to my beer after primary. From what I've read, most would recommend using fresh fruit or a puree over extracts, but I've also read plenty of people happy with extracts as well. I'm planning on just tasting my brew just before I rack to my bottling bucket and then if I want more strawberry flavor, I'm going to go ahead and add some extract to taste.

Are you working in the Ann Arbor store?

No, I don't work at the AA store but by there. The guy I spoke with at the store told me differently, but it all opinion of the person who you get helping you of course. He suggested the wheat special and a dram of the strawberry flavor to put in at bottling. He said I may want to taste it after stirring in the extract and perhaps add more if that wasn't enough. They sell some bigger flavoring also: http://www.homebrewing.org/Strawberry-Flavoring-4-oz_p_259.html this is the small one I got- http://www.homebrewing.org/Strawberry-Flavoring-1-Dram-_p_2087.html

Since I'm new to this- I'm not sure what this means exactly but my OG looked to be right on 1.040 and the recipe says OG: 1.048. Will mine be less alcohol content or higher?

Just a quick question on this, I've got some unmalted wheat that I'm wanting to do a protein rest with for an oberon clone very soon. I've got some bell's yeast I've been stepping up from a sixer of Oarsman ale. I will most likely do a decoction up to the 150 range. Should I protein rest the wheat only for 20 min or so and then add the rest of the malt, or just throw it all together? I've never done unmalted wheat before or a decoction.

Also, what are anyone's thoughts on how this will affect the beer? I would think it would maybe be more yellow and cloudy?

Just a quick question on this, I've got some unmalted wheat that I'm wanting to do a protein rest with for an oberon clone very soon. I've got some bell's yeast I've been stepping up from a sixer of Oarsman ale. I will most likely do a decoction up to the 150 range. Should I protein rest the wheat only for 20 min or so and then add the rest of the malt, or just throw it all together? I've never done unmalted wheat before or a decoction.

Also, what are anyone's thoughts on how this will affect the beer? I would think it would maybe be more yellow and cloudy?

I can't confirm the accuracy of this, but you may want to worry more about your yeast than your mashing schedule. According to this thread, Oarsman uses a different strain... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/bells-yeast-should-i-culture-284308/

However, Bell's website says that they use the house strain...
http://www.bellsbeer.com/brands/22-Oarsman Ale

I'd love to know if this is the case because if so, Oarsman does seem like an ideal choice for harvesting due to sediment and low ABV.

EDIT: Ok so I should probably read the whole thread before posting :drunk:, in the link I provided there are conflicting opinions on whether Oarsman yeast uses the house strain, so seems like siding with Bell's website is the safe bet.

Yea I saw that thread too. Hopefully it turns out nice. Oarsman is a partial wheat I think as well, so I would think they would use the same. I used 5 bottles of dregs and checked the date as almost 4 months old. Seems to be propagatin' nicely:)

Update:

Three months is probably too old for a Bell's yeast I think. It was infected...had a nasty corn smell. Anyways using Wyeat 1272 American Ale for this one and decocted. Excited about this one!

I was lucky enough to have my neighbor give me Oberon keg dregs for a nice starter, there was krausen after 4-6 hours.

I plan on using Crypo's decoction recipe from post #159 scaled for an 11g batch. I've never done decoction mash and am using Beersmith to plan out the raises. It's showing 14qt to boil for the 133-155 jump and 11.9 qt boil to hit 168 with an additional fly sparge of ~5 gallons. Do you guys use 2qt/lb ratio? I'll probably just batch sparge with a braid the last ~5 gallons to hit volume unless someone has a case for why that's a bad idea with decoction mashing.

Thanks!

I've batch sparged with a braid 4 times this year so far with this recipe...all have been magnificent. No problem with your plan whatsoever. Go for it!

And yes, I use a higher qt/lb ratio when doing decoctions. For this recipe 2 qt/lb has worked great for me.

I've batch sparged with a braid 4 times this year so far with this recipe...all have been magnificent. No problem with your plan whatsoever. Go for it!

And yes, I use a higher qt/lb ratio when doing decoctions. For this recipe 2 qt/lb has worked great for me.

Thanks! Yesterday was my first 'Fun with Decoction ' Day for a batch of Oberon. I was a few pounds short of 2 row so had to fill in with MO. Might have to call it Oberwon Kanobi if it turns out well.

Well, I gave it a rip this weekend. A fine day. Some notes to help out any other newbies to this recipe or to decoction.
The recipe/ingredients.
6 lbs. 2 row (brewers malt)
4 lbs. American white wheat
.5 carapils (8 lovibond)

3 oz Saaz (3.5 % AA)
1 oz Cascade (5.5% AA)

Strike water original recipe called for 136 for a target rest at 133 for 15 mins) - I think the 136 was a typo - went to 146...nailed it. (10 gal. round cooler mash tun).
First Decoction, Original recipe called for pulling 3 qts, again, I think typo and qts. should be gallons and somewhat thick mash. Boil for up to 10 mins and add back to reach target temp of 155. Rest for 60 mins.

Second Decoction, pull 1 gallon bring to boil, return to reach target temp of 168 for 15 mins. (1 gallon aint enough - pull approx. 2).

I stirred (there is lots of stirring in I started the fly sparge. about 2/3rds of the way done, the runoff was frightenly clear. I stopped and stirred it up some more, vorloufed and continued.

The preboil volume (about 6.5) measured 1.052 (refractometer), boiled down to 1.058 in an hour...this is a long brew session - I was good with the 1058. (added 1 oz Saaz at 30 and 15 and got an ounce left with an ounce of Cascade to dry hop).

Pitched my Bells yeast reharvest. Check out the protein layer on top of the grist in the mash tun after draining...
Protein-break-Oberon-clone.jpg

My batch brewed Labor Day weekend has been in the bottle(s) for two weeks - will try on the 21rst day (Oct 14th) - I remember the hydro sample and I'm a bit anxious to try this - my first "yellow" beer.

When racking over to secondary I poured my hydro sample into a glass for visibility and for proper tasting. As I stated earlier, It was very drinkable warm and flat.
Glass-warm-flat-2.jpg

I tried a clone from harvesting their yeast from an oberon bottle. Mine fermented at 68F and I feel like it was too clean so I would second the thought to ferment a bit warmer.

I let mine ride at 73-4 ambient and its got waaay too much citrus bite.

The culture was from a large volume of keg dregs and took off almost immediately so I think it was clean yeast but it almost tastes infected.

Well, I gave it a rip this weekend. A fine day. Some notes to help out any other newbies to this recipe or to decoction.
The recipe/ingredients.
6 lbs. 2 row (brewers malt)
4 lbs. American white wheat
.5 carapils (8 lovibond)

3 oz Saaz (3.5 % AA)
1 oz Cascade (5.5% AA)

Strike water original recipe called for 136 for a target rest at 133 for 15 mins) - I think the 136 was a typo - went to 146...nailed it. (10 gal. round cooler mash tun).
First Decoction, Original recipe called for pulling 3 qts, again, I think typo and qts. should be gallons and somewhat thick mash. Boil for up to 10 mins and add back to reach target temp of 155. Rest for 60 mins.

Second Decoction, pull 1 gallon bring to boil, return to reach target temp of 168 for 15 mins. (1 gallon aint enough - pull approx. 2).

I stirred (there is lots of stirring in I started the fly sparge. about 2/3rds of the way done, the runoff was frightenly clear. I stopped and stirred it up some more, vorloufed and continued.

The preboil volume (about 6.5) measured 1.052 (refractometer), boiled down to 1.058 in an hour...this is a long brew session - I was good with the 1058. (added 1 oz Saaz at 30 and 15 and got an ounce left with an ounce of Cascade to dry hop).

Pitched my Bells yeast reharvest. Check out the protein layer on top of the grist in the mash tun after draining...
Protein-break-Oberon-clone.jpg

I'm interested in what the final gravity of this was and how it tastes. Based on your explanation, you skipped the protein rest at 133 and mashed at ~143 for 15 min. Then, you pulled most of the mash (somewhere around 4 gallons total), boiled it, brought the main mash to around 185 for 60 minutes. I would think you would have extracted a crazy amount of tannins and potentially have an incomplete conversion after a 15 minute mash and such a long rest at high temperatures.

Did you check your mash temps after each decoction, or is your recap inaccurate?

I'm interested in what the final gravity of this was and how it tastes. Based on your explanation, you skipped the protein rest at 133 and mashed at ~143 for 15 min. Then, you pulled most of the mash (somewhere around 4 gallons total), boiled it, brought the main mash to around 185 for 60 minutes. I would think you would have extracted a crazy amount of tannins and potentially have an incomplete conversion after a 15 minute mash and such a long rest at high temperatures.

Did you check your mash temps after each decoction, or is your recap inaccurate?

I think your recap of the recap is innaccurate...

I read that he did not skip the protein rest but rather changed the temperature of the water from 136 to 146 in order to get the mash temp to 133.

Next he pulled the first decoction of about 3 gallons (instead of 3 qts which would not do anything) boiled it and then added it back to the mash in order to bring the temperature up to 155°.

2nd decoction he brought 1 gallon of the grist to a boil and then added it back in order to bring the mash temp up to 168°.

Nowhere do I see that he mashed in at 185°. Either you quoted the wrong post or you are severely misunderstanding the previous post.

Hope my explanation helps?!~

I think your recap of the recap is innaccurate...

I read that he did not skip the protein rest but rather changed the temperature of the water from 136 to 146 in order to get the mash temp to 133.

Next he pulled the first decoction of about 3 gallons (instead of 3 qts which would not do anything) boiled it and then added it back to the mash in order to bring the temperature up to 155°.

2nd decoction he brought 1 gallon of the grist to a boil and then added it back in order to bring the mash temp up to 168°.

Nowhere do I see that he mashed in at 185°. Either you quoted the wrong post or you are severely misunderstanding the previous post.

Hope my explanation helps?!~

I think you're right about the strike temp, I was thrown by the massive heat loss, but a 3 gallon decoction does not bring the mash to 155. It's physics, that's why the technique was developed. Boiling 3 gallons of a ~4 gallon mash and adding it back to the main mash brings the temperature to around 180.

Either the volumes in the post were wrong or the temperatures were.

I think you're right about the strike temp, I was thrown by the massive heat loss, but a 3 gallon decoction does not bring the mash to 155. It's physics, that's why the technique was developed. Boiling 3 gallons of a ~4 gallon mash and adding it back to the main mash brings the temperature to around 180.

Either the volumes in the post were wrong or the temperatures were.

I apologize.. I did not look up the calculations...

It does appear that in order to raise the temperature from 133 to 155, you would only need 9 pints or 4.5 quarts or 1.125 gallons of boiling decoction.

I apologize.. I did not look up the calculations...

It does appear that in order to raise the temperature from 133 to 155, you would only need 9 pints or 4.5 quarts or 1.125 gallons of boiling decoction.

No apologies necessary, at least you figured out the strike temperature question for me. The only reason I know how wildly off that decoction was is because I brewed this recipe in the last couple months.

I'm just trying to see if those values are correct and what effect it had on the final product. A good brewer can learn from his own mistakes, a great brewer can learn from the mistakes of others.

Hi Guys,

I chilled a bunch on Thursday morn. And tried today Saturday. Outstanding! And my Friend says I nailed the Oberon. I can't take the credit. I owe this thread. To Hilife and Jofacto, Sorry I was so cryptic in my description of my recap. I think 'facto, deciphered my giberish quite well. If your thinking of brewing this - I say do it!

Jhoss

Down to my last 3 bottles. I got a co-worker, he's a crotchety ole' f'ck and I tell him so. He'll barbecue me on a sub-par brew - absolutely brutal. A raging endorsement is "not bad". He won't touch a BMC beer - I like that about him - I tell him that too.

Gave him a couple of these Oberon clones. He texts me, yeah, he texts me to say, get this, .....Awesome! Says his wife was the same. He tells me she suggests that he thinks about getting into home-brewing if that can be the result.

Some days are diamonds guys.

Jhoss

So, I've successfully harvested some Bells yeast from some Bells Amber Ales and I'm planning on brewing up a batch of this recipe this weekend and had a question.

I do BIAB and was planning on doing the decoction mash like the recipe states. Here is the system I use for normal brews. I do BIAB in a 7.5 gal. kettle so I can't do full volume BIAB's. What I do instead is mash in about 6 gallons of water. I have a 5 gal kettle that I heat about 2.5 gallons of water to 170F while I'm mashing in the large kettle. Once the mash is done, I then mashout in the large kettle and then pull/drain the bag and transfer it to the small kettle for a sparge for 20 minutes. I then combine all the liquid into the large kettle for the boil.

My question is, after the second decoction to get to the mashout step, would it be ok to sparge the grain bag like I do with my other brews? My first BIAB was done without a sparge and my efficiency #'s were way low. Since I added the sparge, I've been hitting 80-85% efficiency so I'm hoping it will be ok to sparge after the decoction mash is done.

Thanks. :mug:

Well, I didn't get around to brewing this until the other night. I went ahead and did a sparge after the final decoction/mashout and ended up with about 7 gal. for my pre-boil volume. After the boil and racking the beer to my fermenter, I am glad to say the OG reading I took was spot on at 1.059. :mug:

Also, glad to say my first attempt at harvesting yeast from Bells bottles was a success as my fermenter is happily bubbling away as I type this! I had some Wyeast as a backup in case there was no action from my harvested yeast, but I'm happy I didn't have to use it!

I've only made an extract clone of this beer and, while it was a good beer, it wasn't Oberon. I am stoked to see how this recipe turns out. :)

Btw, I love my holiday ales during the winter months, but it will be nice to be able to crack open some Oberons to remind me of summer during the doldrums of winter! Yet another reason I love homebrewing!!! :mug:

is in the secondary on dry hops. Plan to bottle on Tuesday Dec 12. Absolute final gravity is EXACTLY the same as the first batch 1011 maybe 1012. (My starting was 1055 or so). This second batch I used commercial yeast Wyeast 1272 as per recommended by my consul. Just a note to let you all know it is acting EXACTLY like my first batch using cultured Bell's yeast.
Jhoss

Just ran into this thread (old one at that) and i did just read the WHOLE thing.. saw a lot of great looking recipes! I would love to point out though i saw cascade in every recipe but one.. and from talking to Larry (Bell) and what i read in "brewing with wheat" they quote larry saaz and hersbrucker(hallertau) for 26ibus and i know from talking to larry the "house" strain of yeast is not all the same.. amber, oberon and best brown are the same ones.. their pale isnt the same but is to clone hopslam or two hearted.. and they do bottle condition with the same fermentation yeast

dont get me wrong i love cascade and its a great way to make it your own.. but this was discussed as a "clone" recipe so i just thought i would set some stuff straight.. other than that lets keep it going! seeing some great stuff on here cant wait to brew mine up again

Just ran into this thread (old one at that) and i did just read the WHOLE thing.. saw a lot of great looking recipes! I would love to point out though i saw cascade in every recipe but one.. and from talking to Larry (Bell) and what i read in "brewing with wheat" they quote larry saaz and hersbrucker(hallertau) for 26ibus and i know from talking to larry the "house" strain of yeast is not all the same.. amber, oberon and best brown are the same ones.. their pale isnt the same but is to clone hopslam or two hearted.. and they do bottle condition with the same fermentation yeast

dont get me wrong i love cascade and its a great way to make it your own.. but this was discussed as a "clone" recipe so i just thought i would set some stuff straight.. other than that lets keep it going! seeing some great stuff on here cant wait to brew mine up again

I used crypto's recipe from back on page 2 of this thread. All of my hop additions during the boil were Saaz like crypto's recipe. However, I too used Cascade for the dry hop for the aroma you get. My thinking was dry hopping with Cascade would give that citruicy flavor you get when you drink an Oberon.

As far as the yeast, this seems to be one of the most conflicting reports on this forum. I've read numerous posts from people in contact with the brewery that were told that most of the ales, including all the ones you listed above, use the same propietary strain of yeast and that they ferment the different beers at different temps to bring out different flavor profiles. I just dropped an email to the brewery to see what kind of response I get from them. Hopefully they can clarify some of these discrepancies. :mug:

I harvested yeast from a sixer of Bells Pale Ale (obviously no Oberon was available to harvest from in the middle of winter here in Ohio) for my first attempt at this recipe. It has been conditioning in the bottles for almost 2 weeks now and I cracked one open the other night just to see how it was coming along and I have to say, I am throroughly impressed! If the Pale Ale isn't the same propietary strain of yeast they use in Oberon, it's damn close...

The house strain is used in Pale Ale, Amber Ale, Two Hearted, Oarsman, Third Coast, Best Brown, Porter, Oberon and probably some others I missed. This was confirmed to me directly by one of the brewers. I've used Pale Ale for a culture before and it worked very well.

Well larry told my boss and i that they have 2 seperate "house strains" (while golfing, so it wasnt like he was trying avoid "info") like i stated its not worth arguing about.. if u cloned it and it was good then more power to ya.. why we get to create this wonderful stuff!

It's nice and drinkable don't get me wrong. But, I had an Oberon at my pub then ran home and popped this clone. There is lots of differences, to the point I don't feel right saying "Hey! - try my Oberon clone"...now its just my hoppy wheat beer. Its nice, its my second batch and I will brew it again but there's got to be something else to get closer IMO.

Now on the Two Hearted clone - I have no problem with the "clone" connotation. It is very very close - close enough to be called clone for sure.

Jhoss

It's nice and drinkable don't get me wrong. But, I had an Oberon at my pub then ran home and popped this clone. There is lots of differences, to the point I don't feel right saying "Hey! - try my Oberon clone"...now its just my hoppy wheat beer. Its nice, its my second batch and I will brew it again but there's got to be something else to get closer IMO.

Now on the Two Hearted clone - I have no problem with the "clone" connotation. It is very very close - close enough to be called clone for sure.

Jhoss

What did you do different between this batch and your last batch that you said was pretty much spot on? Could it be the yeast that made such a difference?

This was my first attempt at this recipe and I must say, I'm quite impressed. I don't have any Oberon to do a side by side, but it is quite tastey! :mug:

The only difference between first batch and second batch? A side by side comparision. I didnt do this on the first batch - didn't feel compelled to - It is delicious in and of itself. But this last "chance happening" clued me into - " hey - this is not what I was drinking 10 minutes ago"

Back