Help with Ferm Chamber/Stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bizmark23

Reaction score
Ok so my next project was going to be a tiered brew stand but Im really in the need also for a fermentation chamber. So my thought was to combine the two. Im limited on space so I cant go to crazy w/DIY projects around.

Here is the rough layout of what Im thinking. I would be putting casters on the bottom to move it out on brew day and be able to get it back into place for storage. The open area you see would have doors on it for access. The sealed area is where I was thinking of putting the guts of a mini fridge for cooling. I would have fans in the shelf for air flow, insides would be insulated.

Looking for ideas, thoughts, and obvious things I may be missing. Thanks for the input and Ill keep the progress posted.

CHEERS!

brewstand.jpg

After doing some more research on this.... seems like taking apart a mini fridge may be more of a headache than its worth. Looked into maybe doing a small AC unit. Found a reasonable one at Lowes and HomeDepot (5000 BTU) that will fit under the bottom shelf (enclosed area in the picture). Anyone have any luck going this direction?

Thanks again!

I would be concerned about sloshing my fermenting beer around while wheeling it from place to place on brew day. Not to mention the 200lbs of beer plus weight of 5 buckets/carboys or more if you cram them in there.

I would be concerned about sloshing my fermenting beer around while wheeling it from place to place on brew day. Not to mention the 200lbs of beer plus weight of 5 buckets/carboys or more if you cram them in there.

Thanks. Yeah I thought of that. The most I would be wheeling it would be approx 5 feet on smooth garage floor. The weight I can figure out and make sure its enough support. Dont think Im going to be putting a ton of carboys in there. I usually only have 3 or 4 fermenting at once.

Def some valid points and ones im concerned with. Also thinking that I may just use the bottom for fermenting and the top for storage. Just small stuff.

I just built one this week with an AC unit. I picked it up on Craigslist for about $40. I had an SS top table that I removed the legs from and built insulated walls for it. I now still have a table to use, but the lower portion is a double door cabinet that I can roll my two sanke fermenters into.

Ferm_Chamber.jpg

Thanks. Yeah I thought of that. The most I would be wheeling it would be approx 5 feet on smooth garage floor. The weight I can figure out and make sure its enough support. Dont think Im going to be putting a ton of carboys in there. I usually only have 3 or 4 fermenting at once.

Def some valid points and ones im concerned with. Also thinking that I may just use the bottom for fermenting and the top for storage. Just small stuff.

Cool, you'd probably be good if you keep the heavy stuff on the bottom. I'd also be worried about it being top heavy if the carboys are up top.

Back