Maris Otter uses?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onescalerguy

Reaction score
Got 40# of this in my last order and am wondering what to make with it.This is a base grain right?We make a lot of hoppy pale ales and wheaty ales and pilsner style lagers.Any suggestions?Thanks.
Cheers:mug:

I've got a sack coming on Friday!

It's a base malt. Known for being a quite, well, "malty" malt. Classic for English ales. It'll work great in American ales that you want to have a strong backbone to them - good counterbalance for some aggressively-hopped pale ales and IPAs. Might not be what you want for a Pilsner, though (that's why they make Pils malt ;)). Might be a little bit dark. I'm not sure about using it for a wheat beer, either; most hefe recipes I have seen call for Pils malt, but then it's also classic to decoct them to bring out the malty character, so it should work fine.

We use it in our Irish Red that has been a huge hit. For me, it's hit or miss...sometimes I taste a weird flavor with it, other times I don't.

I agree with bird, it's great for anything that's not a wheat, heffe or dry pale ale. I think if you used if for Sierra Nevada clone, it wouldn't be too great, but for a malty pale ale, it should work pretty well. I tend to use it as a base for my maltier ales and IPAs.

I use Maris Otter as my house base malt. Pretty much everything you can think of other than a pilsner, I use it for. Though, I also just got a 55lb bag of Munich...so we'll see where I go from here.

Personally, MO (especially Gleneagles malted) is my favorite base malt, though. English recipe or not, it's awesome.

Maris Otter is a British malting variety so it works well in all British style ales such as bitters, pale ales, British IPA, etc. As a malt, it is known for its malty and somewhat "grape like" flavor. For this to come through and to get the most out of Maris Otter it should be used in more malt focused beers. I agree with others, not the first choice in lagers.

Dr Malt:mug:

I'm going to be using Maris Otter in my Scottish Ale since it is a malty beer in the first place.

orfy said:
Just about anything apart from lagers and maybe wheat beers.

Me too. I use it as the base malt in everything I do except lagers. But, I even use it as 50% of grain in my hefe.

/Phil.

See, I'm still not sure about wheat beers.

Classic for a hefe is 50% wheat, 50% Pils. But, it's also classic to decoct to develop some melanoidins, which darkens the beer and brings out some maltiness.

So, what happens if you sub in Maris Otter (at its heart, "maltier" than Pils malt) for the Pils, but don't decoct? Or, you only decoct for a short period? Does that work, too?

For a light *American* wheat, I'd stay away.... for a hefe, I probably would, too. For a dunkelweizen or a weizenbock (is there a difference?), I'm thinking Maris Otter would be a nice choice.

I am purchasing some Maris Otter LME and standard MO malt tomorrow for a recipe I'm putting together tonight. From what I read, it seems that a good 12%Barley Wine awaits my brew pot. Either that or if I can't wait a year to drink it than a strong English Christmas Ale around 8%.

Secondary: Irish Red Ale
Just bottled: Tripel @ 8.6%
On tap: Pumpkin Ale, Chocolate Stout, Coriander Red

Latest posts

Back